Lumine/Siren: A Civic-Minded Atlasia (Concession)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:28:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Lumine/Siren: A Civic-Minded Atlasia (Concession)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Lumine/Siren: A Civic-Minded Atlasia (Concession)  (Read 10258 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 09:32:36 PM »

Have to say that's a great VP pick, and again very surprising. Regardless of my feelings about which top of the ticket is the best, Siren will make an excellent Vice-President!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 09:46:44 PM »

Have to say that's a great VP pick, and again very surprising. Regardless of my feelings about which top of the ticket is the best, Siren will make an excellent Vice-President!
This. Lumine, you are an odd fellow, but I must say, you pick a good running mate.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 10:26:31 PM »

With all due respect to Siren: Why?

Some people look at the negative and at the past and ask WHY?

I look at the positive and at the future and ask WHY Not?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 11:26:51 PM »

First of all, my sincere thanks to those who have endorsed us or offered positive comments, it is much appreciated!

Holding off my endorsement just yet, but if Siren can use her Peace credentials to curb your hawkishness, I could see myself voting for you after a series of write-ins.

Thank you to you both, and I very much appreciate your frankness. Hopefully the developments in the campaign will convince you of the merits of this ticket!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 11:30:44 PM »

Well, that certainly moves this ticket toward the top preference for me.  I'm not endorsing anyone until later in the campaign season, but you made a great pick, Mr. PPT. Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2018, 11:41:41 PM »

On Discord Nonsense:

It was brought to my attention shortly ago that even though the campaign is not even two days ago the negative campaiging had already started on Discord and elsewhere, and to me it seems very disappointing that we can't even start this contest without mudslinging becoming part of the picture. DFW has approached me with an apology for his attacks which I've accepted (and recognize him for doing the mature thing), and so while this particular matter should be put to rest, its implications are is part of what concerns me with Atlasia in these days.

Atlasia will always have private messaging as a part of the game, and much player interaction can happen there as well (I myself use mibbit when it's really necessary), but I'm increasingly concerned not only of how large a role Discord is starting to have, but how it seems so suitable for the sort of mudslinging, personal attacks and general behavior which makes the game far more toxic than it should be. Not being on Discord - and not planning to be there anytime soon - I prefer to count myself out of that.

So this is a good time as any to express my intention to keep the matters, governance and handling of a Lumine/Siren Administration inside the forum rather than on the outside for the sake of standards such as transparency, and visibility of the White House and its work. Whilist I have my differences and criticisms towards my main opponents, I'll do my best to be direct in them and avoid a campaign that is run excessively behind the scenes or outside the forum.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2018, 11:42:11 PM »

Well, that certainly moves this ticket toward the top preference for me.  I'm not endorsing anyone until later in the campaign season, but you made a great pick, Mr. PPT. Smiley

Thank you, Scott! It would be wonderful to have your support once you make your decision.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 12:02:01 AM »

I actually quite agree with the statement on Discord, and (mostly for other reasons but this just underlines it Tongue) will endorse this ticket for second preference.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 12:11:17 AM »

Yankee has my endorsement, but this is a great ticket.  Best of luck!
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 06:26:01 AM »

Endorsed.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »

With all due respect to Siren: Why?

Also:  Obviously Endorsed for First Preference!!
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 12:37:19 PM »

Proudly endorsed, my friend!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 01:16:03 PM »

Knowing Lumine as a fair, even-handed Moderator and Siren as a great friend who I share a lot of beliefs and other interests with, I think this well-rounded ticket would be a huge benefit to Atlasia.

Fully 100% unambiguously endorsed!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »

I could also support this ticket if Lumine pledges to resign on day one. Tongue
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 03:33:51 PM »

Thank you to everyone's warm wishes so far. That said, Lumine and I are a package deal. Win or lose, we do it together.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2018, 08:28:19 AM »

Endorsed!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2018, 01:04:05 AM »

Thank you all for the support! It's really much appreciated, and a very encouraging start to this campaign.

A series of policy speeches will be coming over the next days as well, so stay tuned!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2018, 06:13:14 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2018, 06:35:01 PM by Princeps Senatus Lumine »

Cabinet/Game Reform:
The ticket for change

Policy Speech:
New York City, NY (May 1st)

My fellow Atlasians,

What a pleasure is to be touring Lincoln today, and speaking to voters about the fundamental need for  change in Atlasia in the upcoming June Election. Our country finds itself once again at the crossroads in choosing the sort of nation we want to strive towards for the next four months, and now more than ever we need a team in the White House which, while respectful of institutions which continue to serve the people with a clear purpose, must come into office with a reformist mindset to fix what doesn't work, and improve what could work better.

And today I want to talk to you briefly about both innovations which this ticket promotes for the White House as well as some general ideas on Game Reform, along with a clear explanation of the principles that will guide myself and Siren as President and Vice-President should we be granted the honor of being elected by the people. So what does this ticket have to say?

A Reformist Mindset:

Ever since we were new to the game, Siren and myself have believed in the importance of improving the game for the sake of the players and their experience of the game, as well as improving and reforming constitutional mechanisms to be more efficient, more transparent or to offer a different perspective in a spirit of innovation. Now more than ever, we continue to believe any constitutional document and any framework can always be improved to better serve the people, just as long as it is done responsibly.

That is why when we see a cause that is worthy, that can improve the game and prevent stagnation, we're likely to be there defending it or encouraging a serious debate to be had. A Lumine/Siren Administration, therefore, will not have to be dragged kicking and screaming to accept reform when it becomes inevitable, it will be at the forefront of proposing reforms, of encouraging debate, of promoting better ethical standards, of ensuring Atlasia does not continue to stagnate or carry on through managed decline as it has done at some moments in the past.

A New, Flexible Cabinet:

There is always new ground to explore in Atlasia, and curiously enough the Executive branch is an area og government which hasn't been explored as much as it should in the past months. It is the resolve of this ticket to bring a more dynamic spirit into the White House, experimenting with a different cabinet to move away from the old model of a Sec. of State and Sec. of the Interior. While positions such as Attorney General, or Game Moderator or RG/SoFE continue to serve a clear purpose in our mind, we feel the time is right to experiment by setting different departments depending on how many people apply for the cabinet.

I can announce right off the bat that a Vice-President Siren will be entrusted with serious policy responsibilities in the Cabinet, heading her own Department which at this early stage we could describe as one of "Innovation" or "Game Renewal", handling responsibilities such as Environmental policy and particularly Game Outreach, making use of Siren's talent and empathy to welcome new people into Atlasia and help new players find their place beyond the usual strategic recruitment.

It is also my intention to have a small group of ministers to handle domestic policy and limited aspects of foreign policy, as always depending on whether there is interest in players to fill those positions actively and responsibly. I can outline in advance, for example, that I will probably be looking for a Secretary for Social Mobility, someone entrusted with tackling poverty in this country (along with other issues associated with social mobility and the middle class) by making use of executive power and implementing policy as well. I have also given thought to positions such as a Director for National Intelligence or a Secretary to administer public services such as Education or Health.

And, of course, in order to stimulate activity and not overload either Siren or myself (as both plan to take on significant responsibilities), we will also entertain the idea of reviving the concept of a Chief of Staff which could very well serve as an enforcer for activity in this new, experimental Cabinet.

Talent, Transparency and Diversity:

Someone which has caught the attention of both Siren and myself is how there are many Atlasians whose talents seem to go to waste at times due to partisan or personal prejudices. There's always plenty of independents and even party members to be found who could contribute a lot to Atlasia yet are often prevented or unable to do so, and and we will keep an open mind to give different Atlasians a chance to be part of a Lumine/Siren Administration. The claim of being a "unity" government or a "diverse" one is often a masquerade for what constitutes "Moderate Heroism" for the sake of it, and I want to reassure the voters this is not the case.

We want to see talent from the right, from the left and elsewhere put to the test in improving the game and the lives of ordinary Atlasians, and we will work hard to ensure that activity standards and ethical standards remain an important part of the work done from the White House. That is also why on a matter of principle I have closed myself to the idea of offering cabinet offices before the election or engage in patronage, so the push for extra standards is a reality and not just self-serving rhetoric.

Finally, it is our commitment to lead the way in a more transparent, open White House, which not only refrains from conducting too many affairs from outside the forum (within reason) but also engages more often and more directly with the people of Atlasia. The same applies to oversight, particularly in light of several proposals we've written or supported to ensure there is always proper oversight on government matters.

Game Reform:

For years Siren and myself have promoted constitutional, electoral and game reform when we've found it necessary and for different reasons, and even when one cannot be successful or right in all the suggestions and proposals made we've always been part of the debate. On the other hand, no President and Vice-President may change the Constitution, and it will always be up for the people to fully implement changes if Congress proves kind enough to allow proposals to go to that vote. We very much believe there is a lot of room for improvement in our current framework, but we are also realistic in acknowledging that such measures require a certain consensus to pass.

The first part of our Administration if elected will therefore include an extensive debate on game reform proposals and their support (or lack of it) from the public, most likely via a Game Reform Commission that will aid in the task of deciding which reforms are both necessary and likely to garner the necessary support from the community (as, after all, final the decision belongs solely to them). The second part, therefore, will see the Administration presenting a reform package to Congress and to the general public in hopes of ensuring that this Game moves in a new, novel and ultimately positive direction.

In Closing:

We could go on, of course, in greater detail considering this is an issue at the cornerstone of this campaign and an important focus, but at the risk of making this speech way longer than it currently is. Be assured, however, that as a team we'd very much like to do things differently for once and with a sincere approach towards reform, and that we are convinced that we can help build a better game alongside the Atlasian community through such ideals. If you give us a chance, I believe you won't regret it. No Administration, President or Vice-President can change or improve Atlasia alone, not even with the best of intentions. But a difference can be made.

We're a ticket of enthusiastic reformers, and malaise, my friends, is not in our agenda.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2018, 06:20:46 PM »

Cabinet/Game Reform:
(TLDR Version)

In General: The Lumine/Siren ticket is one with a reformist mindset and record, rejecting stagnation in favor of the game moving into a new (but responsible) direction.

Some Proposals:

1. An Experimental, Flexible Cabinet which goes beyond the old SOS and SOI figures.
2. Policy powers for the Vice-President, including the Environment and Game Outreach.
3. New principal officers for the cabinet depending on public interest, such as a Secretary for Social Mobility.
4. Giving new and old Atlasians a chance to be part of the Cabinet and help the game.
5. An Administration which encourages diversity without becoming Moderate Heroism.
6. Work towards greater transparency, oversight and ethics in the Executive Power and Atlasia in general.
7. A public debate on Game Reform and a Commission to determine necessary measures with public support.
8. Introduce a comprehensive reform package after an appropiate debate for Congressional and public debate.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2018, 11:15:38 PM »

Foreign Policy:
Realism and Compromise

Policy Speech:
Dallas, TX (May 12th)

My fellow Atlasians,

It's been refreshing to return to the campaign trail and to speak to you from the South, particularly as I'm about to address one of my two favourite issues in terms of policy. For the last four years I have done my best in terms of pushing towards more debate of foreign policy issues, as well as constantly supporting measures which not only deal with this realm of policy, but encourage the respect for our international committments and responsibilities, promote a realistic view of foreign affairs, and stand for a more engaged and active mindset while promoting important oversight.

And so today I want to talk to you about the foreign policy of this ticket which is in a great born after much consultation with my esteemed running mate, and which may constitute a way to move Atlasia in a different and more responsible direction while tackling some of the concerns felt by hawks and doves in this nation as we speak.

Beliefs and Compromise:

Something which I've tried to do during my career is to speak my mind and be upfront about most of my views even if it may not be the popular thing so say. I hope to be the sort of representative for the people with whom you may not always agree with, but whom you know where it stands. And I make no secret of the fact that I believe that Atlasia has a crucial role to play on the world stage, just as I believe in the benefits of a strong, efficient national security, or in building bridges and positive relationships with our allies, or in taking a stand against totalitarianism, which I believe to be abhorrent and against basic human dignity. This is easily misconstrued by some as endorsing "neo-conservatism", which is not the case and, as I've pointed out in the past, has not been before as well.

Having said that, it is also true that Siren and myself do not always agree on foreign policy. But there is much on which we do agree on, and rather than stay silent on the issue and consider those disagreements as a negative concept, we believe they should be seen on a different light: that is to say, that this is a ticket that can combine the viewpoints of a hawk and a dove who are happy to work together for the good of the nation, with the benefit of compromises which do not exist for the sake of watered-down moderation, but which form a proactive, assertive foreign policy which is both pragmatic and in which the cabinet and specially the Vice-President will have valuable input to give.

A New Doctrine:

Through the history of Atlasia (and it's predecessor the United States) many Presidents have felt it necessary to express their own vision of foreign affairs in such a way that it becomes an unofficial "doctrine", which has included famous examples such as the Monroe, Truman, Nixon, Carter and Reagan doctrines (among many others). It is of course not my intention to promote something so arrogant like a Lumine Doctrine or pretend that I can set a course for the years to come, but what this potential Administration can do is to uphold a series of general principles that will guide our foreign policy thinking.

At the very least, ladies and gentlemen, the principles of this potential foreign policy doctrine endorse the idea that Atlasia must live up to its responsibilities and remain engaged with the rest of the world as a positive force for change, change that however must not be understood as endless nation building or being the world's policeman. It endorses the belief that we must stand up with our allies when they are threatened and that we cannot abandon willingly them to their own fate just to avoid intervention. It endorses the necessity of being supportive of democracy and basic human rights. It considers totalitarism as an unacceptable affront to human dignity, and terrorism as a force to be fought against. It defends the idea of keeping diplomacy at the forefront and keeping war as a last resort, but accepts that some times intervention may be necessary to save lives, or avoid a greater evil.

The War in Korea:

Even though commentary has been surprisingly limited on this issue, it is a fact that we are not at war with the Kim loyalists in North Korea and that Atlasian troops are openly fighting the Chinese on Korean soil, a situation which may well escalate if not properly handled. Both Siren and myself have discussed the issue and agreed that while we do not endorse escalation with China, we also believe we cannot abandon our allies in their hour of need, just as we believe that hearing the voices of the people of Korea will be crucial in building a lasting and not artificial peace. There is a brighter future that the people of North Korea have a right to enjoy, the right to live free from the yoke of starvation, violence and terror from the totalitarian rule of the Kims.

Allowing millions of human beings to suffer and die in the most innoble conditions posible after a brief taste of freedom and self-determination would be irresponsible, and something we cannot push aside. Therefore, this ticket endorses the necessity of living up to our responsibilities in fighting this war to achieve a lasting peace with honor in the Korean peninsula, seeking to bring China to the table once again to secure de-escalation without dooming millions to a horrible fate. It also endorses extensive humanitarian efforts to bring relief to millions of innocent lives suffering from the war, as well as taking extensive efforts to ensure the voice of liberated Koreans is heard and taken into account.

Two months are a long time and the conflict may yet end before the next administration takes office, but that is the course of action we believe in.

International Development, Cooperation and Aid:

As part of our belief that Atlasia can be a positive force for change in the world, we have resolved to expand humanitarian efforts across the globe in areas such as refugees, international development and foreign aid (more on this may be expanded by Siren later), combining the necessity of proper control and oversight to ensure funding isn't wasted in propping up authoritarian regimes or corrupt institutions while making an investment that will both save lives (and improve their quality of life) while promoting a greater sense of goodwill and cooperation.

The same applies, of course, to the general idea of a more engaged Atlasia with the rest of the world. If elected President, I myself will be undertaking an extensive trip to visit old and new allies and build stronger ties with key partners across the globe. We will also endorse the necessity of some reform within institutions like NATO and the United Nations as a general principle, and remain supportive of potential reforms such as the expansion and reform of the UN Security Council to become more efficient and include new voices in this new century such as Germany, India, Brazil or Japan (to name some candidates).

New Avenues:

Above all, there is just so much that can be done! It remains a fact that foreign affairs is an often underexplored and underdiscussed area of policy in Atlasia, and yet can involve a significant level of interactive gameplay and accomplishments which can have a remarkable influence inside the country and abroad. A Lumine/Siren administration will keep foreign affairs as an important area of policy that will feature important decisions and an active mindset, and it will not be afraid to innovate to what we hope can be the benefit of the nation.

To name some other avenues to be explored in terms of policy: a comprehensive approach towards South America is being considered, potentially to include further interaction with the Pacific Alliance, strenghten ties with local allies, seeking a coordinated response to the ongoing crisis in Venezuela which does not cause further suffering to its people, and so on; efforts on oversight and responsibility will also be up on the list, particularly in supporting the War Powers Amendment (currently under debate in Congress) and ensuring further legislation is passed to clarify the constitutional, executive and legislative boundaries of war.

In Closing:

It has been a long speech and it could have been even longer, but I hope this serves to showcase how this ticket has a committment to a different foreign policy (in more ways than one) while not necessarily agreeing on every single detail, but being willing to talk things over and work for the good of the nation. Above all, my fellow Atlasians, bear this in mind and don't let the naysayers convince you otherwise: A vote for Lumine / Siren is not a vote for war, it is a vote for a responsible, realistic foreign policy.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2018, 11:22:04 PM »

Foreign Policy:
(TLDR Version)

In General: The Lumine/Siren ticket promotes a more responsible and realistic foreign policy, combining both dovish and hawkish elements into an assertive worldview.

Some Proposals:

1. A new Foreign Policy Doctrine based on the defense of our allies, a stance against totalitarianism, upholding diplomacy above war, standing for democracy and basic human rights.
2. Seek a negotiated end to the Korean War while defending our allies and seeking to prevent millions from falling into totalitarian rule again.
3. Extensive humanitatian efforts in Korea to help victims of the war, as well as support for the new democratic government.
4. Expanding humanitarian efforts across the globe, including development, aid (through expansion and accountability) and support for refugees in certain contexts.
5. Seeking reform of NATO, the UN and other organisms for the sake of improved cooperation.
6. A new South American policy to engage more allies and address key issues such as Venezuela.
7. Continued support for oversight efforts such as the War Powers Amendment and associated legislation.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »

If you didn't have my vote before, you definently have it now.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2018, 03:58:27 PM »

My friends, I would like to make an announcement regarding the upcoming presidential election.

Now that all the major candidates are in, it's time to make a choice.  After much thought, I have determined which, out of all these great tickets, is best prepared to lead our country in a new direction.  And the candidates best qualified to do that are...

Lumine and Siren!

I've known Senator Lumine and former Senator Siren since they each started out here.  Both are great citizens who have a proven record of trust.  Lumine made it to be one of our Moderators General (is that the word?), and for the last few months I've had the pleasure of co-moderating with Siren on the forum's sister board, Atlas After Dark (join if you haven't yet!).  Both of them have sterling records of hard work and integrity.  Both have earned the confidence of the two factions of the 'greater Atlas' community, and while me and Lumine may differ on some issues, I believe he has what it takes to bring unity, and civic-mindedness, to our great Republic.

The Lumine administration will be one of civility, activity, and openness.  Lumine acknowledges the challenges our country - and the globe - are facing.  That's why he voted to keep the carbon tax initiative on the books.  He understands that mass deregulation is not the antidote to our nation's problems.  And now at a time when pollution and man-made climate change are eroding the planet, increasing scarcity of resources and poverty around the globe, contributing to natural disasters and the destruction of people's homes, killing biodiversity, and wiping out more endangered species - it is imperative that we have a team in the White House who will take these problems head-on and support green initiatives.

As for Siren, there's more I could say about her than I could fit into a single post.  I remember the first time Siren joined, years ago, and became one of the first members of my short-lived Light Party.  Siren is someone I'm proud to consider a friend.  Together in the Senate, we held the administration's feet to the fire to see that Atlasia's involvement in Korean War would be swift and that the blood shed by our service members would be minimal and not in vain.  It was the start of the Korean War which led to the creation of the Peace Party, of which I am now a proud member.

In summary, Lumine and Siren are great patriots, great Fremontians, and great Atlasians, who will fight for us every step of the way.  I urge my fellow citizens to join this campaign, for a greater, more prosperous, civic-minded Atlasia.

Thank you, and Dave bless.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2018, 10:50:16 PM »

My friends, I would like to make an announcement regarding the upcoming presidential election.

Now that all the major candidates are in, it's time to make a choice.  After much thought, I have determined which, out of all these great tickets, is best prepared to lead our country in a new direction.  And the candidates best qualified to do that are...

Lumine and Siren!

Scott, your support and endorsement truly means a lot, and it is both an honor and a privilege to have such an accomplished public servant endorse this agenda of change for Atlasia. Thank you very much!
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2018, 12:55:14 AM »

What is your stance on the following gun related issues:
-Would you support banning bump stocks and support universal background checks on guns? Would you be open to an assault weapons ban?
-What would you do to combat the rising gun violence rate in Atlasia?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies