CA-SEN: Feinstein has two GOP endorsements (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:38:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-SEN: Feinstein has two GOP endorsements (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does Feinstein win Orange County?
Feinstein wins regardless of opponent

Yes vs. R or no-name D, no vs. KDL

Yes vs. R, no vs. any D

Yes vs. D, no vs. R

Feinstein loses regardless of opponent

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: CA-SEN: Feinstein has two GOP endorsements  (Read 22213 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: June 08, 2018, 07:14:12 PM »

That is a very bad sign. Candidates who lose their own state or district are definitely not the best candidates. What are the predictions here as to how the Feinstein vs. De Leon race will look like in November? Will California Republicans who don't leave their Senate spot on the ballot blank back Feinstein, because she is the entrenched incumbent and more to the center? And are there any counties that De Leon might have a chance of winning?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 09:21:00 PM »

That is a very bad sign. Candidates who lose their own state or district are definitely not the best candidates. What are the predictions here as to how the Feinstein vs. De Leon race will look like in November? Will California Republicans who don't leave their Senate spot on the ballot blank back Feinstein, because she is the entrenched incumbent and more to the center? And are there any counties that De Leon might have a chance of winning?
De Leon could win Imperial or Humboldt, though not guaranteed. My Republican relatives will all vote for Feinstein.

I see. Why are Californians so invested in Feinstein, if I may ask? She is 85 years old, and has been in the Senate for more than a quarter of a century. Is seniority really more important than having someone who reflects your state's political stances?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 09:33:34 PM »

De Leon could win Imperial or Humboldt, though not guaranteed. My Republican relatives will all vote for Feinstein.

I see. Why are Californians so invested in Feinstein, if I may ask? She is 85 years old, and has been in the Senate for more than a quarter of a century. Is seniority really more important than having someone who reflects your state's political stances?
Feinstein is still popular in California. Only a vocal minority of Democrats oppose Feinstein.

That makes sense. Many of those who post on this forum would, I assume, fit into this category. The Atlas community does have a tendency of taking political positions that depart from the views held by most voters. But I still think concerns about Feinstein's age and health are valid ones. In my opinion, no Senator should be in office much past the age of 70. One of the greatest failings of our Founding Fathers is that they did not impose term limits. I think our politics would work much better if people like Feinstein, Grassley, Leahy, Inhofe, Hatch, McConnell, etc. were no longer in office.

But in any case, if the voters in California are satisfied with Feinstein's performance, than it is their right to reelect her. Do you think Feinstein will be able to reach 70% of the vote? And will she carry every congressional district in the state?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 12:37:20 PM »

Feinstein is still popular in California. Only a vocal minority of Democrats oppose Feinstein.

That makes sense. Many of those who post on this forum would, I assume, fit into this category. The Atlas community does have a tendency of taking political positions that depart from the views held by most voters. But I still think concerns about Feinstein's age and health are valid ones. In my opinion, no Senator should be in office much past the age of 70. One of the greatest failings of our Founding Fathers is that they did not impose term limits. I think our politics would work much better if people like Feinstein, Grassley, Leahy, Inhofe, Hatch, McConnell, etc. were no longer in office.

But in any case, if the voters in California are satisfied with Feinstein's performance, than it is their right to reelect her. Do you think Feinstein will be able to reach 70% of the vote? And will she carry every congressional district in the state?

Bringing this forward, as I am genuinely curious about these questions.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:10:24 PM »

For the gazillionth time...

NO ONE KNOWS WHO DE LEON IS.

And most people just consider Feinstein to be "Generic Democrat", and don't have a problem with that.

That’s true. Not even Kevin’s wife knows who he is. She also voted for Feinstein.

If I were a California voter, I would probably vote for Feinstein, just to maintain the status quo. De Leon seems too far left for me, and although I would rather Feinstein retire, due to her age, I also don't think De Leon would be a suitable replacement.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 11:17:43 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2018, 11:45:07 PM by Calthrina950 »

What are de Leon's chances right now?

