1976 Democrat or Republican Televised Presidential Debates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:35:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976 Democrat or Republican Televised Presidential Debates
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976 Democrat or Republican Televised Presidential Debates  (Read 1549 times)
ReaganLimbaugh
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2018, 10:31:42 PM »

Old Timers.....with youtube I have seen a lot of great debates I missed (especially 1984 & 1988) in my pre political days.  Can anyone remember 1976 Democrat or Republican Televised Presidential Debates?

Video is probably gone forever....but if these actually occurred, any impressions would be appreciated.

All the best.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 08:19:34 PM »

According to Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball, there were 3 debates in February, March, and May 1976--involving many of the major candidates (Carter, Udall, Jackson). 

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/eight-decades-of-debate/
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 09:31:36 PM »

That is a really cool link.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 08:56:06 AM »

Old Timers.....with youtube I have seen a lot of great debates I missed (especially 1984 & 1988) in my pre political days.  Can anyone remember 1976 Democrat or Republican Televised Presidential Debates?

Video is probably gone forever....but if these actually occurred, any impressions would be appreciated.

All the best.

To my knowledge, there was no debate between Reagan and Ford.

I don't know of any on the Democratic side, either, but I can imagine there were a few featuring minor candidates.

Yup, there was none between the GOPers in '76. I think that may have hurt Ford because Reagan was more charismatic. In 1980, there were a couple of them, including Reagan's legendary moment "Mr. Breen, I am paying for this microphone"
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 02:34:11 PM »

All the best.

To my knowledge, there was no debate between Reagan and Ford.

I don't know of any on the Democratic side, either, but I can imagine there were a few featuring minor candidates.

Yup, there was none between the GOPers in '76. I think that may have hurt Ford because Reagan was more charismatic. In 1980, there were a couple of them, including Reagan's legendary moment "Mr. Breen, I am paying for this microphone"

Well I would say the Debates helped HW as well.

Without the Debates, Reagan probably wins Iowa and sweeps the primaries since he was the only well known Republican (maybe with exception of Dole) running in 1980 and he was the odds on favorite to be the nominee throughout 1979.

Thanks to the debate : HW and not Dole became Reagan's main opponent and due to being the runner-up in the primaries became the VP.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 04:05:34 PM »

So is this the earliest presidential primary debate that's viewable online?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygGL9DGeSGM
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 06:31:47 PM »

Tangentially related; the 1988 primary debates were actually extremely entertaining.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies