See? Us Mexicans care for you!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:50:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  See? Us Mexicans care for you!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: See? Us Mexicans care for you!  (Read 4055 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2005, 11:35:25 PM »

Given how awful a country Mexico is, we had a very legitimate claim even before they unjustly invaded Texas.
This is getting better and better. You can might say that the US were protecting its newly aquired lands (Texas) but when they claimed California, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Colerado and Arizona it wasn't really a war of protection.

They invaded us, so we took their land. Pretty simple.

If we had initiated the war, things might be different, although I think manifest destiny is a perfectly legitimate principle anyway.

I thought you believed in 'property rights'?  I think the poor should take the 'property' of the rich.. how is that any different?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2005, 09:31:10 AM »

In a state of nature, if someone tried to take your property, it would be just to take theirs. Alas, we have governments, so it is different.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2005, 10:04:22 AM »

Legitimately, you got your ass handed to you. I'd advise you to stop crying about it.
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2005, 10:59:35 AM »

Also. LEGITIMATELY that territory is Mexican.
Why is it legitimately Mexican? Why is it not, say, legitimately Aztec?
Cashcow

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2005, 11:50:07 AM »

I believe we actually purchased the land after we won the Mexican-American War. That's just how nice we are. Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2005, 04:03:00 PM »

In a state of nature, if someone tried to take your property, it would be just to take theirs. Alas, we have governments, so it is different.

No, it isn't.  The state of nature still applies, it is just harder to get away with it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2005, 04:41:59 PM »

Please, Please, take Texas and Louisiana away from us!

I thought you lived in Thailand.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2005, 05:14:48 PM »

Please, Please, take Texas and Louisiana away from us!

I thought you lived in Thailand.

Alas, only part of the year.. happily I do return very soon.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2005, 09:38:38 PM »

teh US will steal Thailand, and install Christianity on it's people there Tongue
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2005, 09:40:20 PM »

Their amazing President is moving in that direction thankfully.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2005, 12:10:05 AM »

Come on, what kind of legitimate claim did the US have on Mexico north of the Rio Grande?

Whether they had a legitimate claim or not, I am glad my current place of residence isn't still in Mexico now. Tongue
Jens
Angola

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2005, 02:17:56 AM »

I believe we actually purchased the land after we won the Mexican-American War. That's just how nice we are. Wink
Only the southern parts of New Mexico and Arizona (1853). The majority was aquired in the peace treaty after the war (1846-1848)
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2005, 10:27:23 AM »

Come on, what kind of legitimate claim did the US have on Mexico north of the Rio Grande?

Whether they had a legitimate claim or not, I am glad my current place of residence isn't still in Mexico now. Tongue

"Now why don't you look down to where your feet is planted? That US soil that makes you take sh1t for granted!
If not for Santa Anna Just to let you know, that where your feet are planted would be Mexico! CORRECTO"

-Frijolero By Molotov-
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2005, 10:32:13 AM »

Well if I would have had my way I would have forced the US government back then to take all of Mexico. (Literally they were too racisit because the rest of Mexico wasn't like the rest of the US so we didn't take it)
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2005, 10:35:16 AM »

Well if I would have had my way I would have forced the US government back then to take all of Mexico. (Literally they were too racisit because the rest of Mexico wasn't like the rest of the US so we didn't take it)

That, and the intense prejudice for the Amerindians led fear to the expansion of slavery.
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2005, 11:26:12 AM »

The Spaniards took it from the Native Americans. The Mexicans took it from the Spaniards, the Texans from the Mexicans and the Americans from the Texans (annexation) and Mexicans (war). What is your point?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2005, 02:01:27 PM »

Only the southern parts of New Mexico and Arizona (1853). The majority was aquired in the peace treaty after the war (1846-1848)
Actually, we purchased the land in the peace treaty as well. Smiley We just got far better terms then. Wink
Cashcow

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2005, 07:07:05 PM »

Actually, we purchased the land in the peace treaty as well. Smiley We just got far better terms then. Wink

Yeah, I'm not talking about the Gadsden Purchase.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2005, 10:32:19 PM »

IIRC, we offered them $30,000,000 for the land before the war and gave them $15,000,000 after it.

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2005, 10:51:17 PM »

Glad to see we've continued to rip them off.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2005, 02:46:25 AM »

Yeah, I'm not talking about the Gadsden Purchase.
IIRC, we offered them $30,000,000 for the land before the war and gave them $15,000,000 after it.
When you force a country to give up half its territory and then give 15 million so they will stop crying, I wouldn't really call it a purchase
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2005, 04:17:21 AM »

We didn't "steal" Mexican land. If another nation trys to steal your territory, it only makes sense to teach them a little lesson.
Now, the Spanish-American War on the other hand...
The government of Texas voted to accede to the United States.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2005, 05:17:36 AM »

We didn't "steal" Mexican land. If another nation trys to steal your territory, it only makes sense to teach them a little lesson.
True, but in the eyes of everybody els they were a rebel province, much like Somaliland is looked upon today. Do you know how many states that recognised the independent republic of Texas?
Jens
Angola

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2005, 05:21:02 AM »

True, but in the eyes of everybody els they were a rebel province, much like Somaliland is looked upon today. Do you know how many states that recognised the independent republic of Texas?
Looked it up myself. According to Wikipedia, France, USA, UK, Netherlands and Yucatán recongnised Texas
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2005, 05:50:43 AM »

Looked it up myself. According to Wikipedia, France, USA, UK, Netherlands and Yucatán recongnised Texas
Ah, but IIRC most of them did not recognize Texas' claim to extend all the way to the Rio Grande. Texas ended at the Nueces (or the Brazos? Can't tell those names apart...Not the Pecos.) River. In many ways it still does. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies