VA-GOV 2021: George Allen for governor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:38:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2021: George Allen for governor?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2021: George Allen for governor?  (Read 3259 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 05:30:32 PM »

If Virginia wants to make confederate flags and saying macaca great again.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 05:31:48 PM »

If Virginia wants to make confederate flags and saying macaca great again.

Well Ralph Northam is apparently waaay ahead on this one! Wink
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 05:37:51 PM »

His son Forrest could run, or his brother, Bruce Allen of the Washington Redskins.

InheritTheWind

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2019, 07:09:19 PM »

His son Forrest could run, or his brother, Bruce Allen of the Washington Redskins.

Lmao if Bruce Allen ran I’d think you’d see the Dem nominee put up third world dictator margins in NoVa
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 07:31:26 PM »

Lmao if Bruce Allen ran I’d think you’d see the Dem nominee put up third world dictator margins in NoVa
What's wrong with Bruce?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2019, 08:01:29 PM »

BTW if/when Northam resigns, Fairfax has the right under VA law to both appoint his LG and run for a second term, two unusual circumstances that Virginia has not experienced since those laws were changed.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2019, 05:35:52 AM »

What will be interesting for the VA Dems in 2021 w/ Fairfax likely becoming governor today is that, if/when Fairfax runs for a full first term, AG Mark Herring (who deferred to Northam in 2017 but has also already declared his candidacy for governor in 2021) will probably find himself effectively blocked out of the race, or at least facing quite the uphill primary race against Gov. Fairfax & his incumbency advantage, not to mention his potential to become a Democratic superstar after this whole fiasco. (Plus, if you think of politics as a game of incentives, then the VA Dems have more of an incentive to run Fairfax again in 2021 since he likely has a much more promising political future than Herring does.)

So I guess waiting his turn might mean not getting a turn at all for Herring. Perhaps he just drops out of the governor's race altogether & runs for a 3rd term as AG so he can then run for Governor in 2025? After all, he's only 57 right now, & would only be 64 at the time of that election.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2019, 10:18:48 AM »

What will be interesting for the VA Dems in 2021 w/ Fairfax likely becoming governor today is that, if/when Fairfax runs for a full first term, AG Mark Herring (who deferred to Northam in 2017 but has also already declared his candidacy for governor in 2021) will probably find himself effectively blocked out of the race, or at least facing quite the uphill primary race against Gov. Fairfax & his incumbency advantage, not to mention his potential to become a Democratic superstar after this whole fiasco. (Plus, if you think of politics as a game of incentives, then the VA Dems have more of an incentive to run Fairfax again in 2021 since he likely has a much more promising political future than Herring does.)

So I guess waiting his turn might mean not getting a turn at all for Herring. Perhaps he just drops out of the governor's race altogether & runs for a 3rd term as AG so he can then run for Governor in 2025? After all, he's only 57 right now, & would only be 64 at the time of that election.

Interesting because this was basically what I was thinking too. I’d say that Herring announced his bid for 2021 way too early, lol.
JMT

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2019, 01:28:14 PM »

I've been thinking about the effects of this for Herring as well. I doubt he runs against Fairfax, an incumbent governor. Knowing this, perhaps Herring could strike a deal with Fairfax. Herring could run for Lieutenant Governor in 2021, with the promise that Fairfax backs him in 2025? From what I have read, Fairfax gets to appoint his new Lt. Gov. Maybe Fairfax could appoint Herring?
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2019, 05:11:36 PM »

If George "Macaca" Allen and EWWWWWW Jackson are the best the VAGOP has to offer, then the VAGOP is going to be in political Narnia for a loooonnnggg time.

If 'Macaca' himself can't run again, maybe bring back Jim Gilmore. People will be tired of higher taxes, and he can bring back his car tax repeal slogan for 2021. Fightin' Jim 2021!
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2019, 11:18:07 PM »

I still find it insane that the VA GOP has collapsed to the point that they haven't been able to win a statewide election in 10 years, even though the state never voted for a Democratic presidential nominee between 1964 and 2008 and Maryland Republicans have won two. Looks like the best they can do for 2021 is a washed-up retread like Allen. Better than nominating Corey Stewart or some other loon like him.

Some state parties slowly erode their grip on power during realignments. Others lose it all in the span of a few years.

Virginia Republicans and Arkansas Democrats are examples of the latter.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2019, 11:25:38 PM »

I've been thinking about the effects of this for Herring as well. I doubt he runs against Fairfax, an incumbent governor. Knowing this, perhaps Herring could strike a deal with Fairfax. Herring could run for Lieutenant Governor in 2021, with the promise that Fairfax backs him in 2025? From what I have read, Fairfax gets to appoint his new Lt. Gov. Maybe Fairfax could appoint Herring?

Lt. Gov is honestly a pretty bum job with a joke salary and really very little power. AG is probably one of the most powerful offices in the state almost equal to the Gov given they have no term limit. That would be a major stepdown for Herring and honestly would make no sense, he can accomplish way more as AG and it is a perfect stepping stone to Gov.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2019, 03:32:42 PM »

Allen lost because of War Fatigue and because of the demographic changes in VA over time.  The "Macaca" comment was a bigger deal in the media than it was in fact. 

Allen lost because of the growth of NoVA and the anti-war sentiment.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2019, 05:01:16 PM »

I still find it insane that the VA GOP has collapsed to the point that they haven't been able to win a statewide election in 10 years, even though the state never voted for a Democratic presidential nominee between 1964 and 2008 and Maryland Republicans have won two. Looks like the best they can do for 2021 is a washed-up retread like Allen. Better than nominating Corey Stewart or some other loon like him.

Some state parties slowly erode their grip on power during realignments. Others lose it all in the span of a few years.

Virginia Republicans and Arkansas Democrats are examples of the latter.
Indiana Democrats would be an example of the former.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies