Opinion of Supply-Side Economics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:32:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Supply-Side Economics
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF(R)

HP(R)

HP(D)

FF(I/O)

HP(I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Opinion of Supply-Side Economics  (Read 1086 times)
UlmerFudd
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2018, 07:36:36 PM »

FF.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 07:49:48 PM »

FF of course

But this question could also be phrased as are you are Republican or a Democrat
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:55:01 PM »

A scam theory designed by the rich so they could get even richer at the expense of everyone else.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 08:00:01 PM »

FF on the whole, though I think economic policy (especially tax cuts) should be aimed at stimulating both ends of the economic spectrum, with lower and middle class tax cuts spurring demand/consumer spending and upper-end tax cuts spurring  increased savings and investment.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 08:13:16 PM »

Keynesian here, so more on the HP end. That said, supply side may be more effective in certain sectors of the economy.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 11:36:24 PM »

Good and important as a general principle.  The problem comes with the way it has been used to make all sorts of promises as a justification for irresponsible policies.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 05:41:50 PM »

Biggest elitist policy ever in the history of economics.  E-L-I-T-I-S-T.

That's right.  Bill Gates' billions will magically trickle down into your hands.  You get 6 cents.  Now with some harder work, you can almost afford that box of tissues you've been eyeing at Dollar Depot.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 06:10:46 PM »

I don't believe in it. I think the focus should be on tax relief for the poorest among us, not for upper middle class and the super wealthy.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 06:23:56 PM »

A scam theory designed by the rich so they could get even richer at the expense of everyone else.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »

Bad.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 08:33:14 PM »

Terrible
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 12:33:05 PM »

FF of course

not really.i've met a lot of young republicans and trump voters that didn't agree with the 2017 tax bill
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 01:09:10 PM »

FF of course

not really.i've met a lot of young republicans and trump voters that didn't agree with the 2017 tax bill

And I haven’t.  Anyone else got some anecdotal evidence?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 01:26:17 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2018, 01:30:24 PM by oreomilkshake »

FF of course

And I haven’t.  Anyone else got some anecdotal evidence?

well, ok it is anecdotal.but polling in 2015 and 2017 seemed to point towards opinion being more mixed on taxes than in the past

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/11/gop-tax-bill-unpopular/546668/
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/tax-bill-2017/card/1512504640

even a lot of republicans had issues with corporate taxes in this country in particular

You must be logged in to read this quote.

though obviously a majority of republicans were in favor and those voters probably want tax cuts in other areas
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 09:04:46 PM »

Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 09:38:47 AM »

FF of course

I'm one of those young Republicans who was against the tax bill.

At anyrate my opinion on supply side economics: I think if taxes are too high and or if the government's coffers are in good shape, I think tax cuts are a good thing; but the problem is the modern GOP is too obsessed with them and are no longer pragmatic like say Bush Sr was; the US government is over $20 trillion in debt, which probably isn't far from 100% of the country's GDP, the last thing we needed was to increase the debt even more, what we need now is to balance the budget. So I'd say in its current form HP.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 10:17:31 AM »

FF of course

At anyrate my opinion on supply side economics: I think if taxes are too high and or if the government's coffers are in good shape, I think tax cuts are a good thing; but the problem is the modern GOP is too obsessed with them and are no longer pragmatic like say Bush Sr was; the US government is over $20 trillion in debt, which probably isn't far from 100% of the country's GDP, the last thing we needed was to increase the debt even more, what we need now is to balance the budget. So I'd say in its current form HP.

You also openly identify as a conservative Democrat. Smiley
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 01:08:23 PM »

FF of course

True enough, I'm one at heart but in practice I vote Republican
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 01:18:00 PM »

FF of course

Ironically in the 1980s Conservative Democrats helped Reagan with most on economic policy(Without those Democrats Reaganomics never goes into affect) .

courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 02:32:28 PM »

FF of course

Ironically in the 1980s Conservative Democrats helped Reagan with most on economic policy(Without those Democrats Reaganomics never goes into affect) .

well circumstances were pretty radically different in some ways...i wouldn't really fault someone too much for voting for reducing the top rate in 1980.i think reasonable people can disagree there
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 02:34:38 PM »

FF of course

well circumstances were pretty radically different in some ways...i wouldn't really fault someone too much for voting for reducing the top rate in 1980.i think reasonable people can disagree there

That was my point. I would have supported those tax cuts but not the current ones. As you said, it's a question of circumstances.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »

FF of course

I think you'd get a different figure for support depending on if you polled registered Republicans, Trump voters, Republican partisans, etc.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 03:34:05 PM »

FF of course

I think you'd get a different figure for support depending on if you polled registered Republicans, Trump voters, Republican partisans, etc.
yeah or how it was framed. i mean to be fair i'm sure corporate tax cuts and tax breaks poll less positively than other kinds.like personal income tax cuts..even if the consensus here (and perhaps among economists in general) is largely the opposite of that
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies