Opinion of the Amish (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:32:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of the Amish (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: skip
positive

negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Opinion of the Amish  (Read 4532 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: April 18, 2018, 04:32:11 PM »
« edited: April 19, 2018, 06:12:11 AM by Torie »

My one reservation about the Amish is that they under-educate their children to the point that they really don't have the option of leaving the community. They go to one room school houses, with a young woman (always young women) as the teacher, and at the eight grade, leave to do "work- study," with that being mostly work at the family business or farm, and very little study. When at 17, the kids can experiment living in the outside world, and running around as "normal" teenagers for a year, they find that they just don't fit in at all, given their poor education, insular life, strange accent, etc. So in a way, I find that a form of child abuse, that the state allows to occur.

I learned all of this by taking participating in a tour group in Lancaster County, PA, where we met actual Amish families, and could have a conversation back and forth, with the guide very knowledgeable about Amish life, and rules, and practices.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies