Maine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:26:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Maine
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maine  (Read 2272 times)
christian peralta
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2018, 08:18:18 PM »

Do you think that Trump or a possible republican nominee in 2020 will hold the 2nd congressional district of Maine, lose it or won the whole state?
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 08:32:05 PM »

Under current conditions, I think Maine statewide and southern Maine is a lock for Democrats, while northern Maine is a toss-up. In the near future, the best conceivable Republican result would be a win statewide but a loss in southern Maine.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 11:14:08 PM »

If the Dems get the Gov and legislature they should repeal the split electoral votes.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 04:15:15 AM »

In the near future (not 2020) Maine statewide will probably be carried by a Republican.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 11:45:24 AM »

It’s pretty obvious that Maine is no longer a lock for Democrats, and IMO Republicans could actually hold Collins' seat in a favorable midterm in 2026 and win the state's electoral votes the next time they win the presidency (maybe 2020 is still too early for that, though).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 01:57:15 PM »

If the Dems get the Gov and legislature they should repeal the split electoral votes.

Because they lost ME-2 once?
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2018, 02:23:01 PM by BernieBro »

Because they lost ME-2 once?
Remember Tom, according to hofoid, Democrats are still an elitist wall street party that runs candidates who best fitted for rich suburban areas like Fairfield County CT and Forsyth County GA!(lol)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 02:21:59 PM »

The GOP will thank them for the extra electoral vote they will be receiving in the future due to the new law.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 05:00:39 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2018, 11:01:48 AM by xīngkěruì »

It is way too soon to be assuming that Maine is going to be a solid Republican state. It was shockingly close in 2016, but so was Montana in 2008, and we saw how quickly Montana swung back to the Republicans. One election cycle is not enough to determine a trend. If Poliquin wins in a good year for Democrats and Republicans hold the governor's race or come very close, then we'd have more evidence that Maine is trending Republican. I think the jury's still out though, and I could easily see Maine (ME-02 especially) swinging heavily back to the Democrats in 2018/2020.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 07:29:17 PM »

It is way too soon to be assuming that Maine is going to be a solid Republican state. It was shockingly close in 2016, but so was Montana in 2008, and we saw how quickly Montana swung back to the Republicans. One election cycle is not enough to determine a trend. If Poliquin wins in a good year or Democrats and Republicans hold the governor's race or come very close, then we'd have more evidence that Maine is trending Republican. I think the jury's still out though, and I could easily see Maine (ME-02 especially) swinging heavily back to the Democrats in 2018/2020.
^^^
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 09:07:02 PM »

Thats fine if Dems lose ME-1 electoral vote eventually. Every state should be winner take all.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 09:55:30 AM »

It is way too soon to be assuming that Maine is going to be a solid Republican state. It was shockingly close in 2016, but so was Montana in 2008, and we saw how quickly Montana swung back to the Republicans. One election cycle is not enough to determine a trend. If Poliquin wins in a good year or Democrats and Republicans hold the governor's race or come very close, then we'd have more evidence that Maine is trending Republican. I think the jury's still out though, and I could easily see Maine (ME-02 especially) swinging heavily back to the Democrats in 2018/2020.

I agree with this. It gets annoying when people say a state or district is trending away from one party or the other based solely on a single Presidential race.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 07:23:22 PM »

I agree with this. It gets annoying when people say a state or district is trending away from one party or the other based solely on a single Presidential race.
Exactly. People didn't say Indiana was Lean D after 2008. Maine, and Northern Maine in particular, will sing a lot in elections.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 09:34:20 AM »

Exactly. People didn't say Indiana was Lean D after 2008. Maine, and Northern Maine in particular, will sing a lot in elections.
Will Maine sing acapella?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »

Will Maine sing acapella?

No, a New Hampshire band of angry women will back it up on the drums.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 02:29:53 PM »

If Trump is unable to hold CD2, it will be a bad sign for the other areas he flipped from Obama.

I have no idea, personally. How this year's congressional race goes, as well as the results of the gubernatorial race, should give us an indication, but Obama and Michaud won CD2 in 2012 and LePage of course destroyed Michaud in CD2 in 2014 and Trump won it in 2016.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 02:39:40 PM »

Will never happen, will destroy the party in this state.

In the near future (not 2020) Maine statewide will probably be carried by a Republican.
Southern Maine is the only area growing, and it's safe Democrat. So no.

It is way too soon to be assuming that Maine is going to be a solid Republican state. It was shockingly close in 2016, but so was Montana in 2008, and we saw how quickly Montana swung back to the Republicans. One election cycle is not enough to determine a trend. If Poliquin wins in a good year for Democrats and Republicans hold the governor's race or come very close, then we'd have more evidence that Maine is trending Republican. I think the jury's still out though, and I could easily see Maine (ME-02 especially) swinging heavily back to the Democrats in 2018/2020.
Thank you for some reason. Because LePage won a split vote twice and Trump did really well among exurban whites doesn't mean Maine is on its way to becoming safe Republican any more than Michigan.

Here is one map explaining how Maine will not be a Republican state in the near future: https://www.pressherald.com/2016/05/19/interactive-population-change-in-maine-towns-2010-2015/

The Republican areas of the state will make up such a microscopic portion of the state's population in the future that (if we still have two EC votes), they'll be split between the heavily Democratic Downeast.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies