Last time a Democrat won the white vote in a state/county while still losing it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:57:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Last time a Democrat won the white vote in a state/county while still losing it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Last time a Democrat won the white vote in a state/county while still losing it?  (Read 5161 times)
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2018, 09:47:48 PM »

When was the last time that a Democratic candidate for statewide office won the white vote in a county or state but still lost the overall vote?
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 11:39:39 PM »

When was the last time that a Democratic candidate for statewide office won the white vote in a county or state but still lost the overall vote?
My guess would be Miami-Dade County in the 2004 Florida Senate race.
When do you think the last time that this happened in a Presidential election was?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 11:21:24 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2018, 11:27:37 AM by GMantis »

I think it would be Maryland in 1908 which the Republicans won by barely 0.25%, at a time when many blacks voted in Maryland and did so for the Republicans.

Later possibilities, which are less likely, would be Indiana in 1916 and New York in 1928.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 11:27:56 AM »

When do you think the last time that this happened in a Presidential election was?

In Miami-Dade in the 1980s, the Cuban precincts were going for the Republicans by 6:1 margins, so maybe it happened then. Not sure though.

Otherwise, I think you'd have to go back to 1932 to have any certainty.

It probably happened somewhere in 1956.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »

In Miami-Dade in the 1980s, the Cuban precincts were going for the Republicans by 6:1 margins, so maybe it happened then. Not sure though.

Yeah, Miami-Dade was going for Republicans by large margins in the 80's so I doubt that Carter, Mondale, or Dukakis won whites there.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 11:30:04 AM »

I think it would be Maryland in 1908 which the Republicans won by barely 0.25%, at a time when many blacks voted in Maryland and did so for the Republicans.

Later possibilities, which are less likely, would be Indiana in 1916 and New York in 1928.
It almost certainly happened somewhere in 1932 since Hoover still won the black vote pretty overwhelmingly.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 12:57:06 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2018, 01:00:55 PM by GMantis »

It almost certainly happened somewhere in 1932 since Hoover still won the black vote pretty overwhelmingly.
It could have happened in only two states: Connecticut and Delaware. Both are unlikely, the former because they weren't that many blacks and the later because black turnout was likely much lower than the white one.

By 1956 the great majority of blacks were voting for the Democrats.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 01:58:32 PM »

It could have happened in only two states: Connecticut and Delaware. Both are unlikely, the former because they weren't that many blacks and the later because black turnout was likely much lower than the white one.

With regards to 1932, I imagine that on the county level there must have been at least a small number of counties where FDR won the white vote but Hoover still won due to blacks. I imagine these would all be in the Northeast or maybe out west.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 03:55:03 PM »

With regards to 1932, I imagine that on the county level there must have been at least a small number of counties where FDR won the white vote but Hoover still won due to blacks. I imagine these would all be in the Northeast or maybe out west.
Almost certainly there are such counties. I've checked only the two northern states with the highest black population (New Jersey and Ohio) and there are two very likely counties. Atlantic county, NJ which had 15% black population was won by Hoover by 9% and Greene, OH which had 9% black population and was won by Hoover by 4%.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 09:48:57 AM »

Tennessee in 1956 is a possible statewide contender, but I'm at minimum skeptical.

Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, there's a small sampling's worth of evidence throughout pockets of the Deep South that some black communities were still supporting Republicans over Democrats, but this was almost exclusively in some of the blackest counties in the country where sheer numbers allowed for a non-negligible number of black voters to break into the political process pre-VRA. During the 1956 election, the best example is Alabama's Black Belt (specifically Macon County; the electorate was already majority-black there before the 1964 election; so much so that the black civic orgs in the county were effectively threatening white Democrats in 1964 by saying in effect "either you support our candidates now, or we're about to nuke your representation entirely in the coming years"). 

I'm also not sure if Tennessee would be Southern enough for these examples to apply in the same sense, as cultural differences from region to region could have a huge impact.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »

Tennessee in 1956 is a possible statewide contender, but I'm at minimum skeptical.

Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, there's a small sampling's worth of evidence throughout pockets of the Deep South that some black communities were still supporting Republicans over Democrats, but this was almost exclusively in some of the blackest counties in the country where sheer numbers allowed for a non-negligible number of black voters to break into the political process pre-VRA. During the 1956 election, the best example is Alabama's Black Belt (specifically Macon County; the electorate was already majority-black there before the 1964 election; so much so that the black civic orgs in the county were effectively threatening white Democrats in 1964 by saying in effect "either you support our candidates now, or we're about to nuke your representation entirely in the coming years"). 

I'm also not sure if Tennessee would be Southern enough for these examples to apply in the same sense, as cultural differences from region to region could have a huge impact.
Was voter suppression really so much less of a thing in Tennessee in 1956 than it was in other Southern States?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 12:17:30 PM »

Was voter suppression really so much less of a thing in Tennessee in 1956 than it was in other Southern States?
Voter suppression varied from state to state. It was far worse in South Carolina and Mississipi than it was in Alabama.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 01:31:14 PM »

Voter suppression varied from state to state. It was far worse in South Carolina and Mississipi than it was in Alabama.
So were there enough black voters in TN in '56 for Eisenhower to have narrowly won it while losing the white vote?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 01:32:15 PM »

Does FL-SEN 2004 count?
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 01:34:36 PM »

Absolutely, any statewide race counts whether it's Senate, Gubernatorial, Attorney General, Presidential, etc.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 03:19:46 PM »

So were there enough black voters in TN in '56 for Eisenhower to have narrowly won it while losing the white vote?

I'd guess not, plus you have the ancestrally Republican areas in East Tennessee (which were also, to my knowledge, heavily White) to provide a high floor for White support.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 08:05:06 PM »

It would take relatively few black voters to tip the scales in a race that close. Something like:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 10:51:17 PM »

How about New Mexico in 1924?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 04:13:19 PM »

Possibly Duval County, FL in 1956, which voted 49.83% Stevenson / 50.17% Eisenhower. Given its location in northern FL, I'm guessing most of its Blacks, even if only a few voted, voted Eisenhower.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »

Maryland 1924?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies