Vice, Virtue, and Independence (A Different Path, Chapter 2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:23:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Vice, Virtue, and Independence (A Different Path, Chapter 2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: Vice, Virtue, and Independence (A Different Path, Chapter 2)  (Read 38059 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: June 07, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »

You sly fox, you said you weren't using Chappaquiddick!!!

I guess Ted Kennedy won't be the nominee in 1972, but RFK is still possible...

Will Martin Luther King run a pro-civil rights campaign?

Read closer ....

Ted Kennedy Has Accident in Chappaquiddick; None Injured

That doesn't mean someone Mary Jo wasn't in the car with him, just that she wasn't injured/killed.

Yeah but it was the whole woman dying and not reporting the accident thing that derailed his presidency chances, not because he was in the car with Mary Jo.

Doesn't mean the affair didn't happen...

True but an affair isn’t enough to derail someone’s chances of the Presidency.

Nor should it be IMO, if you have an affair the only person who should care is your wife.

(unless it’s a John Edwards situation, having an affair with your wife on her death bed is a bad look 9 times out of 10)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #176 on: June 07, 2018, 01:42:01 PM »

You sly fox, you said you weren't using Chappaquiddick!!!

I guess Ted Kennedy won't be the nominee in 1972, but RFK is still possible...

Will Martin Luther King run a pro-civil rights campaign?

Read closer ....

Ted Kennedy Has Accident in Chappaquiddick; None Injured

That doesn't mean someone Mary Jo wasn't in the car with him, just that she wasn't injured/killed.

Yeah but it was the whole woman dying and not reporting the accident thing that derailed his presidency chances, not because he was in the car with Mary Jo.

Doesn't mean the affair didn't happen...

True but an affair isn’t enough to derail someone’s chances of the Presidency.

Nor should it be IMO, if you have an affair the only person who should care is your wife.

(unless it’s a John Edwards situation, having an affair with your wife on her death bed is a bad look 9 times out of 10)

Tell that to Gary Hart.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2018, 10:28:00 PM »

bump
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2018, 03:54:10 AM »

Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #179 on: June 12, 2018, 11:43:34 AM »

September 1 - December 31, 1969
Decline

Six months was up, and Goldwater was asking America to send more of their sons to a faraway jungle, not fewer.

While still extremely popular at the beginning of September, the Vietnam War was starting to lose the immense popularity it once enjoyed. The breaking of the “Six Month Promise,” as it was nicknamed, hurt Goldwater’s approvals more than the war’s. The causes that hurt them both were threefold. First, generally, people do not enjoy sending their sons off to a far-off war with no end in sight, especially after a number of those boys come back in body bags. This, however, did not have a large effect on public opinion of the war at the time as it was seen as a necessary evil in order to defeat Communism and stop its spread.

The second factor, which did quickly change a lot of minds, was that the horrors of the war were broadcast directly into the homes of tens of millions of Americans each night. The war was terrible to watch, as Defense Secretary LeMay was quick to unleash chemical weapons - the “Rainbow Herbicides” - on North Vietnam. Americans tuned into Walter Cronkite’s absurdly popular CBS Evening News and saw horrific images, not only American bodies strewn across jungle openings, but Vietnamese children afflicted by the chemical compounds released on LeMay’s orders. Goldwater was uneasy about using these weapons, but was convinced that it was imperative to the defeat of the Communists. A divisive topic in his Cabinet at the time was whether or not to use low-yield “tactical” nuclear weapons on North Vietnam; LeMay was heavily in support of doing so, while Secretary of State Kissinger was not in favor of using them so as to not anger or scare the Chinese or the Soviets. Kissinger won out. The President did not authorize LeMay to use nuclear weapons. However, when Kissinger wanted to expand the war, covertly, into Cambodia, Goldwater denied him that authorization.

The third factor was the government’s reaction to a single event: The “Forrestal Incident,” as it became known.

President Goldwater in the White House being briefed on the Forrestal incident, October 17, 1969

Early in the morning of October 17, the U.S.S. Forrestal, with a full complement onboard, was attacked by the North Vietnamese navy and sank. Over three thousand died, and the rest, nearly 1,500, were taken as prisoners of war. Two such prisoners were John S. McCain III, a descendant of two Navy Admirals, and Donald J. Trump, the son of a New York real estate developer. The American people were horrified that this had been allowed to occur, as the Forrestal had recently been ordered to move further North. An expose in the New York Times in early November showed that Defense Secretary LeMay had given this order, but had not ensured adequate protection for the ship and the people onboard, even though he was aware of the danger. Public opinion had never been much in LeMay’s favor, but after the Forrestal incident, the public fully turned against him. He was called the testify before Congress, which concluded that his judgement had been “extremely, disastrously poor, but not criminally so.” Amid calls to for LeMay to resign, President Goldwater voiced his support for LeMay despite calling the Forrestal incident a “grave error” on his Defense Secretary’s part. This did not sway public opinion towards LeMay, but rather against Goldwater.

While all three of these factors hurt Goldwater and the war’s support, the American public still broadly viewed American involvement as important. Images of the rolling heads of the embassy hostages were still seared into the minds of the citizenry, even if the jingoistic zeal with which they had once clamored for war was gone, and their support more muted.

A shocking development on domestic policy in the later portion of the year was Goldwater’s announcement that the US government would be selling both the Tennessee Valley Authority and the Bonneville Power Administration to private companies for a combined total of almost $4.2 billion. In a speech on the topic in Tennessee, President Goldwater called it “wasteful” for the government to operate the two power facilities, and stated that “American enterprise can run these dams more efficiently.” In Tennessee, the privatization of the TVA was very polarizing, with some vehemently against the move and some very much in favor of it. In the Pacific Northwest, however, the sale of the BPA was extremely unpopular, and a New York Times columnist wrote that Goldwater could “kiss Washington and Oregon goodbye” in 1972, even if he won reelection with every other state.

Additionally, Goldwater proposed that Congress pass a bill re-imagining the Social Security program, making the entitlement opt-in rather than mandatory. “Those who can provide a better retirement for themselves should be allowed to without government interference,” Goldwater argued, “and I hope Congress puts a bill on my desk to ensure just that.” The bill was met by near-total opposition from congressional Democrats, and a deal could not be made before the beginning of the Christmas recess.

September 1 - December 31, 1969
Other Headlines

Gaddafi Comes to Power in Libya
Ho Chi Minh Dead!
Sen. Minority Leader Everett Dirksen Dead
Ralph T. Smith to be Dirksen’s Replacement
CDU/CSU Coalition Wins in Germany
Goldwater Silent on Ongoing Protests, Race Riots
Country Joe, Led Zeppelin Speak Against Vietnam War
Second Manned Moon Mission a Success
Cahill, Holton, Jr. Win NJ, VA Governorships

January 1, 1970
Gallup Poll

President Goldwater Approval Rating
Approve: 53%
Disapprove: 43%
Not sure: 4%
Didn’t answer: 0%

Do you support American involvement in the Vietnam War?
Yes: 70%
No: 27%
Not sure: 3%
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #180 on: June 12, 2018, 01:05:38 PM »

Trump gets taken prisoner WITH McCain?! I love it.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #181 on: June 12, 2018, 08:37:07 PM »

Ooh...are you going to kill McCain and Trump off?
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #182 on: June 13, 2018, 08:36:12 PM »

Calling it now, McCain doesn't survive, but Trump does, greatly changed and humbled, though ultimately for the better, and leads America to newfound prosperity after winning the 2008 election in a landslide.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2018, 12:12:13 AM »

Trump gets taken prisoner WITH McCain?! I love it.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #184 on: June 16, 2018, 02:42:54 PM »

Or perhaps Trump dies and McCain becomes the John Kerry figure...hmmm

Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: June 17, 2018, 12:28:52 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2018, 02:31:30 PM by Limousine Communist »

January 1 - April 30, 1970
A New Decade Begins

As the first year of Goldwater’s administration ended and the second began, the President’s extended honeymoon period seemed to be coming to a close.

The war in Vietnam was, mostly, a stalemate near what was formerly a demilitarized zone. Guerilla forces of the Viet Cong dug in and picked off American troops slowly. Meanwhile, prisoners of war were taken to the Hỏa Lò Prison, which would later become known as the “Hanoi Hilton,” and tortured for information. President Goldwater sent in special forces to attempt to break some of the prisoners out of the prison, but both attempts failed, and, furthermore, the second attempt’s failure led to the special forces becoming POWs themselves. Goldwater refused to seek a diplomatic solution to either the POW situation or the war as a whole, to the chagrin of Secretary of State Kissinger.

President Goldwater made two major, somewhat related announcements on domestic policy in March. The first was the more popular decision: Kennedy’s deal to allow the USSR to buy American grain was off, effective April 1. Conservatives loved this decision, as it dealt the USSR a blow. However, rural Republicans were not happy with his second announcement: Goldwater would push for a bill that would phase out federal farming subsidies over the course of five years. Republicans and Democrats from agriculture-heavy states came out against this bill. Goldwater dispatched Assistant Secretary of Agriculture Earl Butz to Capitol Hill to lobby for the bill. While Senators from the Plains States were vehemently against the bill, many other Senators - of both parties - supported the bill. It passed comfortably in the House and Senate, despite uniform opposition from states in the Plains. Following this, Agriculture Secretary Carl Curtis resigned, and Earl Butz was confirmed in his place.

The Voluntary Social Security Act was deeply unpopular among most Americans, leading to its demise in committee.

In early April of 1970, Associate Justice William O. Douglas surprisingly announced that he would be resigning from the Court at the end of the session, citing the “unbearable financial burden” from his multiple divorces. Some speculated that it was really the congressional investigation that House Minority Leader Gerald Ford had recently launched that had pushed him out; after an impeachment attempt in 1953, Douglas may not have wanted to repeat the process again. President Goldwater announced his nominee to replace him: Deputy Attorney General Robert Bork. Having already been through contentious hearings for the position of Deputy Attorney General, many expected Bork to have to go through equally difficult hearings for the Supreme Court nomination. However, Bork had kept a low profile in his current position at the DOJ. Still, many had fears about his views on civil rights, including Senator Ted Kennedy, who gave a fiery speech in opposition to Bork’s confirmation. Nevertheless, Bork was confirmed 61-39, making him the youngest Justice on the Marshall Court. White House Counsel William Rehnquist was appointed and confirmed to serve as the Deputy Attorney General after Bork's confirmation to the Court.

Marshall Court (1970)

Chief Justice
Thurgood Marshall (b. 1908, liberal, appointed by Kennedy in 1965)

Associate Justices
Hugo Black (b. 1886, liberal, appointed by F. D. Roosevelt in 1937)
Byron White (b. 1917, moderate, appointed by Kennedy in 1962)
Arthur Goldberg (b. 1908, liberal, appointed by Kennedy in 1962)
Robert Bork (b. 1927, conservative, appointed by Goldwater in 1970)
G. Harrold Carswell (b. 1919, conservative, appointed by Goldwater in 1969)
Potter Stewart (b. 1915, moderate, appointed by Eisenhower in 1958)
Tom C. Clark (b. 1899, moderate, appointed by Truman in 1949)
William J. Brennan, Jr. (b. 1906, liberal, appointed by Eisenhower in 1956)

January 1 - April 30, 1970
Other Headlines

Earthquake Kills Thousands in China
“I Want You Back” Another Hit for Jackson 5
Japan Launches 1st Satellite
George W. Mitchell to be Next Fed Chair
Goldwater Reluctantly Signs Anti-Smoking Act
NPT Goes Into Effect; White House “Respects Treaty”
Census Determines US Population To Be 203,479,422
Opinion: Gold Standard to Blame for Middling Economy

May 1, 1970
Gallup Poll

Approve: 50%
Disapprove: 45%
Not sure: 5%

Yes: 62%
No: 34%

Who do you support in the 1970 midterms?
Republicans: 42%
Democrats: 42%
Other: 3%
Not sure: 12%
Didn’t answer: 1%
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #186 on: June 17, 2018, 07:16:06 PM »

This is terrificly written!

Looking foward to mid-terms
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #187 on: June 17, 2018, 08:44:49 PM »

Or perhaps Trump dies and McCain becomes the John Kerry figure...hmmm

Or maybe both die...
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2018, 08:20:24 AM »

May 4, 1970
Robert

“Hello, New Yorkers! I know I might not be your favorite Kennedy brother, but give me a chance…”

Bobby was giving a speech he’d prepared for since he left the DOJ last year. He’d always had big ambitions, and he was taking the next step to see those ambitions come to fruition.

“...so today, I’m announcing that I will be a candidate for the Democratic nomination for Governor of New York! We must build a fairer New York, a New York that takes care of its poor and gives everyone a chance to succeed…”

It was a little early to make such an announcement, seeing as the primary wasn’t until later in the year, but he wanted all the publicity he could garner. Taking on Governor Rockefeller, who had announced his reelection campaign several days ago, would be tough. He was popular, for a New York Republican, and he was liberal enough to satisfy many in the state. Plus, Bobby had only moved to New York in 1967, drawing allegations of carpetbagging. And, of course, the was the question of whether RFK would ditch New York to seek the Presidency in 1972.

“...it is no secret that I am an ambitious man. Many will ask, ‘how do I know you won’t try to trade in the Governor’s mansion for the White House in 1972?’ New York, I stand before you today a candidate for the Governor’s mansion, and if I am lucky enough to be elected, I promise I will not seek the Presidency in 1972.”

The announcement would shake the political world in a number of ways. Which is exactly what Bobby wanted.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2018, 03:14:55 PM »

May 4, 1970
Robert

“Hello, New Yorkers! I know I might not be your favorite Kennedy brother, but give me a chance…”

Bobby was giving a speech he’d prepared for since he left the DOJ last year. He’d always had big ambitions, and he was taking the next step to see those ambitions come to fruition.

“...so today, I’m announcing that I will be a candidate for the Democratic nomination for Governor of New York! We must build a fairer New York, a New York that takes care of its poor and gives everyone a chance to succeed…”

It was a little early to make such an announcement, seeing as the primary wasn’t until later in the year, but he wanted all the publicity he could garner. Taking on Governor Rockefeller, who had announced his reelection campaign several days ago, would be tough. He was popular, for a New York Republican, and he was liberal enough to satisfy many in the state. Plus, Bobby had only moved to New York in 1967, drawing allegations of carpetbagging. And, of course, the was the question of whether RFK would ditch New York to seek the Presidency in 1972.

“...it is no secret that I am an ambitious man. Many will ask, ‘how do I know you won’t try to trade in the Governor’s mansion for the White House in 1972?’ New York, I stand before you today a candidate for the Governor’s mansion, and if I am lucky enough to be elected, I promise I will not seek the Presidency in 1972.”

The announcement would shake the political world in a number of ways. Which is exactly what Bobby wanted.

This means, either:

A: Ted Kennedy is running in 1972.
B. RFK will lose in 1972 and will run for President in 1976.
C. Top Democrats think Goldwater is unbeatable, and won't run (much like H.W Bush in 1992), leading to a dark horse like McGovern winning the nomination).
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2018, 04:39:16 PM »

May 4, 1970
Robert

This means, either:

C. Top Democrats think Goldwater is unbeatable, and won't run (much like H.W Bush in 1992), leading to a dark horse like McGovern winning the nomination).

He’s running in ‘70 for Governor, what would he be losing in ‘72?

Just because this timeline was centered around JFK, doesn’t mean further Kennedy victories are a sure thing (even though I hope for them and they would be good for the country)

However at this point I’d say they’d be the overwhelming favorites to run against Goldwater.

I for sure don’t think option C makes much sense because Goldwater seems very beatable. A war effort going off the rails, someone who was viewed with suspicion from the start.

If I was a betting man I’d say Bobby loses a close one to Rockefeller but it ends up being a blessing in disguise in the long run. We shall see. Love this timeline
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #191 on: June 25, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2018, 03:39:52 PM by Never Forget the 4,645+ »

This will be the last post on this timeline for a while. I'm going to Puerto Rico for disaster relief until the second week of July.

May 1 - August 31, 1970
Further Decline...

What had started out as a somewhat promising year for Goldwater started to look much worse as 1970 went on.

In Vietnam, the Viet Cong launched a new offensive against South Vietnam, slowly pushing US troops from around the stalemate line down to the town of Huế. The Viet Cong also covertly travelled through neighboring Laos and Cambodia, sneaking up on pro-Western forces from behind and causing considerable casualties and a loss of a significant amount of strategically important territory. Secretary LeMay wanted to launch desperate measures, and for once Secretary Kissinger agreed with him; they proposed expanding the war into Cambodia and Laos. President Goldwater ordered them not to, and wanted military resources focused on North Vietnam and the recovery of the prisoners of war.

The war was steadily losing popularity, and while still supported by a majority of Americans, the anti-war crowd was becoming more and more vocal about their distaste. College campuses were in a constant state of unrest, leading to a string of bloody encounters with the police. Musicians and other figures in popular culture started to vocally criticize the war and the President who started it. And it only got worse as the Viet Cong’s surprise attacks caused the US to lose ground quickly. The far right called for Hanoi to be nuked, while the far left called for America to pull out of the war entirely. Anti-war protesters gathered in southern New York for the Woodstock Peace Festival, where musicians played anti-war songs to thousands for an entire week. Goldwater’s approval numbers sank underwater for the first time as the public blamed the authorities for the sudden spike in violence on college campuses. The war’s approvals continued to fall to near 50%. Democrats went from being tied with Republicans to being the clear favorite for midterm victories.

Even worse for Goldwater, the relatively good economy of the 1960’s was slowing down. Some speculated that the gold standard was constraining the economy, while others blamed rising oil prices or poor environmental conditions in cities hampering productivity and driving up healthcare costs. Regardless of any of this, Goldwater maintained that the market knew best and did not abandon the gold standard.

May 1 - August 31, 1970
Other Headlines

18 Students Murdered by Police at Kent State Anti-War Protest
Henry Marrow Murdered, Sparking Outrage
“They Can’t Kill Us All;” Students Strike Across Country
8 Killed at Jackson State University
Pol Pot Assassinated
Wilson, Labour Maintain Parliamentary Majority in UK
35,000 Protest for Women’s Equality in NYC
Police Kill 15 In Chicano Moratorium Protest in LA

September 1, 1970
Gallup Poll

Disapprove: 50%
Approve: 47%

Yes: 51%
No: 40%
Not sure: 9%

Democrats: 46%
Republicans: 41%
Not sure: 10%
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #192 on: June 26, 2018, 04:10:53 PM »

May 4, 1970
Robert

This means, either:

He’s running in ‘70 for Governor, what would he be losing in ‘72?

Just because this timeline was centered around JFK, doesn’t mean further Kennedy victories are a sure thing (even though I hope for them and they would be good for the country)

However at this point I’d say they’d be the overwhelming favorites to run against Goldwater.

I for sure don’t think option C makes much sense because Goldwater seems very beatable. A war effort going off the rails, someone who was viewed with suspicion from the start.

If I was a betting man I’d say Bobby loses a close one to Rockefeller but it ends up being a blessing in disguise in the long run. We shall see. Love this timeline

Notice I didn't say McGovern would lose in 1972.

This will be the last post on this timeline for a while. I'm going to Puerto Rico for disaster relief until the second week of July.

May 1 - August 31, 1970
Further Decline...

What had started out as a somewhat promising year for Goldwater started to look much worse as 1970 went on.

In Vietnam, the Viet Cong launched a new offensive against South Vietnam, slowly pushing US troops from around the stalemate line down to the town of Huế. The Viet Cong also covertly travelled through neighboring Laos and Cambodia, sneaking up on pro-Western forces from behind and causing considerable casualties and a loss of a significant amount of strategically important territory. Secretary LeMay wanted to launch desperate measures, and for once Secretary Kissinger agreed with him; they proposed expanding the war into Cambodia and Laos. President Goldwater ordered them not to, and wanted military resources focused on North Vietnam and the recovery of the prisoners of war.

The war was steadily losing popularity, and while still supported by a majority of Americans, the anti-war crowd was becoming more and more vocal about their distaste. College campuses were in a constant state of unrest, leading to a string of bloody encounters with the police. Musicians and other figures in popular culture started to vocally criticize the war and the President who started it. And it only got worse as the Viet Cong’s surprise attacks caused the US to lose ground quickly. The far right called for Hanoi to be nuked, while the far left called for America to pull out of the war entirely. Anti-war protesters gathered in southern New York for the Woodstock Peace Festival, where musicians played anti-war songs to thousands for an entire week. Goldwater’s approval numbers sank underwater for the first time as the public blamed the authorities for the sudden spike in violence on college campuses. The war’s approvals continued to fall to near 50%. Democrats went from being tied with Republicans to being the clear favorite for midterm victories.

Even worse for Goldwater, the relatively good economy of the 1960’s was slowing down. Some speculated that the gold standard was constraining the economy, while others blamed rising oil prices or poor environmental conditions in cities hampering productivity and driving up healthcare costs. Regardless of any of this, Goldwater maintained that the market knew best and did not abandon the gold standard.

May 1 - August 31, 1970
Other Headlines

18 Students Murdered by Police at Kent State Anti-War Protest
Henry Marrow Murdered, Sparking Outrage
“They Can’t Kill Us All;” Students Strike Across Country
8 Killed at Jackson State University
Pol Pot Assassinated
Wilson, Labour Maintain Parliamentary Majority in UK
35,000 Protest for Women’s Equality in NYC
Police Kill 15 In Chicano Moratorium Protest in LA

September 1, 1970
Gallup Poll

Disapprove: 50%
Approve: 47%

Yes: 51%
No: 40%
Not sure: 9%

Democrats: 46%
Not sure: 10%

I think it's safe to say Goldwater is in a jam...maybe he does order the nuking of Hanoi...
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2018, 05:32:53 PM »

Notice I didn't say McGovern would lose in 1972.

True. That’d be disappointing however.

Go from greatness to Goldwater to McGovern. McGovern is bad, Goldwater is worse.

Give me RFK or Muskie... hell give me Rockefeller or Reagan at this point.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2018, 10:10:08 PM »

I'm back from PR. Very tired ATM, will release an update in the next couple days though.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #195 on: July 07, 2018, 04:21:30 AM »

I'm back from PR. Very tired ATM, will release an update in the next couple days though.

You did a great, self-less thing by going there, props to you for that

Look forward to an update!
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: July 10, 2018, 09:49:04 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2018, 06:38:15 PM by Cold War Liberal »

September 1 - November 2, 1970
...and Collapse

As more and more time went on, the Vietnam War continued to get worse for the US-South Vietnam coalition. The coalition continued to slowly but steadily lose ground, and the Viet Cong took advantage of Goldwater’s refusal to expand the war into Cambodia and Laos by using secret routes through those countries for travel and supplies. Starting in October, the Viet Cong executed a small number of the Forrestal prisoners of war on live TV, though they continued to use high-profile prisoners such as John McCain III for propaganda, and the sons of rich Americans, like Donald J. Trump, to successfully extort funds from their parents so as to keep the Viet Cong well fed and supplied. By the time the 1970 midterms had rolled around, nearly 600 of the 1,500 POWs had been executed before the eyes of everyone on the planet.

Growing anti-war sentiment led to round-the-clock protests outside Goldwater’s White House

These televised murders had a profoundly negative effect on the public perception of the war and the Administration conducting it. Thousands came out to protest the war, including many who constantly demonstrated outside the White House. While President Goldwater viewed the protests as annoying, he stated that he sympathized with those who were unhappy. However, he still refused to seek out diplomatic solutions to the conflict out of a principle of not negotiating with communists.

A hundred thousand Americans descended upon New York City to protest the war on October 18, 1970

On October 5, 1970, Associate Justice Hugo Black died suddenly of a stroke. After considering a number of judges, President Goldwater instead nominated Solicitor General Phyllis Schlafly to Black’s seat. Opinions on the first woman ever nominated to the Court were not exceedingly positive; progressives opposed her for her socially conservative views, while conservatives who supported her views admitted there were others who were far more experienced than Schlafly to serve as an Associate Justice. Confirmation hearings were held throughout October, and Schlafly was grilled by Senators McGovern, Kennedy, Muskie, Humphrey, and Scoop Jackson. Schlafly generally held up well, but slipped up several times on more esoteric questions. Her positions on civil and women's rights angered progressives and even made a number of Republicans uneasy. A vote was not held before the midterms, allowing Democrats to exploit Schlafly’s relative unpopularity for political gain in those elections.

President Goldwater and other Republicans were dreading the midterms. The race was initially a tossup, but over the course of the year the Republicans had gone from tied with Democrats to trailing them by a wide margin. The Vietnam War had gone from being the only thing keeping Goldwater afloat to being a millstone around his neck. All eyes were on New York’s gubernatorial election; former Attorney General Robert Kennedy was statistically tied with 1964 Republican Presidential nominee and incumbent Governor Nelson Rockefeller. The loser’s career would likely be over, while if Kennedy won, the doors to the White House in 1976 or 1980 seemed to be wide open. The Texas Senate race also captured the nation’s attention; incumbent Senator Ralph Yarborough had lost an extremely bitter primary to Lloyd Bentsen by less than 1 percentage point, and many of the Senator’s supporters were boycotting the election or supporting the Republican candidate, George H. W. Bush. Additionally, Governor Connally was retiring and former JFK Assistant Attorney General Barefoot Sanders was running to replace him, though the race was close due to Sanders' progressive views on civil rights. In Virginia, Harry F. Byrd had been ousted by George Rawlings and began a campaign as an independent; the Virginia GOP had, shockingly, not nominated a candidate, and was campaigning against Byrd (though they didn't endorse Rawlings). In California, Governor Finch was facing off against Jesse Unruh, while George Murphy was fighting George Brown. In Maryland, Congressman Charles Matthias led Governor Mahoney by 5 points in the polls. And, interestingly, progressive Atlanta mayor Ivan Allen, Jr. was favored to win the Georgia’s governor’s race against Hal Suit despite a third party challenge from Lester Maddox. All in all, it was quickly shaping up to be a wave for Democrats, despite earlier, initial expectations.

Other headlines
September 1 - November 2, 1970

Economy Continues to Slump
Anti-War Rallies, Protests Continue Across US
Jobs, GDP Growth Numbers Disappoint
Elvis is Back; Is He Here to Stay?
Nasser Dead, Sadat New Egyptian Pres.
Pol Pot Assassin Was CIA Agent, Report Says
Goldwater Tours Europe
Sadat Elected!
Trudeau Invokes War Powers during October Crisis
Monsoon Hits Vietnam, Temporarily Halts War

Gallup Poll
November 3, 1970

Disapprove: 55%
Approve: 42%

No: 47%
Yes: 46%
Not sure: 7%

Democrats: 52%
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #197 on: July 10, 2018, 10:03:35 AM »

Another great update and I'm looking forward to the midterms. I do have a few questions.

1: What party controls Congress?

2: What's JFK been up to in his post-presidency?

3: How did Goldwater react to the Kent State shooting?
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: July 10, 2018, 10:53:56 AM »

Another great update and I'm looking forward to the midterms. I do have a few questions.

1: What party controls Congress?

2: What's JFK been up to in his post-presidency?

3: How did Goldwater react to the Kent State shooting?
1. Democrats, very narrowly, though Goldwater could, when popular, scrape together enough votes to get some things done.

2. He's been very involved with restructuring Democratic primaries. I'll get into specifics of the restructuring later in 1971, but JFK has been very involved in consulting the McGovern-Fraser Commission.

3. The Kent State shooting was worse in this timeline, for starters. Goldwater, famous for his somewhat politically unfortunate habit of saying what was on his mind, expressed irritation with protesters in general (which was seen as insensitive), but consoled the families of the 18 murdered Kent State students and decried the members of the National Guard who shot them.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2018, 10:18:44 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2019, 07:11:24 PM by Cold War Liberal »

1970 United States Elections
Final Results

House of Representatives

Democrats: 296 ( 33)
Republicans: 139 ( 33)

House Speaker: Carl Albert
Majority Leader: Tip O'Neill
Majority Whip: Phillip Burton

Minority Leader: Gerald Ford
Minority Whip: Leslie Arends

Senate

Democrats: 56-57 ( 4-5)
Republicans: 43-44 ( 4-5)

President of the Senate: Ronald Reagan
President pro tempore: Richard Russell, Jr.

Majority Leader: Mike Mansfield
Majority Whip: Hubert Humphrey

Minority Leader: Hugh Scott
Minority Whip: Paul Laxalt

Individual Race Results
(asterisk = incumbent)

Alaska (special)
Ted Stevens*: 55.84%
Wendell P. Kay: 44.16%

Arizona
Jack Williams*: 51.75%
Sam Grossman: 48.25%