What state(s) will see the largest shifts in the next 4 electoral cycles?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:15:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What state(s) will see the largest shifts in the next 4 electoral cycles?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What state(s) will see the largest shifts in the next 4 electoral cycles?  (Read 3116 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »

From 2000-2016, WV trended almost 38 points Republican. 4 states from 2000-2016 trended 20+ points for a single Party and another 5 saw 15-20 point trends.

Which state(s) from now until 2032 could you see similarly large shifts in?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »

GA and AZ towards Dems

WI towards Republicans
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 01:47:36 PM »

Georgia: The growing non-white population in the Atlanta metro, the potential for the black voter bloc to flex its muscles, and suburban whites possibly shifting Dem on the presidential level (not necessarily locally)

2016: Trump +5, 2020: Trump +2, 2024: Dem +5, 2028: Dem +8 (Stacey Abrams on the ballot Wink ), 2032: Dem +10

Arizona: Hispanic population aging into the electorate, California transplants
2016: Trump +4, 2020: Dem +2, 2024: Dem +7, 2028: Dem +10, 2032: Dem +12

I'm not well versed enough about the population shifts, age and racial demographics in the Mid-west to make completely accurate predictions, but I feel like for the GOP it would be Wisconsin and Ohio, though I may be wrong about them (especially Ohio-- which I don't pay attention to at all lol).
cvparty
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 02:28:43 PM »

Michigan could be a candidate here on the Republican side.

The state population growth is stagnant and it doesn’t have any hubs where liberals are moving to (Ohio has the Columbus metro - we’ll see just how crucial this for the November Gov race, Minnesota has the twin cities, Iowa is elastic like crazy, etc). I also don’t suspect that the national Democrats will make a big push for fair trade policies in the coming decades (though this has yet to be seen).
washtenaw (college land) and grand rapids kind of
cvparty
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 02:44:46 PM »

The state population growth is stagnant and it doesn’t have any hubs where liberals are moving to (Ohio has the Columbus metro - we’ll see just how crucial this for the November Gov race, Minnesota has the twin cities, Iowa is elastic like crazy, etc). I also don’t suspect that the national Democrats will make a big push for fair trade policies in the coming decades (though this has yet to be seen).
washtenaw (college land) and grand rapids kind of

Don’t know much about Grand Rapids but I don’t count college towns since they’re a constant in any given state.
kent county has typically been strongly GOP but it could be changing, obama won it for the first time in 50 years in 2008 by less than 1% and in 2016 hillary came really close to winning it. it's growing pretty fast too

washtenaw attracts like a LOT of college people though cuz of umich and other colleges as well

but yeah compared to the rest of the state it doesn't look great for democrats
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 02:45:35 PM »

Georgia: The growing non-white population in the Atlanta metro, the potential for the black voter bloc to flex its muscles, and suburban whites possibly shifting Dem on the presidential level (not necessarily locally)

2016: Trump +5, 2020: Trump +2, 2024: Dem +5, 2028: Dem +8 (Stacey Abrams on the ballot Wink ), 2032: Dem +10

Arizona: Hispanic population aging into the electorate, California transplants
2016: Trump +4, 2020: Dem +2, 2024: Dem +7, 2028: Dem +10, 2032: Dem +12

I'm not well versed enough about the population shifts, age and racial demographics in the Mid-west to make completely accurate predictions, but I feel like for the GOP it would be Wisconsin and Ohio, though I may be wrong about them (especially Ohio-- which I don't pay attention to at all lol).

Pretty much this. But I think that Ohio and Wisconsin remain within reach for the Democrats. Iowa might be a different story because of the high number of rural voters. I wonder that it actually voted so frequently Democratic in past cycles, even when a Republican was elected.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 02:59:57 PM »

I predict Michigan will swing back to the Dems in 2020 before reversing course dramatically. The memory of Trump will melt away faster than an icicle in hell, and the Democratic president will become the new devil incarnate. And aren't AAs fleeing Detroit for the South? If we get a two-term Democratic president and somehow another Democratic president in 2028, I can see the 2032 GOP nominee winning by a solid 10-15 points. Especially if the incumbent president is someone easy to label as an ultra-radical tax and spend liberal like a Newsom, Harris, Abrams, etc.
Rhenna
Gabor
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 03:37:50 PM »

Colorado, Virginia, Arizona, and Georgia won't be in reach for the GOP by 2032, Texas and North Carolina could too.
Wisconsin, Maine, Michigan, and Ohio will be pretty red by 2032.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 03:55:17 PM »

Possibilities that haven't been discussed yet:

Large GOP shift:

Maine- it just sticks out like a sore thumb demographically, more so than any of the Trump-voting Rust Belt states that get heavily discussed here

Rhode Island- see Maine, also the state legislature is just full of conservadems, almost to the degree WV was 10 years ago

Indiana- demographically favorable, loves trade restrictions, sort of dovish on foreign policy, could plausibly be the most Republican state in the country in 2032

Large Dem shift:

Alaska- Anchorage and Juneau, plus the native areas, plus potential energy industry revolt over GOP protectionism down the line

Oklahoma- much more socially conservative, but has large cities and majority-minority areas that would be voting Dem just about anywhere else, depends heavily on commodities industries that will be ticked off about tariffs, and there's the state/local situation over tax cuts and inadequate education funding.  This is a very underrated long run possibility for Democrats, IMO.  I could see it only voting for the Republican candidate by 8 in 2032.

Kansas- see Oklahoma, the only thing holding Dems back from a breakthrough is the economic boom

Nebraska- basically Kansas, but with a better urban/rural ratio for the GOP, however EV-by-CD will encourage Dem presence and investment in Omaha going forward.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if NE-02 is in line with or left of the nation in 2020.

Basically, I see a lot of potential for the 19th century manufacturing (GOP) vs. raw materials (Dem) economic divide to reemerge now that protectionism is back in vogue.
fridgeking
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 04:15:19 PM »

Arizona is moving towards the dems fast due to growth of the Hispanic population and Maricopa county trending towards the dems. By 2032 it could certainly be pretty safely in the dem column for presidential races.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 05:23:53 PM »

Oklahoma- much more socially conservative, but has large cities and majority-minority areas that would be voting Dem just about anywhere else, depends heavily on commodities industries that will be ticked off about tariffs, and there's the state/local situation over tax cuts and inadequate education funding.  This is a very underrated long run possibility for Democrats, IMO.  I could see it only voting for the Republican candidate by 8 in 2032.

Kansas- see Oklahoma, the only thing holding Dems back from a breakthrough is the economic boom

Nebraska- basically Kansas, but with a better urban/rural ratio for the GOP, however EV-by-CD will encourage Dem presence and investment in Omaha going forward.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if NE-02 is in line with or left of the nation in 2020.

As a general observation, it seems like a lot of Plains states could easily become Colorado-ized with enough young liberals migrating to any given state (since these states are so small to begin with) + Plains Democrats being a fairly progressive base of support already.

Montana could be the next Colorado in this regard. It seems to have everything white hipsters loved about Colorado circa 2000-2008 for the 2020’s/30’s.

I'm less confident in which way Montana goes.  There's the growing hipster/left wing college white influence in the larger cities (e.g. Gallatin being a Romney-Clinton county), but there's also plenty of ancestral organized labor areas (e.g. Silver Bow and Deer Lodge) that have stayed a lot more Dem than they probably should be in this era, and would probably zoom right if the hipster Dem faction became dominant.  It's also ~90% white statewide. 
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 06:07:38 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2018, 06:13:28 PM by MT Treasurer »

I doubt we will see a shift as large as WV 1996-2016 any time soon, but anyway:

DEM - Georgia (should be safe D by 2028), Virginia (is already Safe D, but will go the way of MD), Colorado, Arizona, Alaska, Oklahoma, maybe Texas, Mississippi, and Kansas as well.
GOP - Maine, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, maybe Rhode Island.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 06:21:38 PM »

Alabama: Stays where it is
Alaska: Trends Dem, purple by late 2020's
Arizona: Trends Dem, blue by late 2020's
Arkansas: Stays where it is
California: Stays where it is
Colorado: Trends Dem, and is as blue as Oregon now
Connecticut: Trends Rep, becomes similar to Michigan in 2012
Delaware: Stays where it is
Florida: Stays where it is
Georgia: Trends Dem, blue by late 2020's
Hawaii: Stays where it is
Idaho: Trends Dem
Illinois: Trends Rep, but still a blue state
Indiana: Trends Rep
Iowa: Trends rep, but still winnable for Democrats
Kansas: Trends dem, but still R-leaning
Kentucky: Stays where it is
Louisiana: Stays where it is
Maine: Trends rep, Lean R by 2030's
Maryland: Stays where it is
Massachusetts: Stays where it is
Michigan: Trends Rep, red by 2030's
Minnesota: Trends Rep, purple by late 2020's
Mississippi: Trends Dem, purple by late 2020's
Missouri: Stays where it is
Montana: Trends Dem, purple by late 2020's
Nebraska: Trends Dem
Nevada: Trends Dem, solid blue by 2020's
New Hampshire: Trends Dem
New Jersey: Stays where it is
New Mexico: Trends Dem
New York: Stays where it is
North Carolina: Trends Dem, then stops by 2030's
North Dakota: Stays where it is
Ohio: Trends Rep, solid red by 2030's
Oklahoma: Trends Dem, purple by 2030's
Oregon: Stays where it is
Pennsylvania: Trends Rep, red-leaning by 2030's
Rhode Island: Trends Rep, purple by 2030's
South Carolina: Trends Dem, purple by 2030's
South Dakota: Stays where it is
Tennessee: Stays where it is
Texas: Trends Dem, purple by late 2020's
Utah: Trends Dem, purple by 2030's
Vermont: Stays where it is
Virginia: Trends Dem, becomes similar to New Jersey/Delaware today
Washington: Stays where it is
West Virginia: Stays where it is
Wisconsin: Trends Rep, Red by 2030's
Wyoming: Trends Dem, but still red by 2030's
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 07:07:54 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2018, 07:23:09 PM by Skill and Chance »

As a general observation, it seems like a lot of Plains states could easily become Colorado-ized with enough young liberals migrating to any given state (since these states are so small to begin with) + Plains Democrats being a fairly progressive base of support already.

Montana could be the next Colorado in this regard. It seems to have everything white hipsters loved about Colorado circa 2000-2008 for the 2020’s/30’s.

I'm less confident in which way Montana goes.  There's the growing hipster/left wing college white influence in the larger cities (e.g. Gallatin being a Romney-Clinton county), but there's also plenty of ancestral organized labor areas (e.g. Silver Bow and Deer Lodge) that have stayed a lot more Dem than they probably should be in this era, and would probably zoom right if the hipster Dem faction became dominant.  It's also ~90% white statewide. 

I highly doubt there’s too much more of the organized labor vote that went for Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama for the GOP to milk. Donald Trump has shifted the Party platform someways but he’s overall governed like a generic Republican on the issues. The current round of tariffs isn’t too dissimilar to President Bush imposing steel tariffs for me to think that this’ll have major impacts politically.

Organized labor isn’t a long term constituency for the Republican Party. And the phasing out of nonrenwables by the year 2032 is gonna be have some pretty big shifts in these newly held Republican areas.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount that.  I see a couple of different possibilities here, only one of which has tariffs/trade as a decisive issue:

1. Economy weakens severely or major foreign policy crisis this year, big Dem wave flips 50+ House seats and the Senate in 2018- Bernie wing of the party is ascendant as a bunch of rural Trump districts flip.  2020 resembles 1932 or 1980.  The Midwest comes home and a Connor Lamb type wins by double digits running on single payer and a jobs guarantee/basic income, but running as a moderate on cultural/environmental issues. The Democratic future is populist with a renewed socially conservative wing.  The college grad vote in 2016 was a one-time thing like the Southern vote for Carter in 1976.

2.  Economy stays strong for many years, Republicans hold onto everything into 2022 and maybe beyond.  Rural areas and manufacturing towns are eventually as Republican as cities are Democratic.  Republicans build up a ~60 seat senate majority and Democrats are at a major PV disadvantage at all levels.  It will basically be the 1920's again, but without the presidential PV landslides.  College grads feel more and more out of the American mainstream with each passing year and eventually start voting like a minority group (note that several racial/religious minority groups with above average incomes are ~70% Dem today).  This finally pulls Texas and Georgia (but not the Deep South as a whole), along many of the Plains/Mountain West/Mormon states out from under Republicans, probably all at once in a 2022 or 2026 midterm wave.  Feeling they are at a permanent disadvantage, the next Democratic government makes structural changes to our electoral system that evoke comparisons to Reconstruction.

3.  2018 is an average midterm, Democrats narrowly take the House while Republicans gain a couple of Senate seats on account of the map.  The economy weakens sometime between now and 2020, but it is a normal recession, not a financial crisis.  Trump becomes the Bill Clinton of the right and starts governing more like he campaigned now that congress isn't keeping him in line.  Trump makes several economically populist deals with the Democratic House and between his heft with Republican primary voters and the overrepresentation of rural states, he is able to force them through the Senate.  A Tim Ryan type protectionist Dem is running the House, while the Senate is effectively a coalition government focused on rural issues.  Trump is easily reelected (wins the PV by at least 5), however Dems not only hold the House but pick up seats.  The parties stop representing coherent ideologies.  Democrats hold their 2016 suburban gains, but find that the ceiling with white college grads is pretty low and most of the ground to be gained is by winning "Only Trump" voters downballot.   2024 is probably too close to call. 

Right now, I am favoring #3, but with a substantial chance of #2 happening instead.   
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 07:42:10 PM »

I could see Trump winning a split field election in 2020 while losing the PV by a wider margin but I seriously can’t wrap my head around the idea that Trump wins reelection by 5 points or that a two term Trump WH would lend 2024 to being a very close election. Demographics and economics are just simply too much of a headwind for the GOP to accomplish either of these feats. They haven’t won the Presidential PV in 6 out of the last 7 elections.

Bill Clinton was a good navigator and triangulated well. He was incredibly politically savvy in part because he developed these skills from having been the longest serving governor in the country in 1992. I don’t really think Trump and Clinton are that comparable. In fact Trump strikes me much more as a Pierce-Hoover-Carter type figure. Somebody who’s trying to fight back against political, cultural, and economic headwinds rather than move the nation forward.

I'm tired of hearing the demographics argument.  2016 basically looked like the 1920's at every level below the presidential PV and maybe the Senate.

Demographic changes and gains with college grads don't mean much in our electoral system until and unless you are winning statewide in Texas.  I think that could eventually happen for Dems, but don't be surprised if the interim wait is as long as the 1920's shutout.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 07:57:15 PM »

Possibilities that haven't been discussed yet:

Large GOP shift:

Maine- it just sticks out like a sore thumb demographically, more so than any of the Trump-voting Rust Belt states that get heavily discussed here

Rhode Island- see Maine, also the state legislature is just full of conservadems, almost to the degree WV was 10 years ago

Indiana- demographically favorable, loves trade restrictions, sort of dovish on foreign policy, could plausibly be the most Republican state in the country in 2032

Large Dem shift:

Alaska- Anchorage and Juneau, plus the native areas, plus potential energy industry revolt over GOP protectionism down the line

Basically, I see a lot of potential for the 19th century manufacturing (GOP) vs. raw materials (Dem) economic divide to reemerge now that protectionism is back in vogue.

I never thought about RI's trend. I think this will really be seen more on the state level than anything for the given future. I think it's more likely to transition to a swing state like Delaware was from 68 to 92
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 05:39:39 PM »

Georgia could either become like Virginia or Florida in the years to come. Mississippi should likely trend Democratic in future Elections. Arizona will become like Colorado and Nevada. Texas should be Competitive in 2020 (Within 5%)
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 07:19:53 PM »

Colorado is likely going to swing heavily Democratic, as could Arizona and Georgia.
Kwal
Rookie
Marshall Islands

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -6.70

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 11:49:50 PM »

Either the Deep South or the Mountain West would be my guess. If Democrats could consistently achieve 30% of the white vote in the Deep South it’d be Solid D. The MT West is elastic, susceptible to demographic change, and there is a good chance they rebel at the increasingly populist direction of the GOP.  For Democrats, I would bet on Hawaii or some of the New England states.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 04:14:00 AM »

This is an easy one:

Colorado: Shift from Lean D to Safe D
Wisconsin: Shift from Likely D to Tilt R
Georgia: Shift from Likely R to Tilt D
Mississippi: Shift from Safe R to Tilt R
Maine: Shift from Likely D to Tossup