It's possible that he might get ~35% or so of the vote, given that's he received the endorsement of the State Democratic Party. I also think that he will win at least Imperial County, and maybe one or two others. But he is still going to lose by a wide margin, and will probably do worse than Cox. Without the endorsement, he would be doing even worse.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 11:44:27 PM »

It's possible that he might get ~35% or so of the vote, given that's he received the endorsement of the State Democratic Party. I also think that he will win at least Imperial County, and maybe one or two others. But he still going to lose by a wide margin, and will probably do worse than Cox. Without the endorsement, he would be doing even worse.
Might de Leon win Humboldt and/or Merced? Does Feinstein still win Orange County?

I don't know about the first two, but I suspect Feinstein will carry Orange County, since she is the more "centrist" of the two. Republican voters who cast a ballot for Senate will back her because of that, and because of the fact that she is the long-time incumbent.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 11:49:59 PM »

It's possible that he might get ~35% or so of the vote, given that's he received the endorsement of the State Democratic Party. I also think that he will win at least Imperial County, and maybe one or two others. But he still going to lose by a wide margin, and will probably do worse than Cox. Without the endorsement, he would be doing even worse.
Might de Leon win Humboldt and/or Merced? Does Feinstein still win Orange County?

I don't know about the first two, but I suspect Feinstein will carry Orange County, since she is the more "centrist" of the two. Republican voters who cast a ballot for Senate will back her because of that, and because of the fact that she is the long-time incumbent.
Merced is majority Hispanic. Humboldt is extremely liberal. What are de Leon's chances in those types of counties?

Given what you told me about them, they might be the one or two other counties that he carries. So, I would say his chances are maybe 50-50. Most of the Republican counties in Central and northeastern California will vote for Feinstein, just like they did for Harris.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 11:54:35 PM »

Merced is majority Hispanic. Humboldt is extremely liberal. What are de Leon's chances in those types of counties?

Given what you told me about them, they might be the one or two other counties that he carries. So, I would say his chances are maybe 50-50. Most of the Republican counties in Central and northeastern California will vote for Feinstein, just like they did for Harris.
Might de Leon win Mendocino? Mendocino is similar to Humboldt; heavily white and rural, but very liberal.

Again, possibly, but I'm not an expert on California politics. I'm only making guesses, based on what you're telling me and on what I know about this race. A result similar to that of Harris vs. Sanchez, overall, would not surprise me. That would still be a ~22 pt. victory for Feinstein.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 08:51:58 PM »

[img=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_California,_2018#Endorsements_2]http://Two Republicans endorse Feinstein: Doug Ose and Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger[/img].

Republicans support the Republican candidate. News at 11.

How is Feinstein the Republican candidate? She is still a staunch liberal Democrat in most aspects (particularly on issues such as gun control and judicial nominations), so I'm not sure where the logic for this argument comes from.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 07:01:01 PM »

[img=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_California,_2018#Endorsements_2]http://Two Republicans endorse Feinstein: Doug Ose and Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger[/img].

Republicans support the Republican candidate. News at 11.

How is Feinstein the Republican candidate? She is still a staunch liberal Democrat in most aspects (particularly on issues such as gun control and judicial nominations), so I'm not sure where the logic for this argument comes from.

"Judicial nominations" isn't a policy issue, and gun control isn't really a left-right issue in any ideological sense.

How can you say that "judicial nominations" aren't a policy issue? Partisan battles are waged over a great many such nominations, particularly those over Supreme Court seats. Federal judges and justices can make decisions that have a substantive impact on all areas of public policy, especially on issues such as criminal justice, immigration, voting rights, gerrymandering, freedom of speech, religion, and business regulation. And Feinstein has opposed a considerable number of Trump's nominees. As for gun control, Democrats and Republicans are diametrically opposed on the issue, and Feinstein's views are clearly on the left side of that debate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies