Should it be socially expected to help those who have hurt you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:08:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Should it be socially expected to help those who have hurt you?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should it be socially expected to help those who have hurt you?  (Read 1697 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2018, 02:09:50 PM »

For example, my parents were horrible to me growing up yet for some reason I'm socially expected to want to take care of them when they get old. I don't understand this at all, because since they hurt me, I see no reason I should be frowned upon for denying them help to pay their medical bills and letting them die impoverished.

Maybe if people want my help and have hurt me in the past, they should get on their knees and sincerely beg for my forgiveness. Otherwise I see no reason to help anyone who has hurt me.

This is the problem I have with a lot of social welfare too. My tax dollars may be going to people who were rude to me at some point, and I don't think it's moral that I am expected to prop up those who have crossed me. If you prove yourself unworthy of help, why should anyone compel me to help?

I think it's extremely immoral that we're socially expected to help those who have hurt us, does anyone have any sort of justification for it?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 02:49:07 PM »

The only way to break the cycle of hurt you seem to be in is forgiveness. You can either stay bitter or choose to get better.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »

The only way to break the cycle of hurt you seem to be in is forgiveness. You can either stay bitter or choose to get better.

if i've learned anything in my life, it's that if i forgive anyone, they take advantage of it and hurt me all over again.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 05:11:39 PM »

if i've learned anything in my life, it's that if i forgive anyone, they take advantage of it and hurt me all over again.
Unfortunately, this is all too common. Accountability is just as important a concept as forgiveness and I do think forgiveness has to be earned. If there is not trust, there is no healthy relationship.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 06:55:18 PM »

Unfortunately, this is all too common. Accountability is just as important a concept as forgiveness and I do think forgiveness has to be earned. If there is not trust, there is no healthy relationship.

Forgiveness benefits the forgiver more than the foregiven.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 07:40:29 PM »

Indeed:
If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head,
- Proverbs 25:21-22
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 03:53:18 AM »

The benefits of extending forgiveness to someone who will just spit on it and mistreat you again seem questionable to me.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 09:42:34 AM »

Trying to get along with psychic vampires is a victim mentality.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 10:41:24 AM »

To those who have hurt you yes. To those who have broken you, no.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 07:36:55 AM »

Hillgoose,

You are just going to have to face up it.

Whether, you like them or not,

Maya
Summer
Kayla
Alyssa
Amanda
Marie
Maria
Ashley
Jennifer
Sarah
Sarah #2
Sara
Maddie
Meghan
Kris
Cynthia
Emma
Sammi
Lina
Lexi
Erica...

need your forgiveness for calling you a 'ho'.

You have to be the bigger person here.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 08:14:19 AM »

The benefits of extending forgiveness to someone who will just spit on it and mistreat you again seem questionable to me.

Don’t waste mental space—let alone hatred—on those who don’t care.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 01:03:23 PM »

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” - Coretta Scott King

The wounds of hurt and hatred will never be healed by fighting back. As only water will end the destruction caused by fire, only love will end the destruction caused by hatred. Let love flow like an unending stream, and fill the bucket of your enemies with compassion from a well without a bottom. Your enemies who have burned you with hate - drown them with love, and their conscience will convict them a thousand times.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 05:12:31 PM »

Forgivness always brings more happiness than hate.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 06:08:08 PM »

Hillgoose,

Maya
Summer
Kayla
Alyssa
Amanda
Marie
Maria
Ashley
Jennifer
Sarah
Sarah #2
Sara
Maddie
Meghan
Kris
Cynthia
Emma
Sammi
Lina
Lexi
Erica...

To be honest, I'm pretty sure he did something to them. Someone who was actually wronged wouldn't broadcast it this much- but someone with a guilty conscience might. Not saying I know what went down at all, just making a reasonable guess.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 12:05:29 AM »

Hillgoose,

Maya
Summer
Kayla
Alyssa
Amanda
Marie
Maria
Ashley
Jennifer
Sarah
Sarah #2
Sara
Maddie
Meghan
Kris
Cynthia
Emma
Sammi
Lina
Lexi
Erica...

To be honest, I'm pretty sure he did something to them. Someone who was actually wronged wouldn't broadcast it this much- but someone with a guilty conscience might. Not saying I know what went down at all, just making a reasonable guess.

i was kind of a ho but not on purpose all the time and idk i was just dumb and kind of mean and played with a lot of ppls emotions.

i feel bad about kind of being a ho sometimes. but also its like i dont get why some of them are hung up on me. like i wish they would just leave it, not all of them but you know there are like 3 of them or so that will.

i even told them i was gay, but nope they still want to be around me or whatever.

i'll own up to being a ho tho. i dont expect them to forgive me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies