ABC News: Trump poised to pardon Scooter Libby
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:02:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  ABC News: Trump poised to pardon Scooter Libby
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: ABC News: Trump poised to pardon Scooter Libby  (Read 3156 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »

What is the official justification for the pardon? I can’t see any upside for Trump at all from doing it. It’s not like there’s a massive Libby Lobby that will rejoice at this. The only possible reason to do this that I can think of is if he wanted to appoint him to something (Boltons Deputy NSA?...)

He said that he heard Scooter was treated "very unfairly." (Note that 'fair' to Trump is constantly changing and always defined by him in a way that benefits himself)

This pardon was done solely to send a reminder to people facing the wrath of Mueller that they can expect a pardon from Trump if they stay loyal to him. Of course, knowing Trump, there is no guarantee of a pardon, but he wants them to hold the line anyway.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 02:05:04 PM »

What is the official justification for the pardon? I can’t see any upside for Trump at all from doing it. It’s not like there’s a massive Libby Lobby that will rejoice at this. The only possible reason to do this that I can think of is if he wanted to appoint him to something (Boltons Deputy NSA?...)

He said that he heard Scooter was treated "very unfairly." (Note that 'fair' to Trump is constantly changing and always defined by him in a way that benefits himself)

This pardon was done solely to send a reminder to people facing the wrath of Mueller that they can expect a pardon from Trump if they stay loyal to him. Of course, knowing Trump, there is no guarantee of a pardon, but he wants them to hold the line anyway.

That's what I don't get with some of these guys.  Why would you trust Trump to pardon you?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 02:48:51 PM »

That's what I don't get with some of these guys.  Why would you trust Trump to pardon you?

Good question.

Haldeman and Ehrlichman fully believed that Nixon would pardon them before leaving office.  I guese we don't all guess right.  The only President to pardon someone who could testify against his own dirty work was Daddy Bush, when he pardoned Cap Weinberger.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 05:02:15 PM »

Judith Miller points out that she was duped by Fitzgerald.

Link
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 01:53:00 PM »

May have been in part a personal favor to Bolton.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 07:14:43 PM »

What is the official justification for the pardon? I can’t see any upside for Drumpf at all from doing it. It’s not like there’s a massive Libby Lobby that will rejoice at this. The only possible reason to do this that I can think of is if he wanted to appoint him to something (Boltons Deputy NSA?...)

May have been in part a personal favor to Bolton.

To quote M. Bison from the 'Street Fighter' movie: "OF COURSE!"
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »

Weird. I was told that Obama's pardon of Chelsea Manning amounted to "TrEaSOn."

Whatever one thinks of Manning, she at least arguably had virtuous intent instead of leaking classified information to get back at a political opponent.

And no, I'm not defending Chelsea Manning. She's bad. Libby's worse.

Libby was never found guilty of leaking classified information, much less with intent to harm anyone.

(Obama was right to commute Manning's sentence. He was also right not to pardon him.)

Right. Armitage leaked Plame's name and Libby covered that up. My reading is that there was coordination to leak Plame to get back at Wilson, but the facts of what happened are muddied enough that it's reasonable to come to a different conclusion on the why and how, as I suspect you do.

I also feel compelled to note that Manning's preferred pronoun is "she" now. I'm assuming it was just a typo.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2018, 04:41:28 PM »

Weird. I was told that Obama's pardon of Chelsea Manning amounted to "TrEaSOn."

Whatever one thinks of Manning, she at least arguably had virtuous intent instead of leaking classified information to get back at a political opponent.

And no, I'm not defending Chelsea Manning. She's bad. Libby's worse.

Libby was never found guilty of leaking classified information, much less with intent to harm anyone.

(Obama was right to commute Manning's sentence. He was also right not to pardon him.)

Right. Armitage leaked Plame's name and Libby covered that up. My reading is that there was coordination to leak Plame to get back at Wilson, but the facts of what happened are muddied enough that it's reasonable to come to a different conclusion on the why and how, as I suspect you do.

I also feel compelled to note that Manning's preferred pronoun is "she" now. I'm assuming it was just a typo.

Inferences from a recanted testimony isn't enough to claim someone covered something up imo.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies