Democratic candidate who would hand Trump the election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:59:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Democratic candidate who would hand Trump the election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Democratic candidate who would hand Trump the election?  (Read 7635 times)
WritOfCertiorari

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2018, 12:07:31 PM »

This might sound defeatist, but if you ask me, there is a small chance that the Democratic primary could end up sinking the 2020 campaign by choosing a bad candidate. Does anyone agree, and if so, who would that candidate be?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 01:20:27 PM »

Jefferson Davis
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 10:39:08 PM »

When it comes to candidates that would hand Trump the election, Cory Booker, Andrew Cuomo, or Terry McAuliffe are the first candidates that come to mind for me. Either them or Biden having a "Me Too" moment or he or Bernie getting the nomination and having a major health scare also have me concerned.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 12:39:15 AM »

Hillary was an establishment candidate in 2016, so any establishment candidate in 2020 could very well lose the election the same way Hillary did. Right off the bat, I can name someone from my very own backyard who would probably fit that description: Andrew Cuomo.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 09:40:59 PM »

Elizabeth Warren.

Not trolling, I actually think this. I love her as my Senator but Trump would do an even better job negatively portraying her than he did with Hillary.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:27:44 AM »

Elizabeth Warren.

Not trolling, I actually think this. I love her as my Senator but Trump would do an even better job negatively portraying her than he did with Hillary.

I disagree.  Senator Warren seems to have fewer scandals.  I don't like her, but that's how I see it.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 05:19:35 AM »

For pretty much everyone except Biden take your pick.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 06:51:47 PM »

Elizabeth Warren.

I disagree.  Senator Warren seems to have fewer scandals.  I don't like her, but that's how I see it.

The heritage stuff seems to be a pretty big scandal. And I agree she would lose to Trump, she would be a perfect foil for him.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 08:46:27 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2018, 09:11:16 PM by BenBurch »

Elizabeth Warren.

I disagree.  Senator Warren seems to have fewer scandals.  I don't like her, but that's how I see it.

The heritage stuff seems to be a pretty big scandal. And I agree she would lose to Trump, she would be a perfect foil for him.

Hillary's scandals make Warren look like Mother Theresa.  Not to mention how condescending Hillary is, and Warren isn't.  I don't think Trump would have won against her.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 09:14:44 PM »

Am I the only one who views Elizabeth Warren as a populist? Am I the only one who thinks she isn't BSing when she talks? I have some reservations about her largely because its harder to imagine exactly how she'd run a national campaign but it's like a good segment of Atlas thinks she's Trump's foil and somehow with a 35-40% approval would blow it to Trump?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 11:24:03 PM »

Am I the only one who views Elizabeth Warren as a populist? Am I the only one who thinks she isn't BSing when she talks? I have some reservations about her largely because its harder to imagine exactly how she'd run a national campaign but it's like a good segment of Atlas thinks she's Trump's foil and somehow with a 35-40% approval would blow it to Trump?

I do believe she's a true believer unlike Hillary, she's not just pandering to some group when she speaks but she actually believes it. But she doesn't really fit the populist mold, she'll just be portrayed as an elitist rich Harvard professor. And the heritage scandal will just put the notion in people's minds that Warren is untrustworthy just like email scandal made people distrust Hillary.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 06:36:02 PM »

Lena Dunham
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 08:00:49 PM »

I do believe she's a true believer unlike Hillary, she's not just pandering to some group when she speaks but she actually believes it. But she doesn't really fit the populist mold, she'll just be portrayed as an elitist rich Harvard professor. And the heritage scandal will just put the notion in people's minds that Warren is untrustworthy just like email scandal made people distrust Hillary.

Clinton (both of them for that matter) was untrustworthy long before the email scandal though. The heritage “scandal” is also less serious and isn’t something that prompts federal investigation, and if she can convince Obama/Trump she’s for real, is moot point. She needs to run a good campaign and needs to ensure she isn’t defined as an elitist, but as long as she avoids that, she can easily win.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 01:32:03 AM »

I think it is insane anybody thinks Warren could beat Trump. She would go down in a LANDSLIDE. She would be lucky to even get 150 electoral votes
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 09:59:48 AM »

I don't think any of the current speculative candidates would outright hand the election to Trump, but somebody like Cuomo would probably be a narrow underdog.
Anti-Bothsidesism
Somenamelessfool
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 02:15:01 PM »

Oprah, Gabbard and Cuomo
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 02:25:59 PM »

Harris or Cuomo, and likely while winning the PV more than Hillary at that.

Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 03:27:54 PM »

Booker over Harris Booker is more divisive. I think Kaine,Booker,Cuomo, Gillibrand and Warren.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 03:57:42 PM »

Booker over Harris Booker is more divisive. I think Kaine,Booker,Cuomo, Gillibrand and Warren.

Maybe him to. Of those you've listed, Warren would have the best chance.  I also think Biden would have way more trouble than most people here think (harassment). 

They really need someone like Lamb or Buttigieg or some public school teacher in Oklahoma or Arizona, but they need to get them elected to something statewide first.
PRESIDENT STANTON
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2018, 05:36:42 PM by PRESIDENT STANTON »

Even if Cuomo, McAuliffe or Cory Booker who are the nominees and they lose and badly as well; they have a post 2020 election playbook and carry on the same way they did post-2016, go for the collusion playbook again! Remember the media is 91% anti Trump as well. So why not? As reprehensible Trump is, the Democrats will likely use the cry baby route; maybe it will work next time as well; I have a funny feeling that the Democrats will blow the 2018 mid terms. They overestimate what is perceived as a massive Anti-Trump feeling; the echo chamber has given them illusions of superiority and the arrogance that goes with it! if only they could shut down Trump's twitter account, then they might have a chance😉 I could be wrong with this theory, but I strongly doubt it.
PRESIDENT STANTON
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 05:51:05 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2018, 05:59:42 PM by PRESIDENT STANTON »

Even if Cuomo, McAuliffe or Cory Booker who are the nominees and they lose and badly as well; they have a post 2020 election playbook and carry on the same way they did post-2016, go for the collusion playbook again! Remember the media is 91% anti Trump as well. So why not? As reprehensible Trump is, the Democrats will likely use the cry baby route; maybe it will work next time as well; I have a funny feeling that the Democrats will blow the 2018 mid terms. They overestimate what is perceived as a massive Anti-Trump feeling; the echo chamber has given them illusions of superiority and the arrogance that goes with it! if only they could shut down Trump's twitter account, then they might have a chance😉 I could be wrong with this theory, but I strongly doubt it
Harris and Gillibrand or even Joseph P. Kennedy III will sit 2020 out, let Booker, Cuomo or McAuliffe take the fall in 2020. Everyone seems to have forgotten how solidly those "deplorables" are sticking with Trump, no matter what has been thrown at him..."Stormy Daniels, Mueller investigation etc.," Trump has the mojo of incumbency working for him. He's currently at 44% I think, which is pretty remarkable considering, all he needs is to pick up 6% or 7% and he's home. When you factor how he is still standing, it shows that the Democrats and there friend's in the anti-Trump media are really amateurs. Has anyone considered why is Trump not in worse shape than he is? He's likely "bribed" his wife to stand by him. I was amazed how the anti-Trump media jumped over Sean Hannity, over Michael Cohen! Trying to muzzle Hannity? That didn't work too well either! It's pretty bad when you have Hanney is still chirping away and driving the anti-Trump crowd nuts. Also Neil Xavuto has pretty been pretty much been reminded which side his bread is buttered on.  I am putting my money on Trump for a 2nd term. Again I never ceased to be amazed at how the psycho drama benefits Trump so much. It's been pretty much said don't get down in the muck with a pig, the pig loves it and invariably wins every time😉.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 04:52:28 PM »

Update: Boring, neoliberal candidates, Biden or Sanders if thwy have a major health issue.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 08:54:10 PM »

If there's a lesson we can learn from Trump and 2016, it's that there is no candidate that will "hand" their opponent the election.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 10:18:20 PM »

Anybody but Booker or Joe Kennedy III who would defeat Trump with Tim Ryan.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 12:34:39 PM »

Why does everyone think Booker is a bad candidate

He has a much better chance of winning than Kamala Harris , Kristen Gilibrand , Elizabeth Warren do
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies