How would the electoral college be if the 435 representative rule never happened (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  How would the electoral college be if the 435 representative rule never happened (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would the electoral college be if the 435 representative rule never happened  (Read 21363 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« on: May 08, 2018, 09:22:28 AM »

The increase in the size of the House in decades before 1920 was driven by political considerations, not merely population increase. The best approximation to the politics going forward from 1920 would be to set the total number of reps at each apportionment to the minimum number such that no state loses seats in the coming decade.

I ran an analysis to see what would have happened if this rule (actually the version where you said a state could only lose representation if it lost population, and otherwise no state that gained population could lose representation) had been in place from the founding of the country. It was interesting. I haven't really grappled with what it would have meant for the electoral college results (but I'm sure it would be like you've detailed here), but we'd have 4,473 representatives today, with no state having fewer than 8 representatives.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies