Toomey wins GOP primary...PA Senate 2004 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:11:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Toomey wins GOP primary...PA Senate 2004 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who WINS?
Toomey (R)

Hoeffel (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Toomey wins GOP primary...PA Senate 2004  (Read 7498 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: September 22, 2005, 08:45:45 PM »

He couldnt have beat Hoeffel. Theres no way. I would predict a 51% to 48% to 1% (Clymer, assuming he'd run) victory for Joe.

First off, Clymer would not have run if Toomey had been in it.  Clymer was running as an alternative to Specter.  Second, all the buzz in the campaign would have been about Toomey.  He would have gotten a huge boost from media coverage that would have raised his stature so high that Hoeffel would have looked very small by comparison.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 03:55:56 PM »

Toomey isn't any further right than Santorum, who has won 2 statewide races and will win a third in 14 or so months.

Really don't understand your persistant belife that Casey will some how throw it away in Pa, sure its possible, but as things stand he's got the edge in what will admitably be a tough race.

As I have said before, there is something you have to understand; Casey's entire career has hinged on his ability to be he father and he has never won a race against a decent opponent.  The race in '04 against Pepper was a joke.  She had zero chance of winning against even a marginal challenger, let alone a Casey.

Casey is a good and humble man, but his father was those things and a natural leader.  Casey Jr. is not a natural leader, in fact, it doesn't even come second nature to him.  Being strongly pro-life is one of the primary reasons why Casey Sr. was so popular in this state, he could unite a solid East-West cooalition against libertarian Republicans.

Things are different today.  A vast majority of any Democrats support is going to come from Philadelphia, which has become increasingly liberal on social issues, but has suburbs that are economically conservative.  If given no cultural reason to vote Casey, then they will vote Santorum, or for another candidate.  However, if Casey goes to the Left, he will prove to a number of people in the rest of the state that he is not his father.  Once that happens, he will lose their support.

Casey has never run a real campaign, not the kind we are talking about.  Santorum's entire career is based around runnign very strong campaigns and being an unexpected winner.

Casey can win, but I don't think he will win or even that he is the favorite.  If anyone else other than Santorum were this far down at this point, I would say that, even given all of the factors that I mentioned with Casey, that person would be toast.  Santorum can fight back, and even if Casey wins, it won't be by much.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies