CNN: Barbara Bush is in failing health
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:30:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CNN: Barbara Bush is in failing health
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: CNN: Barbara Bush is in failing health  (Read 4341 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 04:09:13 PM »

Oh no, I hope she recovers. Both older Bushes are FFs.

When people go on hospice care, it's generally because there is no reasonable hope for recovery.
A family friend had to make this decision a few weeks ago and recently passed away. It's never an easy decision, either for the patient or for their family.

Agree.
She is at a point where she is tired of all the poking and doctors.
There comes a time when you just want to go home and peacefully go. Sad but true.

You’re essentially choosing a peaceful surrender over a painful fight. Been there, it’s a tough moment.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 04:14:30 PM »

Oh no, I hope she recovers. Both older Bushes are FFs.

When people go on hospice care, it's generally because there is no reasonable hope for recovery.
A family friend had to make this decision a few weeks ago and recently passed away. It's never an easy decision, either for the patient or for their family.

Agree.
She is at a point where she is tired of all the poking and doctors.
There comes a time when you just want to go home and peacefully go. Sad but true.

You’re essentially choosing a peaceful surrender over a painful fight. Been there, it’s a tough moment.

She knows she's got little time left, so why prolonge by undergoing a treatment that is doomed to fail anyway.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 04:30:28 PM »

HP. I remember what she said about Hurricane Katrina victims.

She'll be fine. 92 years of wealth and privilege is more than most.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 04:54:46 PM »

No Trump supporter has any right to extend any sympathy to her or her family after the crap your current leader (who you’ll dump as soon as it’s convenient, just like you did with Dubya) threw at the Bush family.

I don't think you will find too many people on the left who think W was an overtly good president. He doesn't seem quite as bad as he did around 2007-2008, mostly because of the ethnic nationalist turn the Republican party has since taken under Trump, but he still seems pretty awful.

Democrats today commonly express positive views of GWB because he is useful to them. Since Trump is currently the enemy, complimenting Bush bears no political consequences as he's not running for anything. It is useful for them to build a facade of bipartisan credibility, so GWB is a convenient prop. It also helps them find another angle to criticize Trump from since it doesn't matter much what direction Trump is criticized from as long as he's criticized. That's all. Politicos do that sort of thing all the time. Republicans did this with Hillary/Obama once upon a time too. Only a fool (which incidentally does include most of the GOP establishment Tongue) takes such compliments as genuine.

If you are talking about the elder Bush -- then you are talking about the source of the sane foreign policy that Bill Clinton maintained and Barack Obama restored.  The younger Bush at the least left no question of where his loyalty lay and did not have a sleazy personal life.  Gonald Trump is simply horrible. 
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 04:58:01 PM »

I hate to say it, but once she goes I doubt Bush 41 lasts much longer without her
Agreed, sadly.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2018, 07:04:04 PM »

darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 07:47:18 PM »

Did she push for the airplane smoking bans?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2018, 08:04:30 PM »

I'll give the obligatory well wishes for her and her family, but I can't find much sympathy for such an overprivileged, disconnected elitist woman.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2018, 08:06:36 PM »

No Trump supporter has any right to extend any sympathy to her or her family after the crap your current leader (who you’ll dump as soon as it’s convenient, just like you did with Dubya) threw at the Bush family.

The Bush’s are saints compared to Trump and his family. They’re saints compared to you and everyone else who still supports this man.

Pretty sure the hundreds of thousands dead across the Middle East as a direct or indirect consequence of George W. Bush's wars would disagree...
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2018, 08:18:53 PM »

I don't think you will find too many people on the left who think W was an overtly good president. He doesn't seem quite as bad as he did around 2007-2008, mostly because of the ethnic nationalist turn the Republican party has since taken under Trump, but he still seems pretty awful.

Democrats today commonly express positive views of GWB because he is useful to them. Since Trump is currently the enemy, complimenting Bush bears no political consequences as he's not running for anything. It is useful for them to build a facade of bipartisan credibility, so GWB is a convenient prop. It also helps them find another angle to criticize Trump from since it doesn't matter much what direction Trump is criticized from as long as he's criticized. That's all. Politicos do that sort of thing all the time. Republicans did this with Hillary/Obama once upon a time too. Only a fool (which incidentally does include most of the GOP establishment Tongue) takes such compliments as genuine.

If you are talking about the elder Bush -- then you are talking about the source of the sane foreign policy that Bill Clinton maintained and Barack Obama restored.  The younger Bush at the least left no question of where his loyalty lay and did not have a sleazy personal life.  Gonald Trump is simply horrible. 

I left it sort of vague to encompass the Bush family in general, but yes, of course there are differences. Also, I'm not really saying you're one of the people who do this. It is possible to be an honest partisan as well.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2018, 08:48:49 PM »

Sad. If the Bushes released a statement that means she probably isn't well at all. This will be hard if father and son have to bury her.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2018, 09:09:08 PM »

My prayers are with her and the entire Bush family.

This. It doesn't matter if I agree with her or even if I dislike her or not. Death is a terrifying and difficult thing that we all must face. I wish her and her family peace during this trying time.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2018, 09:09:38 PM »

How unfortunate. Sad
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2018, 10:43:51 PM »

Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2018, 10:48:36 PM »

My prayers are with her. She's one of my favorite First Ladies... I hope she has peace and tranquility.
Joey1996

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 11:10:56 PM »

Those elder Bushes are immortal
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2018, 01:02:11 AM »

I hate to say it, but once she goes I doubt Bush 41 lasts much longer without her
Agreed, sadly.

I agree with this as well. I think Mrs. Bush is going home to live her remaining days with family and friends. She's chosen to die in peace as she wants and that's something we should all respect. I think announcing news like this is getting us prepped for her passing, which isn't far away. HW won't be far behind her and I think that will be a mercy for him. I would wish them all the best, but I think this is about the end, to be honest. I do wish them peace, comfort, and strength.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2018, 05:11:01 AM »

My prayers are with her and the entire Bush family.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2018, 06:59:24 AM »

Agreed, sadly.

I agree with this as well. I think Mrs. Bush is going home to live her remaining days with family and friends. She's chosen to die in peace as she wants and that's something we should all respect. I think announcing news like this is getting us prepped for her passing, which isn't far away. HW won't be far behind her and I think that will be a mercy for him. I would wish them all the best, but I think this is about the end, to be honest. I do wish them peace, comfort, and strength.

This. After she goes, which I predict happens within the next two weeks, that 41 has, at most, a year left, and that's being generous.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2018, 07:49:38 AM »

Agreed, sadly.

This. After she goes, which I predict happens within the next two weeks, that 41 has, at most, a year left, and that's being generous.

Very generous. I don't think HW will make it to 94 if Barbara dies soon. They're just one of those couples that will basically die together.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2018, 12:20:20 PM »

I mean, Bush 41 has Parkinson's (and dementia?) and has himself been hospitalized multiple times in recent years, and his older brother (by two years) died in 2010, while his youngest brother (by 14 years) also recently died.

Between all of that and Barbara’s condition now, 93-year old Bush 41 almost certainly won’t last much longer at all. They’ve been together since WWII (Dubya was born in 1946), so consider that...
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2018, 05:28:02 PM »

PS: Whatever you think of Barbara and George HW Bush, I can't imagine living the lives they've lived, and what they've experienced and done - for better and/or worse.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2018, 06:50:11 PM »

Agreed, sadly.

Much like it was doubted that Richard Nixon would make it a year after Pat passed, so too do I doubt George HW Bush will be with us this time next year. Very sad for their family.
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2018, 07:01:34 PM »

"Almost everyone I’ve talked to says, ‘We’re going to move to Houston.’ What I’m hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them."

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2018, 04:40:14 AM »

PS: Whatever you think of Barbara and George HW Bush, I can't imagine living the lives they've lived, and what they've experienced and done - for better and/or worse.

I've often jokingly/seriously said, "If anyone really knows about aliens landing at Roswell...it's probably George H.W. Bush."
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies