Would a generic republican won counties in Maine other than Piscataquis?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:21:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Would a generic republican won counties in Maine other than Piscataquis?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would a generic republican won counties in Maine other than Piscataquis?  (Read 1695 times)
christian peralta
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2018, 11:06:38 PM »

Discuss
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 07:48:51 AM »

Yes, and they would have won the 2nd district, but lost the state at-large by more than Trump did.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 09:10:39 AM »

I think that was more of anti-Hillary vote than pro-Trump.  2016 clearly shook things up a bit, and we might see trends that it amplified continue for quite some time, but we can't draw EVERY conclusion from one election.  Maine is still a New England state with largely New England politics, even if more moderate than the likes of Massachusetts.  2016 had a particularly weak Republican field, but I think Generic R™ beats Hillary Clinton in ME-2 in the environment of 2016.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 01:11:11 AM »

I think that was more of anti-Hillary vote than pro-Trump.  2016 clearly shook things up a bit, and we might see trends that it amplified continue for quite some time, but we can't draw EVERY conclusion from one election.  Maine is still a New England state with largely New England politics, even if more moderate than the likes of Massachusetts.  2016 had a particularly weak Republican field, but I think Generic R™ beats Hillary Clinton in ME-2 in the environment of 2016.

I wouldn't call it anti-Hillary. The 2nd has a very independent, working-class streak to it that Trump especially appealed to. If it was anti-Hillary, then the 1st, with Portland (Bernieville), would have been closer, but it was about average as to how it usually goes.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 01:12:12 AM »

Anyhow, if it was a generic Republican that won, then I could see Somerset and Aroostock narrowly going for them.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 03:44:56 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2018, 04:02:16 AM by PoliticalShelter »

This is the results for the Medicaid expansion results in 2017.

Lets put it this way, if the Medicaid expansion couldn't win those Northern counties, then I strongly doubt that any Democratic presidential nominee, will be able to win those counties.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 06:51:22 PM »

This is the results for the Medicaid expansion results in 2017.

Lets put it this way, if the Medicaid expansion couldn't win those Northern counties, then I strongly doubt that any Democratic presidential nominee, will be able to win those counties.

In the future you mean, right? Because Obama won every county, except Piscataquis, twice.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 10:00:39 PM »

A generic Republican would've had a shot at most of the Trump-voting counties, but Kennebec probably would've stayed Democratic and Androscoggin, Franklin, and Oxford would've been less likely to flip.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies