Right to Work map in 2025
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:00:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Right to Work map in 2025
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Right to Work map in 2025  (Read 5336 times)
PoliticalShelter
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2018, 12:47:13 PM »

Inspired from this previous thread:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=204148.50

What do you think the Right to work Map will look in 2025?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 02:20:15 PM »

Probably 40+ states, except for a few that have Dem trifectas continuously.  I suspect that whatever policy changes result (job guarantee, UBI, trade restrictions, minimum wage hikes, etc.)  from the current wave of "pro-worker" activism will make the closed shop concept pretty obsolete.   To the extent these changes get some buy-in from the Trumpy segment of the GOP, I would expect RTW to be part of the price of passing them.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 02:29:04 PM »

I can set he map looking a bit like this:

Although a lot depends on how well the Democrats do in the Midwest over the next few cycles.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 06:27:23 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2018, 01:45:21 PM by PragPop »

For the record, the current RTW map looks like this:

Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Hampshire have had R trifectas in recent years, and RTW has not passed. I don't think those will get it anytime soon, whether they have R trifectas or not.

By 2025, here's my best guess about what it'll look like:
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 09:14:35 PM »

Right to work is on the referendum in Missouri this year. Voters will probably block it.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 03:02:39 PM »

It’s only gonna get worse under a President Harris or Booker.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 03:17:59 PM »

And better under anyone else? Lmao.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 09:19:07 PM »

I don't like either of them, but this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The worst thing that they would do is do absolutely nothing to stop it. They are not going to sign a national right to work law.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 05:07:30 PM »

If the GOP has its way, the American worker will become the American slave in 10 years.

What a stupid comment.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »

If the GOP has its way, the American worker will become the American slave in 10 years.

What a stupid 100% true comment.

I actually laughed as I read your comment.  You have to be trolling.  You can't be serious. 
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 12:12:00 PM »

I actually laughed as I read your comment.  You have to be trolling.  You can't be serious. 

Well, I'll say this. The Koch Brothers want to gut the social safety net, and the GOP does their bidding.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 12:14:19 PM »

Well, I'll say this. The Koch Brothers want to gut the social safety net, and the GOP does their bidding.

I don't really believe in conspiracy theories. 
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 12:24:58 PM »

The GOP objectively does want to kill the safety net. If Bush had gotten his way with Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid would have been next.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 12:34:34 PM »

The GOP objectively does want to kill the safety net. If Bush had gotten his way with Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid would have been next.

There definitely do need to be some changes, and the Democrats right now don't want to do anything.  If anything, they want to make it worse. 
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 05:50:39 PM »

Most Democrats don't support a national right-to-work law. No Democratic President would sign one.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 11:03:08 AM »

There definitely do need to be some changes, and the Democrats right now don't want to do anything.  If anything, they want to make it worse. 

They will probably try again if they do well in 18 and 20.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 02:28:18 PM »

They will probably try again if they do well in 18 and 20.

But will they improve it, or will they continue making it worse?
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 04:35:41 PM »

What do you define as "Improvement" here?
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 06:29:16 PM »

Welfare shouldn't go to people who don't work even though they have no problem preventing them from working.  And I don't mean that unemployed people don't deserve welfare.  They do.  I'm just saying that they ought to be looking for a job, and if they aren't, then they don't get welfare.  As you can see from my profile, I'm not some Tea Party Ted Cruz Republican, so don't accuse me of that. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 06:29:48 PM »

I was trying to say is that if Republicans stay a majority in 2018 and consolidate their majority in 2020, they will probably try to re-repeal Obamacare and also tack on a partial cancellation of the Medicaid and Medicare. If they feel that they have a "locked in" electorate, they might even do what Bush tried to do in 2005 and simply have the choice of having a mandatory savings contribution instead of participating in Social Security taxes and benefits.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 07:48:22 PM »

Welfare shouldn't go to people who don't work even though they have no problem preventing them from working.  And I don't mean that unemployed people don't deserve welfare.  They do.  I'm just saying that they ought to be looking for a job, and if they aren't, then they don't get welfare.  As you can see from my profile, I'm not some Tea Party Ted Cruz Republican, so don't accuse me of that. 
the problem is more the amount of people that have jobs but still need food stamps or something these days
Kevinstat

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 09:27:40 PM »

I don't like either of them, but this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The worst thing that they would do is do absolutely nothing to stop it. They are not going to sign a national right to work law.
Maybe BernieBro's saying there would be a really bad midterm for Dems if either of them were President that resulted in pro-RTW trifectas in more states.  Only 22 states were "Right to Work" states at the start of the Obama administration, while 26 states were at the end and two more states passed and the Governor signed "Right to Work" laws in the following year.  It's currently postponed in Missouri pending a voter-forced referendum (but there a "Yes" vote will be in favor of the bill being challenged, like in California but unlike in Maine) that will be held probably in November of this year.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 12:33:55 AM »

Maybe BernieBro's saying there would be a really bad midterm for Dems if either of them were President that resulted in pro-RTW trifectas in more states.  Only 22 states were "Right to Work" states at the start of the Obama administration, while 26 states were at the end and two more states passed and the Governor signed "Right to Work" laws in the following year.  It's currently postponed in Missouri pending a voter-forced referendum (but there a "Yes" vote will be in favor of the bill being challenged, like in California but unlike in Maine) that will be held probably in November of this year.
But implying that pro-RTW trifectas would be less likely under another Democratic President doesn't make sense. A midterm might go just as poorly.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 08:43:45 AM »

Other unlikely scenarios are that Taft Hartley is repealed or SCOTUS finds a constitutional "right to work" based on substantive due process in protected private property the way Lochner was decided.
Kevinstat

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 08:24:43 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2018, 08:32:26 PM by Kevinstat »

Maybe BernieBro's saying there would be a really bad midterm for Dems if either of them were President that resulted in pro-RTW trifectas in more states.  Only 22 states were "Right to Work" states at the start of the Obama administration, while 26 states were at the end and two more states passed and the Governor signed "Right to Work" laws in the following year.  It's currently postponed in Missouri pending a voter-forced referendum (but there a "Yes" vote will be in favor of the bill being challenged, like in California but unlike in Maine) that will be held probably in November of this year.
But implying that pro-RTW trifectas would be less likely under another Democratic President doesn't make sense. A midterm might go just as poorly.
I'm saying pro-RTW trifectas might be more likely under a Democratic President if that President is very unpopular at the time of a biennial election.  I thought that might have been what BernieBro was getting at.  I assumed he meant "worse" as in "more 'Right to Work' states" (I mean, with a username like "BernieBro", I just assumed).  I agree that's not necessarily the case.  2002 was pretty good for Republicans, but it was nothing like 2010 (or 2014).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies