Vice, Virtue, and Independence (A Different Path, Chapter 2) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:31:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Vice, Virtue, and Independence (A Different Path, Chapter 2) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Vice, Virtue, and Independence (A Different Path, Chapter 2)  (Read 38008 times)
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« on: April 13, 2018, 02:13:06 PM »

A Different Path, Chapter 2:
VICE,
VIRTUE,
AND
INDEPENDENCE

The 1968 Election and the 36th President of the United States

And, to catch you up:
A Different Path, Chapter 1: The New Frontier

Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 02:33:43 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2018, 07:13:46 PM by Baker/Embry 2018 »

September 14, 1967
Morris

Vice President Morris Udall sipped the last of his coffee as he prepared to make what he felt would be one of the more important speeches of his life. He’d wanted this for a long time, and Johnson’s scandal in ‘64 had propelled him to this point much faster than he’d anticipated.

“Hello, ladies and gentlemen, Hello! I’m sure you’re wondering why I’m here today…”

The audience laughed. They knew full well what Udall was announcing.

“Well, I’m announcing, quite simply, that I’m running for the Democratic nomination for the Presidency of the United States. We need to continue the great progress that President Kennedy has made over the past eight years - and that I have helped make in the past four. We got civil rights for all Americans, healthcare for the old and the poor, and even put a man on the moon. I believe that I, having served with Jack for the past 4 years, am uniquely prepared to lead our country on into the 1970’s with the same vigor which President Kennedy lead us through the 1960’s…”

October 2, 1967
Richard

Richard closed his eyes and reveled in the words he had said just a few minutes ago.

“...Nelson Rockefeller and Maggie Smith lead us to defeat in ‘64, even though I tried to save the party. This time, we’re going to bring the GOP back to the ideals of Ike Eisenhower, not the liberalism of Rockefeller or the crazed conservatism of Barry Goldwater. We’re going to win next November and push for sensibility in our government again…”

Of course, Dick didn’t think Jack was “insensible,” or whatever, but it played well with the crowd. He knew this wouldn’t be the coronation of the 1960 primaries - hell, he wasn’t even the Republican frontrunner - but he was confident that he could pull this off, and that all Americans would be saying “President Nixon” come January 20th, 1969.

October 13, 1967
George

“...and as your President, we’ll go further than Kennedy and Udall ever dreamed we could. We’ll guarantee free healthcare for all Americans. We’ll guarantee everyone’s right to the franchise. And we’ll guarantee every American child the right to an education! What we need going into the 1970’s is radical change beyond even what the current Administration could achieve…”

October 15, 1967
Barry

“...so today, I am announcing that we, the true conservative mainstream of the Republican Party, are taking back the GOP, and then we will take back our country. We need to spend less money on things that are not the government’s business to pay for, scale back federal encroachment on states’ rights, and fight against Communism, not appease them like the British did the Germans!”

October 27, 1967
George

“Our party has been taken over by a President who hates the working men of the real America. We need to take our country back to prosperity and traditional values, and soon, before the Communists in Russia look over at us and see that we’re almost as bad as they are! Vote for me and stand up for America!”

November 1, 1967
George

“...and the GOP is the party of Lincoln, of Eisenhower, and of Nelson Rockefeller. We need to remain committed to the cause of civil rights and not make the hard turn to the right that some in the party today wish to take. Vote for me if you want the 1968 election to be another 1952; vote for someone else if you wish for 1968 to be another 1932!”

November 3, 1967
Margaret

Senator Smith waved to her small band of enthusiastic supporters. Margaret, the 1964 Republican Vice Presidential nominee, had decided to run again in 1968. She’d hoped to have the support of the man she ran with - Nelson Rockefeller - but that didn’t appear to be in the cards. Rockefeller hadn’t endorsed anyone yet, but Romney seemed to be the more electable of the two major liberal Republicans running in this race. Margaret wouldn’t be surprised if Rocky endorsed that babbling gaffe-machine instead of the woman who basically saved his 1964 campaign at the convention.

Like in 1964, Margaret was highly doubtful that America was ready to elect a female President. Nevertheless, she would run her best campaign, and see what happened.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 01:10:02 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2018, 01:54:23 PM by Baker/Embry 2018 »

December 7, 1967
BREAKING: LBJ JUMPS INTO 1968 DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY, ADDING A MORE MODERATE SOUTHERN OPTION

DALLAS, TX - Texas Governor Lyndon B. Johnson, after years of speculation, has officially announced that he will seek the Democratic nomination for President. The former Vice President, once disgraced and dropped off the 1964 ticket, has become something of a political phoenix, rising from the ashes of his tax evasion trial to beat an incumbent Democratic governor in 1966 by a razor-thin margin.

Now, Governor Johnson is trying for the office he has wanted since he was a boy: the Presidency. In a speech given outside the Johnson family ranch, the Governor stated that he was “horrified” by the “bland, inexperienced Vice President; the radically liberal Senator McGovern, and the downright racist Governor Wallace.” He then pitched himself as the pragmatic alternative to the three: pro-civil-rights, unlike Governor Wallace; more connected and experienced than Vice President Udall; and more conservative than Senator McGovern (while still being fairly progressive). He also touted his own “Texas grit” as a merit only he possessed, and in that he may be right.

Governor Johnson is a polarizing figure in American politics; the trial that, in the governor’s words, “vindicated” him is seen by much of the public as having come to the wrong conclusion. Nonetheless, he is still a fairly popular figure among Democrats (70% of party members approved of him in a recent Gallup poll, while only 40% of all voters did), and will certainly be a formidable foe for the other Democratic candidates in the race, especially as Mr. Johnson is a masterful delegate-wrangler.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 11:11:18 PM »

What's RFK up to at this point in your timeline? He served as Attorney General for both of JFK's terms right? Senate a few years removed from IRL then, instead of the presidency?
He is the current Attorney General of the United States as of December 1967 and will remain in that position until January 20th of 1969.

From the previous chapter's thread:
RFK will not be a candidate for anything in '68 (not really a spoiler because he'd have to resign from the DOJ in order to legally do so, which I would have covered in this chapter), and neither will Teddy. It should go without saying that due to this being the case, RFK is not assassinated and Teddy doesn't "accidentally" drive off that bridge in Chappaquiddick.

RFK will definitely be in chapters 2 and 3, and beyond (you will know what this means circa 1976 Wink ). Teddy is sure to be influential until his death, which will most likely be in 2009 like IRL (maybe a different day but probably around the same time)

I haven't decided when JFK and RFK will die. I could easily see RFK living into the 2000's, but as I said in the last installment, JFK's Addison's will surely catch up with him, probably before 1980.

RFK has an idea of what he wants to do next, but he wants to see just how '68 plays out before making a firm decision. I kinda want to keep it a secret from you guys, which is why I haven't mentioned it yet. It'll be in the next chapter.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 01:52:15 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2018, 03:32:08 PM by Baker/Embry 2018 »

November 19, 1967
Wallace, Goldwater Promise to Reshape Courts

Democratic Presidential candidate and former Alabama Governor George C. Wallace gave a speech on the campaign trail this morning. After condemning the Kennedy Administration’s renewed push for less discriminatory federal housing policy, Gov. Wallace discussed his plans for Supreme Court vacancies, should one (or more) occur during his hypothetical tenure as President. He pledged to appoint justices that would “uphold our Constitution and prevent future Presidents from bulldozing over states’ rights like our current President.”

Similarly, Republican Presidential candidate and Arizona Senator Barry M. Goldwater made a speech about the Court in Manchester, New Hampshire last Thursday. In more polished language, he denounced activist judges on the Court and promised to only appoint strict constitutionalists to the bench, both in the Supreme Court and on lower courts. Goldwater did not express support for segregation.

Several members of the current Court, lead by Chief Justice Thurgood Marshall, are aging and could conceivably retire during the next President’s term in office. Likely candidates include Justices Black, Harlan, Douglas, and possibly Clark. Whoever the next President may be, they may have the potential to reshape the Court for a generation.

January 2, 1968
BREAKING: KENNEDY, BREZHNEV STEP INTO MIDDLE-EASTERN WAR

The Third Arab-Israeli War, now well into its seventh month, has shifted the American government’s attention from training operations in Vietnam to the Middle East. President John F. Kennedy and Soviet First Secretary Leonid Brezhnev both announced today that they would speak to the leaders of Israel and Egypt, respectively, and attempt to strike a peace deal in the process.

The war, which began in June, has flooded television news with pictures of death and destruction, disturbing many in the United States and around the world. As the situation has only gotten worse in the past few months, pressure has increased for world governments to intervene, diplomatically at first and militarily if its necessity becomes evident.

Mr. Brezhnev and Mr. Kennedy, while not personally close, get along much better than their predecessors typically have. After the almost-cataclysmic Cuban Missile Crisis, Mr. Kennedy apparently realized the necessity of improving US-Soviet relations, and has taken steps, such as the joint space program which landed John Glenn and Valentina Tereshkova on the moon in June, towards that goal. It has not been without its political detractors, however, as both Governor George Wallace and Senator Barry Goldwater have been very critical of President Kennedy’s “cozying up” to the Communists, a sentiment which was later echoed by former Vice President Richard Nixon

January 10, 1968
Gallup Poll

President Kennedy Approval Rating
Approve: 65%
Disapprove: 31%
Not sure: 2%
Didn’t answer: 2%

Who do you support for your party’s nomination? (Republicans only)
Barry M. Goldwater: 33%
Richard M. Nixon: 22%
George W. Romney: 14%
Margaret C. Smith: 5%
Other: 1%
Not sure: 24%
Didn’t answer: 1%

Who do you support for your party’s nomination? (Democrats only)
Morris K. Udall: 23%
Lyndon B. Johnson: 20%
George C. Wallace: 18%
George S. McGovern: 18%
Other: 2%
Not sure: 19%
Didn’t answer: 0%

Who are you more inclined to vote for in the general election?
Democrats: 42%
Republicans: 35%
Not sure: 20%

January 16, 1968
CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite

“...the vote on the Civil Rights Act of 1968, or the Fair Housing Act, was held today, and it did not turn out how President Kennedy and other liberals had hoped. With 58 yeas, 32 nays, and 10 not voting for various reasons, the bill failed due to not receiving the 60 votes it needed to be sent to the President’s desk. This landmark bill would have authorized the federal government to enforce policies against racial discrimination in the sale of housing, but upon its death in the Senate today, the government will not get that power…”

January 20, 1968
First Primary in Nation: Close Race on Both Sides

The New Hampshire primary is the first such contest in the country, and it’s shaping up to be a close contest on both sides. Every candidate except Alabama Governor George Wallace has been spending a large amount of their time in the Granite State, including Republican frontrunner Barry Goldwater, who has again had to tone down his conservative rhetoric to have a fighting chance at winning the state, much like he did in 1964. A new poll out today suggests that it may be paying off as the liberal vote seems to be split between the three other major candidates in the Republican field. Senator Goldwater leads with 26% of the vote, while former Vice President Nixon is right on his heels at 24%. Maine Senator Margaret Chase Smith pulled 21% in the poll, while Michigan Governor Romney trailed at 11%. The rest were undecided.

In the Democratic field, the contest is essentially a two-man race between Vice President Mo Udall and Senator George McGovern. The Vice President leads with 32%, while McGovern is right behind him with 31%. Texas Governor Lyndon B. Johnson has a healthy 21%, while Alabama Governor George Wallace’s New Hampshire campaign is virtually nonexistent, polling at only 1%. The rest are undecided.

With two months remaining before the people of New Hampshire go out to vote, candidates are ramping up their campaigning in the state. The contest is always important, as it is the first test of a candidate’s electability, and though it is small, it can sink or buoy a campaign. With it being this close this year, it will surely be interesting who comes out on top.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »

Democrats had huge majorities in both houses, JFK was personally EXTREMELY popular, politically more likable than your average President and lastly this was at an age where most Americans by in large trusted the government (remember no Vietnam in this scenario). So with all that being I ask... how does JFK have only a 56% approval?

No yeah that's a good point. It should probably be a little higher, especially with no Vietnam and a recent moon landing. I'll bump it up to 65%.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ironically, the Rolling Stones released "You Can't Always Get What You Want" in 1969, the first year of the Presidency of whoever wins this election. Wink

(Side note: I wonder how pop culture will be different in this timeline. I genuinely don't know because that's not my area of expertise, though maybe I'll play around with it at some point. Going along with the Stones, I guess you and me didn't kill the Kennedys because they're still alive)
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 03:36:05 PM »

January 17, 1968
Kennedy Lauds Forthcoming Space Treaty
in Final State of the Union Address

President John F. Kennedy gave his final State of the Union address to members of Congress and the American people tonight. In the hour-long speech, the President touted his Administration’s handling of the Arab-Israeli War, and promised peace soon. He made his disappointment with yesterday’s failure of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 very clear. He also praised the joint Soviet-US space program and the moon landing (John Glenn was in attendance), and the general easing of tensions between the US and USSR. Kennedy spent slightly more time discussing the Outer Space Treaty, which is poised to be ratified and signed sometime in the next week or two. Kennedy urged Congress to go through with the ratification, though there is very little opposition to the treaty in the legislature.

Kennedy ended his address by stating confidently that “regardless of who wins the next election, we have led the United States through the ‘60’s and have prepared the next man to stand in this spot to lead us on into the ‘70’s.”

January 19, 1968
BREAKING: NELSON ROCKEFELLER ENDORSES GEORGE ROMNEY

1964 Republican Presidential nominee and New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller made a surprise endorsement this morning. Expected to stay neutral in the Republican primary race due to the presence of two moderate-to-liberal candidates (Governor Romney of Michigan and Senator Smith of Maine) running for the nomination, the GOP standard-bearer instead chose to throw his weight behind the Michigan Governor.

There had previously been some speculation that Rockefeller would mount another campaign for the nomination, but he stated in a speech last year that “my time has come and gone,” and that it was instead the time for other leaders to step up and take the liberal mantle in the party. Apparently, that choice was George W. Romney and not his 1964 running-mate, Margaret Chase Smith.

The Smith campaign could not be reached for comment.

February 20, 1968
Gallup Poll

Approve: 68%
Disapprove: 29%

Barry M. Goldwater: 36%
Richard M. Nixon: 21%
George W. Romney: 17%
Margaret C. Smith: 5%

Morris K. Udall: 23%
Lyndon B. Johnson: 23%
George C. Wallace: 20%
George S. McGovern: 17%
Not sure: 15%

Democrats: 42%
Republicans: 36%

February 21, 1968
Peace Agreement Reached in Egypt-Israel Conflict

TEL AVIV - After over a month of negotiations between US President Kennedy, Soviet leader Brezhnev, Egyptian President Nasser, and Israeli Prime Minister Eshkol, a peace agreement was reached in the early hours of this morning. Fighting will cease immediately, and the Sinai Peninsula will be returned to Egypt, the West Bank (excluding east Jerusalem) will be returned to Jordan, and the Golan Heights will be returned to Syria. In exchange, Israel will get a UN-guarantee that the Straits of Tiran will remain open to Israeli shipping, and will be allowed to keep the Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem.

The Third Arab-Israeli War, also already becoming dubbed the “Eight Month War,” has taken nearly 40,000 lives between Israel, Egypt, Jordan, and Syria, and caused millions of dollars in damage. United States Secretary of State Dean Rusk said that “this is an uneasy peace, but it is peace, and right now, that is what matters.” President Kennedy and Secretary Brezhnev are being commended by the international community for their effectiveness and willingness to cooperate.

March 5 - 8, 1968
Kennedy, Brezhnev meet in Glassboro to celebrate easing of US-Soviet tensions
March 10, 1968
NH Polling (Republican): Goldwater 26%, Smith 26%, Nixon 25%, Romney 19%NH Polling (Democratic): McGovern 36%, Udall 34%, Johnson 24%, Wallace 2%
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 02:25:06 PM »

March 12, 1968
Barry

Senator Barry Goldwater got the news via phone call.

“Senator, you came in second place tonight. A very close second. In New Hampshire.”

Barry smiled. Yes, the Lady from Maine, probably acting as a voice for all the angry women in the Granite State, had beaten the rugged outdoorsman from Arizona. But New Hampshire was far to Barry’s left (supposedly), and coming in second place to a Maine Senator was a good sign for the Goldwater campaign. And he’d still beaten that slimy SOB Nixon, which was good enough for him.

The general election would be tough against anyone the Democrats decided to nominate, save Wallace (whom they would never nominate). But Barry would worry about that after he won the nomination.

Because he would win the nomination this time. Barry just knew it.

Republican New Hampshire Primary, 1968
Margaret C. Smith: 28.55%
Barry M. Goldwater: 27.86%
Richard M. Nixon: 21.97%
George W. Romney: 20.82%
Others: 0.80%

(Italics = write-in)

March 12, 1968
George

If anyone still believed that Vice President Udall was just sailing to the nomination by virtue of being Vice President, Senator George McGovern had just proved them wrong. The Vice President had lost to the Senator from South Dakota.

George was thrilled. He had nothing against Udall personally, of course, but George thought Udall was wholly unfit for the presidency. Apparently President Kennedy had his reservations too, as he hadn’t offered any help to his struggling VP. And apparently the voters of New Hampshire didn’t think Udall was the best choice either.

Now, George didn’t think he was going to have a cakewalk to the nomination either. He wasn’t naive. Udall would have the establishment vote at the convention, probably, if Johnson didn’t lock it up before then. The South would uniformly go for Wallace, with the exception of Texas and maybe Maryland, though Governor Mahoney controlled the latter’s delegation, which probably was good news for Wallace. McGovern hoped to win the support of the Manufacturing Belt and the Plains states, and possibly some of those out West, though he’d be competing with Udall for that (and most other) territory. The convention would be… interesting, to say the least.

But if he could do it, McGovern was confident that he’d crush Goldwater in the fall and become the 36th President. All he had to do was win the nomination.

Democratic New Hampshire Primary, 1968
George S. McGovern: 38.26%
Morris K. Udall: 34.97%
Lyndon B. Johnson: 23.11%
George C. Wallace: 1.88%
Others: 1.78%

(Italics = write-in)
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 10:00:14 AM »

April 2, 1968
Morris

The votes were in, and Vice President Udall still hadn’t won a primary.

Mo had hoped to ride the support of the traditional establishment of the Democratic party to victory: the labor unions and party bosses. But after Governor Johnson got into the race, the establishment had split and a large chuck of it had gone to the former Vice President rather than the current one. Mo didn’t really have a solid, undivided base of support. The establishment was split between Mo and Johnson, Southern segregationists and white blue-collar workers went for Wallace (not that Mo wanted those people’s support), and progressive liberals lined up behind McGovern.

Jack wasn’t helping anything, for sure. He’d remained neutral in the primaries thus far, which didn’t seem likely to change anytime soon.

The Wisconsin primary had been a mess. It should have been an easy win for either Mo or Johnson (and would have been if establishment support hadn’t been split), but instead the divided base had lead Wallace to sneak up and win with barely 30% of the vote.

Democratic Wisconsin Primary, 1968
George C. Wallace: 30.27%
Morris K. Udall: 28.99%
Lyndon B. Johnson: 25.51%
George S. McGovern: 15.08%
Other: 0.15%
(Italics = write-in)

Mo was worried about the state of the Democratic race. Party unity was essential; 1968 was totally winnable for the Democrats, especially since Goldwater was doing very well, but was a relatively weak general election opponent. Sure, Romney had won Wisconsin, but only barely.

Republican Wisconsin Primary, 1968
George W. Romney: 37.36%
Barry M. Goldwater: 37.04%
Richard M. Nixon: 19.84%
Margaret C. Smith: 5.57%
Others: 0.19%
(Italics = write-in)

Mo had considered a number of potential options, up to and including dropping out if he didn't win a primary soon, but that was a drastic move. At worst, he could get a number of delegates at the convention just by virtue of being the sitting Vice President of the United States. If it weren’t enough, he could still play kingmaker. Mo hoped he wouldn’t be relegated to such an insignificant position, but he’d take anything he could get.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 12:16:59 AM »

JFK probably wouldn't mind Wallace winning the nomination, because Wallace loses to whoever the Republicans put up, and then either RFK or Teddy beats them in 1972 (especially if it's Goldwater).
That would be interesting. No comment other than that. Wink

Also a fun random not at all connected thought but remember this timeline is loosely based on 11/22/63 by Stephen King (without the time travel stuff, obviously). I found the exposition of what happens politically after Epping saves Kennedy a tad bit completely implausible but I've planned out ways to pay homage to the book that inspired this series while still remaining grounded in some semblance of reality.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 10:04:51 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2018, 02:00:16 PM by JFK »

April 4, 1968
BREAKING: MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. SHOT IN MEMPHIS, IN SERIOUS CONDITION
April 5, 1968
BREAKING: RACE RIOTS BREAK OUT ACROSS THE COUNTRY FOLLOWING ATTEMPT ON KING’S LIFE
April 5, 1968
Candidates Respond to King Assassination Attempt

After the shooting of civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. in Memphis, Tennessee yesterday, all candidates for President (except one) have suspended their campaigns and offered condolences for the family of Dr. King. Vice President Udall called the attempt “a reflection of the worst in our society;” Senator Goldwater called the attack “horrific” and described the shooter, who has yet to be found, “sick” and “demented;” Governor Johnson said that “attacks like this have no place in America;” Senator McGovern gave a well-received, impassioned plea for the government to do more about combating racism, stating that “this latest attack is a symptom of a greater problem in our country, not the whole problem in and of itself.”

President Kennedy gave a prime-time televised speech informing the nation of what he called “the hideous assault on one of our nation’s brightest minds.”

Fmr. Vice President Nixon, Governor Romney, and Senator Smith all also made statements on the attack and suspended their campaigns for a week. One candidate stood defiant, however: former Alabama Governor George Wallace. While his recent rhetoric has been significantly toned down from past statements he has made, Wallace has not suspended his campaign or even made any mention of the attempt on King’s life. In fact, he will be in Memphis next week to campaign.

King is in serious condition at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Memphis.

April 8, 1968
BREAKING: WALLACE SHOT BY BLACK MAN AT CAMPAIGN EVENT IN MEMPHIS
Breaking from other 1968 Presidential candidates who suspended their campaigns out of respect for Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., former Alabama Governor George Wallace made a campaign stop in Memphis, Tennessee this afternoon. Despite the city being the city where King was shot just days ago, Wallace not only didn’t mention the shooting, but stressed the need for “law and order” - a direct attack on the recent race riots caused by the assassination attempt - and expressed support for segregation.

About halfway through his speech, a black man shouted “die, Wallace!” and shot the Governor on the spot. The man was quickly dragged out of the venue, but not before he got an additional shot in at Wallace. Early reports say that the Governor was hit on the right arm and below his right shoulder.

Perhaps ironically, Wallace is currently at St. Joseph’s Hospital, the same hospital where Dr. King is also being held.

April 11, 1968
Wallace Released from Hospital, Vows to Continue Fight

Alabama Governor George Wallace, victim of a recent assassination attempt, was released from St. Joseph’s Hospital in Memphis, TN this morning. The would-be assassin shot Wallace twice, but the shots merely grazed his right arm and shoulder.

Wallace promised to continue his Presidential campaign and will not drop out. A preliminary poll conducted by Gallup seems to show that this attempt may have actually galvanized Wallace’s supporters, not deterred them from voting for him.

April 17, 1968
BREAKING: MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL, GIVES SPEECH

Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., on whom there was recently an assassination attempt, has recovered well enough to be released from St. Joseph’s Hospital in Memphis. While the shot that hit him did not wound him fatally, the wound had become infected, which almost took King’s life. However, he has made a steady recovery, and doctors felt he could be released today.

Outside the hospital, King gave a lively televised speech in which he both praised and condemned President Kennedy’s attempted progress on civil rights; he said that Kennedy had done more on this issue than most, but that it also still wasn’t enough. King described the recent riots (due to the attempt on his life) as “righteous anger” and “the language of the unheard.” However, he called on the rioters to not give political opponents of civil rights - like George Wallace, who also fell victim to an assassination attempt in Memphis, and also survived it - ammunition. Instead, he plead with them to join him for the upcoming “Poor People’s Campaign,” scheduled for this summer.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 10:17:01 AM »

April 23, 1968
BREAKING: Johnson, Goldwater win Pennsylvania primaries
April 25, 1968
Gallup Poll

Approve: 70%
Disapprove: 29%
Not sure: 1%

Barry M. Goldwater: 46%
George W. Romney: 19%
Richard M. Nixon: 17%
Margaret C. Smith: 3%
Not sure: 13%

Lyndon B. Johnson: 26%
George C. Wallace: 22%
Morris K. Udall: 19%
George S. McGovern: 19%
Not sure: 12%

Democrats: 45%
Republicans: 40%
Not sure: 14%

April 26, 1968
Goldwater the Republican Favorite; Democratic Nominee Uncertain

Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater has been the frontrunner for the 1968 Republican nomination since he lost the same nomination in 1964. However, in recent months, his lead has expanded dramatically over former Vice President Richard Nixon and Michigan Governor George Romney, his main competitors for the nomination. While a Goldwater ticket is not yet assured, it is highly unlikely that either Nixon or Romney will be able to prevent Goldwater from securing the nomination on the first ballot unless one of them drops out and endorses the other before the convention.

As for the Democrats, Vice President Udall, once the frontrunner, has dropped to third place in recent polling. Governor Johnson and former Governor Wallace has both lept ahead of the Vice President, who is now tied with Senator McGovern for last place. Udall is the only candidate whose base of support is unclear; his support is pulled from groups that are shared Johnson (labor unions and their workers) and McGovern (progressives, women, and religious and ethnic minorities) but Udall does not appeal to those groups as much as the other candidates do.

Perhaps the Vice President’s campaign slogan should be, “jack of all trades and master of none.”

April 30, 1968
BREAKING: McGovern, Smith win Massachusetts primaries
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 11:37:48 AM »

May 5, 1968
BREAKING: Udall wins Washington, D.C. Primary
May 7, 1968
BREAKING: Goldwater wins IN primary, Romney takes OH, Nixon wins D.C.BREAKING: Wallace narrowly carries OH, IN
May 8, 1968
Wallace's Appeal in Midwest Stronger than Once Thought

Alabama Governor George Wallace has had a surprising string of victories in the primaries held in Wisconsin, Ohio, and Indiana. Wallace’s message of returning to days past with regard to the economy, American attitudes towards Communism, and issues of civil rights has struck a chord among southerners, but with these wins, it appears that his appeal to white blue-collar workers in the Midwest has been underestimated. He only narrowly won each of those three primaries with about 30% of the vote in each state, but divisions in the Democratic party establishment (exemplified by the candidacies of Lyndon Johnson and Morris Udall) are letting Wallace slip past both and win primaries he wouldn’t otherwise be competitive in.

Some say the recent attempt on Wallace’s life may have had a positive effect on his polling numbers, though they were already on the upswing before the attempt.

It is still highly unlikely that Wallace will be the nominee, as he is massively unpopular outside the South, Midwest, and Plains states.

May 14, 1968
BREAKING: Goldwater wins WV, NE primariesBREAKING: Wallace wins WV primary, McGovern edges out Alabama Governor in NE
May 15, 1968
Gallup Poll

Approve: 71%
Disapprove: 28%

Barry M. Goldwater: 53%
George W. Romney: 22%
Richard M. Nixon: 14%
Margaret C. Smith: 2%
Not sure: 7%

Lyndon B. Johnson: 27%
George C. Wallace: 24%
Morris K. Udall: 20%
George S. McGovern: 20%
Not sure: 7%

Democrats: 46%
Republicans: 43%
Not sure: 10%

May 28, 1968
BREAKING: Goldwater wins FL primary, Nixon wins ORBREAKING: Wallace wins FL primary, McGovern wins OR
May 31, 1968
Candidates Focus on California as Convention Fights Loom

As the month of May concludes, the candidates for President have shifted their attention to the upcoming California primary, taking place on June 4th. The state’s large delegate count means that it could very well end up being the most important primary of the year, as it was in 1964, when Nelson Rockefeller won the primary and revived his ultimately successful bid for the nomination (success which did not end up carrying him to the White House).

On the Republican side, only Senator Goldwater and former Vice President Nixon will be on the ballot. Goldwater hopes to unite conservatives behind him and turn them out in record numbers, while also reaching out to moderates. Polls seem to indicate that Goldwater’s attacks on Nixon - that he’s “old news,” that he cares about power more than the issues or the American people, that his attempt to win the nomination in 1964 cost the Republicans the election - are doing real damage, damage that Nixon hopes to overcome with the home state advantage. Nixon was born, raised, and has held office in California. His campaign, which has painted Goldwater as a conservative extremist, will attempt to appeal to liberals in the major cities, much like Nelson Rockefeller’s campaign in the state 4 years ago. The two are essentially tied in polls leading up to the primary.

As for the Democrats, Vice President Udall, Senator McGovern, and Governor Wallace are all on the ballot; Governor Johnson is not. McGovern hopes to win progressive liberals, while Wallace will turn out many a conservative Democrat. Udall will win voters who are in between, and, seeing as Johnson is not running in the state, will stand a greater chance at victory. Udall leads, followed by McGovern, who trails Udall by 1 point. Wallace is only an average of 2 percentage points behind McGovern in polling, which is essentially a polling error away from victory; thus, California is also anyone's game on the Democratic side as well.

The Republican convention, to be held in Miami this year, will likely be somewhat dramatic, though Goldwater stands a very good chance at being made the nominee on the first ballot. In contrast, the Democratic convention in Chicago is sure to be contentious as the four major candidates duke it out for the nomination. Governor Johnson and Vice President Udall have the best chances of becoming the nominee, followed by Senator McGovern, and then Governor Wallace.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 10:02:16 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2018, 10:19:47 AM by JFK »

June 4, 1968
Barry

It was all but certain now. Goldwater would be the nominee; the RNC just needed to confirm it.

Barry had travelled up and down the Golden State, in both the cities and the rural areas, enlisting the help of charismatic, mildly popular Governor Ronald Reagan to turn out conservatives across the state. Dick had stayed in the cities, for the most part.

Goldwater had won the primary, by a larger margin than expected. In Nixon’s home state.

Republican California Primary, 1968
Barry M. Goldwater: 52.47%
Richard M. Nixon: 46.89%
Others: 0.64%
(Italics = write-in)

Goldwater had also won South Dakota (easily) and New Jersey (by 5 points over Nixon, who was, in turn, 3 points ahead of Romney). Pundits were predicting that he’d win the nomination on the first ballot, assuming Nixon didn’t try anything (which was a hell of an assumption).

Barry knew who he wanted for VP, too. He didn’t give a damn about experience; Barry himself was already experienced enough. No, he wanted someone who could orate. A charismatic guy could help him out. He already had a cult following, but Barry wanted his ticket to have mainstream appeal, with a familiar face on bottom. He also wanted that man to be Governor (since Barry was in the Senate) of a state with a lot of electoral votes. Bonus points if he was an “f--- you” to the Eastern Establishment of the Republican party (Barry didn’t give a damn about geographical diversity, either).

To the Senator from Arizona, his choice for running mate was very, very clear.

June 4, 1968
Morris

Horror was all the Vice President felt right now.

Wallace? He won
California?!

Democratic California Primary, 1968
George C. Wallace: 35.31%
Morris K. Udall: 35.08%
George S. McGovern: 21.06%
Lyndon B. Johnson: 7.84%
Others: 0.71%

(Italics = write-in)

Mo should have known Wallace had a chance at winning all along. First: he was immensely popular in the rural areas of the state. Orange county loved Wallace, for instance. Second: McGovern and write-ins for Johnson (which were basically thrown-away votes, since the Texas Governor was not even a registered candidate in the California primary) syphoned support away from the Vice President. All Wallace needed to do was win enough poor white workers in LA and San Francisco and the other cities, and he’d have enough of a coalition to win by the narrowest of margins. And that’s what he’d done.

No matter. Udall had won New Jersey, and McGovern had won his home state. Udall, Johnson, and McGovern had their disagreements, but one thing they would never let happen was “1968 Democratic Presidential Nominee George Wallace.” Wallace versus Goldwater in ‘68 would be the ideological reverse of the Kennedy versus Rockefeller matchup of four years ago. It would just invite some moderate-to-liberal candidate to swoop in and win, a candidate like-

Oh.

Oh no.

June 11, 1968
BREAKING: Goldwater, Udall win respective Illinois primaries, concluding 1968 primaries
July 1 - August 5
- Poor People’s Campaign Occupies National Mall, draws praise from liberals, ire from Wallace
- President Kennedy, MLK Jr., Carmichael, Jackson address temporary “Poor People’s City;” protests peaceful & largely seen as success
- Goldwater says Kennedy “soft on the evils of creeping Communism” with regard to Vietnam
- After five years of pop, the Beatles go their separate ways
- Goldwater praises civil rights movement's goals, says he’d prefer state, not federal, legislation on equal rights
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 10:15:32 AM »

Great story! Just a small issue: when you have long headlines, could you make them not marquee'd/moving? It's very hard to read some of it when there are, like, three lines of moving text
OK thanks, I love feedback like this. I'm experimenting with tweaking the format but I obviously want it to be readable! I'll make some changes.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 11:05:39 AM »

August 5 - 8, 1968
Republican National Convention

Unlike the Cow Palace Convention of four years prior, the Republicans were pretty certain of their nominee when they met in Miami in August of 1968. Right before the convention, George Romney rather abruptly announced that he would not accept any nomination (including the Vice Presidential slot) by the Republican party, and returned to Michigan in the hopes that this would help solidify support behind Nixon in a kind of “Stop Goldwater” movement - the kind of movement which had worked four years ago.

The first day was the fight over the platform. It was the most conservative Republican platform in history. Aggressive containment of Communism? Check. Cuts to social programs? Check. Supporting civil and states’ rights? Check. Richard Nixon was the newfound leader of the liberal Republicans (a title not exceedingly befitting of the former Vice President), but he couldn’t get much in the way of concessions with regards to the platform. It looked as though the liberal Republicans had been forcibly removed from power, even though they had only gained said power one election ago.

Leading up to balloting, Nixon pulled out every stop, buttered up every friend, sucked up to every foe, and tried every dirty trick he knew. And yet, when the votes were cast, it wasn’t even close to being enough. Goldwater’s conservative movement was much too strong to be stopped.

First Ballot, Republican National Convention, 1968
(total = 1,333, majority = 667)
Barry M. Goldwater: 758
Richard M. Nixon: 345
George W. Romney: 112
Margaret C. Smith: 53
All other candidates: 65

What had been assumed - a Goldwater victory on the first ballot - was confirmed without a hitch. Richard Nixon begrudgingly conceded and endorsed Goldwater, saying that “the Republican Party must not be divided like we were four years ago. We must unite behind Goldwater or let Democrats run the country for another 4 years.” Senator Smith gave a speech in support of the Goldwater ticket, and the Romney campaign issued a press release endorsing the Arizona Senator as well. Now that Goldwater had the party united behind a ticket, he needed someone to fill the bottom of it.

And find that person Goldwater did. He was pressured to pick a northeastern establishment type, like Jim Rhodes, Bill Scranton, or possibly Nelson Rockefeller or even Margaret Chase Smith. Instead, he scrapped all that and turned to an inexperienced, charismatic, unabashedly conservative Governor from the Golden State.

California Governor Ronald Reagan accepting the 1968 Republican Vice Presidential Nomination

Reagan was much beloved by everyone except the northeastern establishment types, and even they could be persuaded by Governor Reagan’s Hollywood charm. After giving his acceptance speech, party leaders came away impressed and secure in the knowledge that Reagan would only help Goldwater, geographic diversity be damned. In fact, the only thing they feared was the Reagan might overshadow Goldwater.

Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater accepting the 1968 Republican Presidential Nomination

The newly-christened Presidential nominee got behind the podium and gave what many call the greatest speech of his career, effectively putting (most) of those concerns to bed. Goldwater reiterated the point he had made at the last convention - “and I say to you again: extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - to rapturous applause.

Nevertheless, though the party was unified behind a ticket, Goldwater/Reagan came out of the convention slightly behind in the polls.

The overwhelming question on everyone’s minds?

Polling behind whom?
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 12:17:52 PM »

August 10, 1968
Goldwater Campaign Hires Three New Aides

The newly-coronated Goldwater/Reagan campaign has made several new hires since the convention, sources familiar to the campaign say. Campaign manager Denison Kitchel has announced that Harvard Defense Studies Program Director Henry Kissinger will be the campaign’s new foreign policy advisor. Retired General Curtis LeMay will also join the campaign to advise Goldwater on issues pertaining to the military specifically, and on ways to fight Communism abroad. And finally, Yale Law professor Robert Bork, a major proponent of constitutional originalism, will join the campaign to advise on issues of law, joining current legal advisor (and close friend of Goldwater) Phyllis Schlafly.

August 20, 1968
Gallup Poll

Approve: 70%
Disapprove: 28%

Lyndon B. Johnson: 26%
George C. Wallace: 25%
Morris K. Udall: 22%
George S. McGovern: 20%
Not sure: 5%

Democrats: 45%
Senator Barry Goldwater/Governor Ronald Reagan: 42%
Other: 3%
Not sure: 10%

August 25, 1968
Daley Increases Convention Security as Protesters Descend

Chicago Mayor Richard Daley has ordered the Chicago police to ramp up security measures around the International Amphitheatre, the site of the Democratic Convention. Hundreds of anti-Wallace protesters have descended upon the city, and more will certainly follow if the Alabama Governor wins the nomination. While a Wallace nomination is still something of a longshot, it is by no means impossible if Southern support remains strong, he gains the votes of delegates from the Plains, and wins delegates from the Manufacturing Belt.

The anti-Wallace protesters skew young and are mostly black; however, a significant minority are white college students. All are opposed to the governor’s stance on segregation, which has been slow to be dismantled. While the governor has been less openly racist in this year’s campaign than in his campaign in 1964, when he openly hurled racial epithets, Wallace still supports maintaining segregation and has spoken out against civil rights protesters and programs the Kennedy Administration has attempted to use to increase the standard of living among blacks.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 06:32:13 PM »

Are you planning on Chappaquiddick to still happen?
I hate to reveal much beforehand. Let's just say that if it happens, obviously there will be negative consequences, but even if it doesn't, the knock-on effect might not be totally ideal for Teddy...
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 11:47:09 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2018, 11:54:47 AM by JFK »

August 26 - 29, 1968
Democratic National Convention

The Democratic party entered their quadrennial convention, in Chicago this time, without a nominee. As expected, Udall, Johnson, McGovern, and Wallace were all far short of the 1,304 delegates needed to secure the nomination on the first ballot. All four candidates jockeyed for the support of the remaining unpledged delegates, and all four had a chance to win the nomination (though some were more likely than others).

Hundreds of protesters gathered outside the convention hall to protest against the very presence of Governor George Wallace at the convention. They shouted and chanted for McGovern or Udall or even Lyndon Johnson; as long as the nominee wasn’t Wallace, they’d be happy. The protests remained peaceful, though the police tasked with keeping an eye on them treated them like they were a violent, riotous mob.

The platform creation process was a little less of a mess than it usually was when there was no nominee; Wallace, while socially conservative, was rather fiscally liberal, as were the other three candidates. The party resolved to simply ignore the topic of segregation and civil rights entirely, letting the eventual nominee decide where they stood on the issues. This angered the protesters, but helped with party unity.

In the hours before the first ballot was cast, the four candidates scrambled to get the endorsements of the remaining delegates. And then, the vote was taken.

First Ballot, Democratic National Convention, 1968
(total = 2,607, majority = 1,304)
George C. Wallace: 891
Lyndon B. Johnson: 652
Morris K. Udall: 601
George S. McGovern: 392
Others: 71

Wallace, somewhat surprisingly, came out on top. However, it didn’t matter much, because now primary state delegates were unbound, and could be swayed by Lyndon B. Johnson, a masterful political maneuverer.

Second Ballot, Democratic National Convention, 1968

Lyndon B. Johnson: 1,018
George C. Wallace: 621
George S. McGovern: 476
Morris K. Udall: 427
Others: 65

Still, Johnson’s tactics were not enough to secure the nomination on the second ballot. Nor, as it turns out, the third. Or the fourth. By the fifth ballot, Udall had been so diminished by McGovern and Johnson that he only had his home state’s delegation and that of Mormon-heavy Utah pledged to him. Wallace, in the meantime, had wrested Wisconsin and Kentucky back from Johnson, but could not get Florida back, as its delegation was controlled by George Smathers, a Johnson ally.

Fifth Ballot, Democratic National Convention, 1968

Lyndon B. Johnson: 956
George S. McGovern: 772
George C. Wallace: 765
Morris K. Udall: 58
Others: 56

Following the fifth ballot, Vice President Udall gave a speech to the convention dropping out of contention. The sixth ballot was hardly different from the fifth, and the seventh wasn’t much different from the sixth, and on it went. Before the tenth ballot, Democrats tried to draft Agriculture Secretary Orville Freeman as a compromise, but Secretary Freeman immediately shut that attempt down with a Shermanesque statement. Finally, just before the fourteenth ballot, George McGovern gave a speech. Many expected him to drop out of the running. They were wrong.

“...cannot let our party be overrun by the forces of Southern bigotry. George Wallace represents the worst of our party, but Lyndon B. Johnson is only better by comparison. He doesn’t care about the issues we progressives do, he only pretends to in order to win our votes! Never has a more conniving, crooked political operative stood for nomination by the Democratic party. That is why I will not be dropping out of contention on the next ballot.

Delegates, select me to be your nominee and we will forge a better America for blacks and immigrants. We will end the Cold War, build bridges with the USSR and not walls, and ensure democracy around the world through diplomacy and never through unprovoked war. We will pull our ‘military advisers’ out of Vietnam, where they have no business being. We will ensure free government-provided health insurance for most Americans. We will repair relations with Cuba. We will…”

It was intended to rally delegates to McGovern’s side. Instead, the South Dakota Senator came off as a “dime-store Communist,” in the words of one delegate from Missouri. "McGovern is probably unelectable, maybe even against Goldwater," President Kennedy was rumored to have said.

But then, just before balloting began, the whole game changed.

NOTE: State maps show who won the majority or plurality of a state's delegations, not necessarily the entirety of them
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 03:09:03 PM »

August 28, 1968
Lyndon

Governor Lyndon B. Johnson had the national Democratic Party just where he wanted them.

Lyndon was a proud, lifelong Democrat. He was also a fighter, and not one to go down easily.

When the tax evasion scandal broke back in ‘64, the Democrats hadn’t just left him for dead, they’d forced him out of office and replaced him with some boy from Arizona. Even Jack didn’t like Funny Guy enough to endorse him in the primaries. Anyway, Lyndon had bounced back in a dramatic fashion. He’d beaten Connally, twice, and used his political machine to win the governorship. And now, he was out for blood.

Those pointy-headed New England party insiders had begged him to stay out of the ‘68 election. That was stupid of them, because without Lyndon, that racist from Alabama would be in a much better position than he was now, especially since McGovern now had that great big “dime-store Communist” label stamped on his forehead for all of America to see. Lyndon was about to prove that hypothesis, right after he finished his scotch and cigar.

The DNC didn’t want to nominate Lyndon after thirteen ballots? Fine. I’ll make them sorry they didn’t, he thought. He’d always had a contingency plan.

I can’t f--- the DNC in the a--, but I’m sure as hell not gonna let them get away with what they did to me in ‘64. I’m gonna at least p----rslap them.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 03:13:29 PM »

August 26 - 29, 1968
Democratic National Convention

It was intended to rally delegates to McGovern’s side. Instead, the South Dakota Senator came off as a “dime-store Communist,” in the words of one delegate from Missouri.

Fun fact: this was Missouri Lt. Governor and Democratic nominee for US Senate Thomas Eagleton who made this comment. The same guy who wounded McGovern with the "acid, amnesty, and abortion" comment (and destroyed him with the "Eagleton Affair") IRL.

August 28, 1968
Lyndon

I can’t f--- the DNC in the a--, but I’m sure as hell not gonna let them get away with what they did to me in ‘64. I’m gonna at least p----rslap them.
Paraphrasing my favorite LBJ quote here.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 11:45:29 AM »

August 28, 1968
Jack

F---!

Lyndon Johnson had just either completely f---ed the entire Democratic party, or the entire United States of America. Or, possibly, both simultaneously.

Jack watched from his Chicago hotel room as Lyndon Johnson announced his withdraw from the race for the nomination. The fourteenth ballot was cast. Jack had hoped they’d pick McGovern. Suffice to say that, after that speech McGovern gave seemingly embracing elements of Communism and supporting Communist regimes, they didn’t.

Fourteenth Ballot, Democratic National Convention, 1968
(2,607 = total, 1,304 = majority)

George C. Wallace: 1,478
George S. McGovern: 990
Others: 139

George Corley Wallace would be the Democratic nominee in 1968. Holy f---, Jack thought.

Aides and Democratic higher-ups were abuzz in the President’s hotel room.

“Wallace versus Goldwater? That’s a terrible match-up!”

“Who’ll be Wallace’s running mate?”

“Mr. President, what does this mean for your legacy?”

"Can we undo this ballot and choose someone else?"

"No," said the President, "the ballot has been cast. While I don't agree with Wallace at all, a quarter of primary voters voted for him, and a majority of the delegates did as well. As for the running mate, I have an idea..."

Jack was quiet for a minute as he thought it through a little more. "Yes, he'll do. Give him Mahoney to run with."

“Who?”

“The Governor of Maryland. The somewhat racist former businessman. The DNC just made a mistake, but I think we should make the most of it.” Jack didn’t want to say it out loud, because some southern Democrats were in the room, but what he meant was that progressive Democrats had the chance to kill off everything Wallace stood for in the Democratic party: social conservatism and racist demagoguery. Wallace would crash and burn, if Jack had his way, and out of the ashes would rise a new, more progressive Democratic party in ‘72. And he knew just who he’d support as leader of that movement.

An aide spread the word. A few minutes later, George P. Mahoney was the Democratic nominee for Vice President of the United States. Wallace hadn’t had a say in the matter. God help us all, Jack prayed.

Half an hour later, Jack looked at the TV again, and to his surprise, there was Lyndon Johnson.

...have made the grave mistake of nominating someone who is at odds with a large number of those in our party, and in our country. So, I stand up here to announce that not only am I leading a number of our delegations in a walk-out, but I am going to be a candidate for President of the United States as an ‘Independent Democrat’ this November. I have just spoken to the man who will be my running-mate, Florida Senator George Smathers, and we believe that we are the best team to lead the country into the 1970’s. We are committed to the progressive government programs of the Kennedy Administration. We are committed to containing communism. And we are committed to making sure that every American has equal treatment under the-

The feed from the convention floor cut out. Jack’s jaw was still agape. No one had thought to inform the President of the United States that his own former Vice President was about to stage a political coup?

Perhaps because no one had known.

Damn you, Lyndon, you crafty SOB.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 09:30:51 PM »

WOO! I’m surprised Johnson would choose a conservative Southerner as his running-mate. Doesn’t give a large swath of disaffected northern liberals and moderates much of a choice.

Smathers has nothing to lose by "betraying" the Democratic party, as he's retiring in '68.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 01:47:17 PM »

September 3, 1968
Gallup Poll

Approve: 72%
Disapprove: 27%

Governor Lyndon Johnson/Senator George Smathers: 37%, 275 Electoral Votes
Senator Barry Goldwater/Governor Ronald Reagan: 29%, 77 Electoral Votes
Former Governor George Wallace/Governor George Mahoney: 25%, 98 Electoral Votes
Undecided/Tossup: 9%, 88 Electoral Votes
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 10:13:28 AM »

September 1, 1968
Democrats Have Buyers’ Remorse with Wallace;
Pres. Kennedy: “Too Late to Turn Back Now”

Following the nomination of the Democratic ticket of George Wallace and George Mahoney several days ago, many Democrats have expressed regret at the fact that the two conservatives were nominated, and that the progressives split off and either rallied behind the independent candidacy of Governor Lyndon Johnson or have "boycotted" the election. There has even been talk of reconvening the delegates and casting a fifteenth ballot nominating a ticket of Senators George McGovern and Edward Kennedy for President and Vice President, but that would be logistically implausible at this point.

On the topic, President Kennedy made a speech to major Democratic politicians last night, in which he mentioned the ticket. “It was not the ticket I would have preferred,” the President said, “but it had the support of a significant number of the primary voters, and of the majority of the delegates at the convention. At this point, it would be too late to go back and rectify this perceived mistake.”

The President has not endorsed any candidate at this time.

September 6, 1968
Debate Talks Collapse

Networks ABC, CBS, and NBC were all in talks with the three presidential candidates. The topic: holding debates like those held in the past two election years. The 1964 debates were widely viewed by the American public, and brought ABC large amounts of money from advertisers. However, sources in the networks say that the talks to hold debates in the 1968 cycle have collapsed after Barry Goldwater, the Republican nominee, has refused to debate, and Lyndon Johnson, Independent Democrat and odds-on favorite to win the Presidency, refused to participate in a debate that did not include Goldwater, his fiercest competitor.

What this means for the future of televised Presidential debates is uncertain, but one thing is clear: there will not be Presidential debates in 1968.

September 15, 1968
Endorsements from Democrats, Republicans Split

With the unusual ideological bents of the candidates in this year’s Presidential election, endorsements are panning out in odd ways.

President Kennedy has not endorsed any candidate, especially not the candidate of his own party, Governor George Wallace. Wallace, in fact, has received endorsements only from Southern Democrats. Not a single Democratic officeholder from outside of the former Confederacy has endorsed Wallace.

Barry Goldwater has won the endorsement of most Republicans, especially notable conservatives such as William F. Buckley, Jr., who has campaigned with the Senator in recent months. One notable Republican defector: 1964 Presidential nominee and Governor of New York, Nelson Rockefeller. Surprisingly, Rockefeller has thrown his support behind Lyndon B. Johnson, independent Democrat candidate and Governor of Texas.

The former Vice President has won the endorsement of Senator George McGovern, current Vice President Morris Udall, Senator Ted Kennedy, and most Democrats from outside the South (President Kennedy aside).

Among the general electorate, most progressives are supporting Johnson, while Wallace and Goldwater are splitting the conservative vote. Goldwater is doing remarkably well in the South, for a Republican, though Wallace (and to an extent Johnson) have the home field advantage there. Wallace has little appeal outside the South; Johnson and Goldwater are the main competitors outside that region.

September 26, 1968
BREAKING: Goldwater: Can’t Take Nukes “Off the Table”
Republican Presidential nominee Barry Goldwater made what pundits are calling “a potentially major gaffe” this morning. While giving a speech at a rally in Dayton, Ohio, Senator Goldwater said that in the fight against “global communism,” no option can be “taken off the table, including nuclear weapons.” He cited several military experts who have stated that, should war break out, tactical, low-yield nuclear weapons could give the US the upper hand.

This, of course, would break the long-held “nuclear taboo:” after Hiroshima, nuclear weapons are not used in conflict unless absolutely necessary. Many have expressed concern at hearing this kind of cavalier statement from a major Presidential candidate.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies