CA-SEN: Feinstein has two GOP endorsements
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:23:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-SEN: Feinstein has two GOP endorsements
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11
Poll
Question: Does Feinstein win Orange County?
Feinstein wins regardless of opponent

Yes vs. R or no-name D, no vs. KDL

Yes vs. R, no vs. any D

Yes vs. D, no vs. R

Feinstein loses regardless of opponent

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: CA-SEN: Feinstein has two GOP endorsements  (Read 22254 times)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: July 22, 2018, 11:39:20 PM »

What are de Leon's chances right now?

It's possible that he might get ~35% or so of the vote, given that's he received the endorsement of the State Democratic Party. I also think that he will win at least Imperial County, and maybe one or two others. But he still going to lose by a wide margin, and will probably do worse than Cox. Without the endorsement, he would be doing even worse.
Might de Leon win Humboldt and/or Merced? Does Feinstein still win Orange County?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #226 on: July 22, 2018, 11:44:27 PM »

It's possible that he might get ~35% or so of the vote, given that's he received the endorsement of the State Democratic Party. I also think that he will win at least Imperial County, and maybe one or two others. But he still going to lose by a wide margin, and will probably do worse than Cox. Without the endorsement, he would be doing even worse.
Might de Leon win Humboldt and/or Merced? Does Feinstein still win Orange County?

I don't know about the first two, but I suspect Feinstein will carry Orange County, since she is the more "centrist" of the two. Republican voters who cast a ballot for Senate will back her because of that, and because of the fact that she is the long-time incumbent.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #227 on: July 22, 2018, 11:48:16 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2018, 12:09:56 AM by ERM64man »

I don't know about the first two, but I suspect Feinstein will carry Orange County, since she is the more "centrist" of the two. Republican voters who cast a ballot for Senate will back her because of that, and because of the fact that she is the long-time incumbent.
Merced has a very large Hispanic population. Humboldt is extremely liberal. What are de Leon's chances in those types of counties?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #228 on: July 22, 2018, 11:49:59 PM »

Merced is majority Hispanic. Humboldt is extremely liberal. What are de Leon's chances in those types of counties?

Given what you told me about them, they might be the one or two other counties that he carries. So, I would say his chances are maybe 50-50. Most of the Republican counties in Central and northeastern California will vote for Feinstein, just like they did for Harris.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #229 on: July 22, 2018, 11:52:46 PM »

Merced is majority Hispanic. Humboldt is extremely liberal. What are de Leon's chances in those types of counties?

Given what you told me about them, they might be the one or two other counties that he carries. So, I would say his chances are maybe 50-50. Most of the Republican counties in Central and northeastern California will vote for Feinstein, just like they did for Harris.
Might de Leon win Mendocino? Mendocino is similar to Humboldt; heavily white and rural, but very liberal.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #230 on: July 22, 2018, 11:54:35 PM »

Might de Leon win Mendocino? Mendocino is similar to Humboldt; heavily white and rural, but very liberal.

Again, possibly, but I'm not an expert on California politics. I'm only making guesses, based on what you're telling me and on what I know about this race. A result similar to that of Harris vs. Sanchez, overall, would not surprise me. That would still be a ~22 pt. victory for Feinstein.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #231 on: July 23, 2018, 01:29:27 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2018, 01:59:18 AM by Interlocutor »

California also has some pro-choice Republicans like Arun Bhumitra, who finished in the top four.

"De Leon sucks in polls"
"De Leon sucks in polls: Part 1.5"
"De Leon sucks in Imperial County"
"De Leon sucks in his own Senate district"
"De Leon sucks with Hispanics"
"De Leon sucks with fellow legislative leaders"
"De Leon sucks with Progressive Caucus (Somehow wins CDP endorsement)"
"De Leon sucks with fundraising"

New addition!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #232 on: July 23, 2018, 07:41:56 AM »

Seriously, these titles are ridiculous.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #233 on: July 23, 2018, 02:44:58 PM »

I'm not sure that Merced's high Hispanic population will lead to a De Leon victory there.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #234 on: July 23, 2018, 02:49:43 PM »

I'm not sure that Merced's high Hispanic population will lead to a De Leon victory there.
Is Feinstein in good shape to win Orange County? Is de Leon in good shape to win Humboldt County?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #235 on: July 23, 2018, 03:26:41 PM »

His fundraising is still very poor. How well will he do after receiving the state party's endorsement?

Merced has a very large Hispanic population. Humboldt is extremely liberal. What are de Leon's chances in those types of counties?

Is Feinstein in good shape to win Orange County? Is de Leon in good shape to win Humboldt County?

So many questions in 17 hours. Gonna keep it simple and predict he won't win any counties.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #236 on: July 29, 2018, 06:47:04 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2018, 04:52:51 AM by ERM64man »

Two Republicans endorse Feinstein: Doug Ose and Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #237 on: July 30, 2018, 04:43:28 AM »

[img=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_California,_2018#Endorsements_2]http://Two Republicans endorse Feinstein: Doug Ose and Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger[/img].

Republicans support the Republican candidate. News at 11.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #238 on: July 31, 2018, 01:29:13 AM »

Does de Leon do better in Los Angeles County (his home county) or Orange County?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #239 on: July 31, 2018, 12:23:18 PM »

Does de Leon do better in Los Angeles County (his home county) or Orange County?

Probably LA.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2018, 05:35:44 PM »

Does de Leon do better in LA County or Humboldt County? De Leon is from LA, but Humboldt's Democrats are far more liberal.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2018, 05:38:00 PM »

[img=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_California,_2018#Endorsements_2]http://Two Republicans endorse Feinstein: Doug Ose and Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger[/img].

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2018, 08:51:58 PM »

How is Feinstein the Republican candidate? She is still a staunch liberal Democrat in most aspects (particularly on issues such as gun control and judicial nominations), so I'm not sure where the logic for this argument comes from.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #243 on: August 01, 2018, 05:31:13 AM »

How is Feinstein the Republican candidate? She is still a staunch liberal Democrat in most aspects (particularly on issues such as gun control and judicial nominations), so I'm not sure where the logic for this argument comes from.

"Judicial nominations" isn't a policy issue, and gun control isn't really a left-right issue in any ideological sense.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #244 on: August 01, 2018, 07:01:01 PM »

"Judicial nominations" isn't a policy issue, and gun control isn't really a left-right issue in any ideological sense.

How can you say that "judicial nominations" aren't a policy issue? Partisan battles are waged over a great many such nominations, particularly those over Supreme Court seats. Federal judges and justices can make decisions that have a substantive impact on all areas of public policy, especially on issues such as criminal justice, immigration, voting rights, gerrymandering, freedom of speech, religion, and business regulation. And Feinstein has opposed a considerable number of Trump's nominees. As for gun control, Democrats and Republicans are diametrically opposed on the issue, and Feinstein's views are clearly on the left side of that debate.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #245 on: August 01, 2018, 07:27:01 PM »

How can you say that "judicial nominations" aren't a policy issue? Partisan battles are waged over a great many such nominations, particularly those over Supreme Court seats. Federal judges and justices can make decisions that have a substantive impact on all areas of public policy, especially on issues such as criminal justice, immigration, voting rights, gerrymandering, freedom of speech, religion, and business regulation. And Feinstein has opposed a considerable number of Trump's nominees. As for gun control, Democrats and Republicans are diametrically opposed on the issue, and Feinstein's views are clearly on the left side of that debate.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #246 on: August 01, 2018, 07:37:34 PM »

I don't think the cross party endorsements really mean much regarding ideology especially when they come from people who hold officially non-partisan offices. Kathryn Barger is fairly moderate and the only Republican on the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors which is a position where being on good terms with higher level elected officials is beneficial to bringing money for projects to your district. For the most part Feinstein isn't going to get many Republican endorsements because she is still far too liberal for them even if she's not liberal enough for many progressives.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #247 on: August 01, 2018, 11:32:44 PM »

I don't think the cross party endorsements really mean much regarding ideology especially when they come from people who hold officially non-partisan offices. Kathryn Barger is fairly moderate and the only Republican on the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors which is a position where being on good terms with higher level elected officials is beneficial to bringing money for projects to your district. For the most part Feinstein isn't going to get many Republican endorsements because she is still far too liberal for them even if she's not liberal enough for many progressives.
Doug Ose held a partisan office. Darrell Issa endorsed Loretta Sanchez in 2016.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #248 on: August 03, 2018, 10:29:09 PM »

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Sen-Feinstein-had-a-Chinese-connection-she-13121441.php

You must be logged in to read this quote.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #249 on: August 03, 2018, 10:39:49 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsf8LnThk5Y
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies