Opinion of the Amish
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:15:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of the Amish
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: skip
positive

negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Opinion of the Amish  (Read 4506 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2018, 04:43:41 PM »

Definitely positive, although I don't agree with their theology.
Not a Partisan Hack ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not a Partisan Thug
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 05:39:27 PM »

The Amish? They’re the religious laughing stock of the eastern half of the  United States.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 06:56:17 PM »

I would say they are pretty harmless. They are generally hardworking and decent folks. They of course have views on certain issues that are literally medieval, but seeing as how they keep to themselves this generally isn’t an issue for non Amish. They do sometimes draw the ire of farmers because hey pool their money so that basically any land that is for sale near current amish land will become Amish.
Mr. Bullocks
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 10:27:48 PM »

We should adopt their community work effort.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:53:42 PM »

Amish Paradise is a FF song, that's all I can really say about the Amish.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 09:32:42 AM »

Definitely positive, although I don't agree with their theology.
Clarification I do agree with 99.9% of their theology, meaning 99.9% = pacifism, = taking the 5th (or 6th or 7th) commandment literally. The Bible should be re-written so that "THOU SHALT NOT KILL no exceptions" is the first commandment.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 01:20:11 PM »

There is a very large Amish community west of us ... anyone who has a negative opinion of the Amish is a miserable HP.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 04:32:11 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2018, 06:12:11 AM by Torie »

My one reservation about the Amish is that they under-educate their children to the point that they really don't have the option of leaving the community. They go to one room school houses, with a young woman (always young women) as the teacher, and at the eight grade, leave to do "work- study," with that being mostly work at the family business or farm, and very little study. When at 17, the kids can experiment living in the outside world, and running around as "normal" teenagers for a year, they find that they just don't fit in at all, given their poor education, insular life, strange accent, etc. So in a way, I find that a form of child abuse, that the state allows to occur.

I learned all of this by taking participating in a tour group in Lancaster County, PA, where we met actual Amish families, and could have a conversation back and forth, with the guide very knowledgeable about Amish life, and rules, and practices.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 05:03:24 PM »

For a second I read this as "Opinion of the Amash".
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 01:07:19 AM »

I consider them very admirable people, even if I don't agree with some of their views. I can definitely see the merits of their lifestyle.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 01:10:59 AM »

I think their pacifism and charity are very admirable. They are great representatives for the Christian religion (unlike some of our "Evangelicals.") That being said, I do see where Torie is coming from as well.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »

I consider them very admirable people, even if I don't agree with some of their views. I can definitely see the merits of their lifestyle.

This, although I could never live as one.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 04:03:37 PM »

We could learn a lot from them.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 10:14:01 AM »

I would say they are pretty harmless. They are generally hardworking and decent folks. They of course have views on certain issues that are literally medieval, but seeing as how they keep to themselves this generally isn’t an issue for non Amish.

This, though I also can see the merits of Torie's argument re: Amish children.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 06:39:10 PM »

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 07:35:36 PM »

Probably vaguely negative in principle, or at least sufficiently negative of disallowing their children to receive modern educations that it outweighs other positive attributes like pacifism. The last time large numbers of Amish were actually exposed to modern society (during the WW2 conscription era) was also the last time there was a large exodus away from their lifestyle, which suggests to me very strongly that it's not all it's cranked up to be. You don't see people switching in the other direction.

Interesting that I seem to be the first person who admitted to a negative opinion even though it's a large fraction of the poll.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 11:48:02 PM »

BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 10:33:48 AM »

Disgusted with their pacifism, and also disdain their lifestyle.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 10:38:37 PM »

Probably vaguely negative in principle, or at least sufficiently negative of disallowing their children to receive modern educations that it outweighs other positive attributes like pacifism. The last time large numbers of Amish were actually exposed to modern society (during the WW2 conscription era) was also the last time there was a large exodus away from their lifestyle, which suggests to me very strongly that it's not all it's cranked up to be. You don't see people switching in the other direction.

But some try. It's true that, even over a period of decades, only a few dozen former outsiders have been accepted as members. But that's not for lack of interest.

I remember reading an article not long ago. It was about an online forum devoted to people who wanted to become Amish. That's an easy sentence to laugh at, but it's illustrative. For Amish moving out of their communities, the transition to a different way of life is difficult, but there are institutions and programs to help them, and it's not as if they would be accepted back anyway.

For anyone attempting the opposite, there isn't anything to help them, and the Amish have no responsibility to oblige confused cultural tourists. You don't see equal movement in both directions because it's a lot harder to move one way than the other. It doesn't say anything about which way of life is preferable.

As for children, the chief function of "modern education" is to reproduce the mix of bad habits, poor socialization, and insatiable material demands that make our world go round, so the Amish can hardly be faulted with opting out. Even with only an eighth-grade education, they are less likely to be functionally illiterate or innumerate than a typical high school graduate in the United States.

The other main issue about becoming Amish is the language barrier.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 10:12:43 PM »

Disgusted with their pacifism, and also disdain their lifestyle.

Boo
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2018, 07:04:24 AM »

But some try. It's true that, even over a period of decades, only a few dozen former outsiders have been accepted as members. But that's not for lack of interest.

I remember reading an article not long ago. It was about an online forum devoted to people who wanted to become Amish. That's an easy sentence to laugh at, but it's illustrative. For Amish moving out of their communities, the transition to a different way of life is difficult, but there are institutions and programs to help them, and it's not as if they would be accepted back anyway.

For anyone attempting the opposite, there isn't anything to help them, and the Amish have no responsibility to oblige confused cultural tourists. You don't see equal movement in both directions because it's a lot harder to move one way than the other. It doesn't say anything about which way of life is preferable.

As for children, the chief function of "modern education" is to reproduce the mix of bad habits, poor socialization, and insatiable material demands that make our world go round, so the Amish can hardly be faulted with opting out. Even with only an eighth-grade education, they are less likely to be functionally illiterate or innumerate than a typical high school graduate in the United States.

You know, it isn't too often that I agree with a Green Party supporter.  Well done.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2018, 07:05:51 AM »

I have no use for pacifism.  None whatsoever.  And when I go to the library, there invariably are a couple of Amish, and they party like it's 1874.  It's so weird.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 11:45:12 AM »

Agreed
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 07:31:10 AM »

When i drove around rural Ohio, Pennsylvania and the Finger Lake region of NY, i was quite taken aback by the Amish and Menonites (?) that we met.

Lovely people. Really blessed to have had some friendly experiences with them.

I was devastated to learn of a shooting involving an Amish community a coupke of years later.

Really interesting people.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 12:10:02 PM »

Don't know really enough to form an opinion. From what I've heard, they're nice to pretty much anyone they come across. I have nothing against them choosing to live without modern technology, though I do have a problem with how they treat members who were born into their tradition and choose to leave it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies