Which Democratic candidates will buck the leftward march during the primaries?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:18:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Which Democratic candidates will buck the leftward march during the primaries?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Which Democratic candidates will buck the leftward march during the primaries?  (Read 1828 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »
« edited: May 18, 2018, 02:51:42 PM by Mr. Morden »

This is one of many stories about the 2020 Dems moving left:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/liberal-ideas-move-fringe-front-burner-democrats-n873516

Rhetorically at least, Booker, Gillibrand, and Harris now agree with Bernie Sanders on nearly every domestic issue.  If they all had a debate today, there'd be very little on which they disagreed.

Health care, guaranteed employment, free college, minimum wage, legalized pot, etc.  They're all reaching alignment on these issues.

OTOH, you also have a bunch of likely 2020 Democratic candidates (O'Malley, McAuliffe, Castro, Garcetti, etc.) who haven't matched the leftward march on all of these things, probably just because they're not in Congress, and so it's not expected for them to promote specific policy proposals like that (yet).  So will all of these other likely 2020 Dems agree with the Senators on the aforementioned issues once their formally declare their candidacy and have their own issue platforms, or will some of them buck the trend?  And who would buck the trend and on which issues?

I'm just wondering if there are going to be *any* 2020 Dems whose stated policy positions are closer to Clinton 2016 than Sanders 2016.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 01:52:25 PM »

Biden for sure.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »

Like, deliberately? I think only Biden would dare.
DevinM626
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2018, 04:06:03 PM by DevinM626 »

Biden, Delaney, and McAuliffe.

I think Castro, Cuomo, and O'Malley would at least *pretend* to adopt Left-Wing positions, even though they'll absolutely govern as New Dems if they were to get elected.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 04:04:44 PM »

The dumb ones.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 04:19:01 PM »

Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 05:51:00 PM »

Joe Biden.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »

Biden, which is why I'm supporting him.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »

#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 11:20:25 AM »

Klobuchar is another fairly obvious one, in addition to Biden. The mayors, too, but they'll run on generic "getting things done," instead of specific policy platforms.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »

Biden, which is why I'm (not) supporting him.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 02:32:05 PM »

The mayors, too, but they'll run on generic "getting things done," instead of specific policy platforms.

I mean, at some point they'll have to offer some policy specifics.  Otherwise, what will they say when asked about some of these things in debates?

"Should we have single payer health care?"  "Maybe"
"Should there be a federal jobs guarantee?"  "Maybe"
"Should marijuana be legalized?"  "Maybe"

You can dodge on some of this stuff, but you've got to have some specifics on *something*.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 02:39:27 PM »

Proportionality really screws with everything. It's pretty clearly true that there's more room to the left in the Democratic primary than to the center, but if voters on the left are really divided between half a dozen names, one person towards the center could do disproportionately well with 25-30% of the vote, especially if that person has even the remotest crossover appeal to other groups. Alternately, more "centrist" Dems could play kingmaker between various different stripes of "Progressive," if, say, the primary comes down to Sanders v Gillibrand v Harris v Warren, all of whom are running to the "left" but mean different things by the "left.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 02:49:10 PM »

Riiiiiiight, LOL.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 03:31:06 PM »

Biden, which is why I'm supporting him.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 10:23:19 PM »

The mayors, too, but they'll run on generic "getting things done," instead of specific policy platforms.

I mean, at some point they'll have to offer some policy specifics.  Otherwise, what will they say when asked about some of these things in debates?

"Should we have single payer health care?"  "Maybe"
"Should there be a federal jobs guarantee?"  "Maybe"
"Should marijuana be legalized?"  "Maybe"

You can dodge on some of this stuff, but you've got to have some specifics on *something*.

See, I don't think they'll be that cagey with it, though. The only reason I brought it up is that the mayors will start out with a name recognition deficit and specific policy proposals early on will only serve to alienate someone. But if one of them is asked about e.g., a jobs guarantee, it'd lead itself to a natural answer of "Well when I was Mayor of [city], we were able to create [number of jobs] by working in coordination with our small businesses and by expanding [city service] and that's how I created jobs." Only once one of them breaks out will the specifics come.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 10:47:42 PM »

I don't remember the last time that alienating centrists got someone elected.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 11:47:22 PM »

Reagan did pretty well. Granted, he was vs a pretty unpopular President.

Also tbf, the "center" isn't stagnant. It moves.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 11:55:57 PM »

This. People need to understand that the "establishment" (often associated with the center) is what people despise in politics right now. This isn't 1992 anymore.

FWIW, I also think Joe Biden will go for the leftward march to some extent. It's not like the Obama administration he served under didn't move left in his second term.  I think a more reasonable answer to the question would be Klobuchar or Bullock.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 12:17:19 AM »

This. People need to understand that the "establishment" (often associated with the center) is what people despise in politics right now. This isn't 1992 anymore.

FWIW, I also think Joe Biden will go for the leftward march to some extent. It's not like the Obama administration he served under didn't move left in his second term.  I think a more reasonable answer to the question would be Klobuchar or Bullock.

Bullock is already more progressive than the establishment dems though
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 09:59:37 AM »

FWIW, I also think Joe Biden will go for the leftward march to some extent. It's not like the Obama administration he served under didn't move left in his second term.  I think a more reasonable answer to the question would be Klobuchar or Bullock.
I don't see this anti-establishment movement being nearly as large as you guys are making it out to be. People voted for the political establishment over a crazy man in Alabama. They voted for an establishment candidate in PA-18. The extreme, anti-establishment candidates lost in both primaries for WV-SEN. None of the recent major victories for democrats have come from far left candidates and any anti-establishment movement that could've helped Trump seems to have died down amid his continuously low poll numbers and backlash from republicans. There is much more evidence to show that the anti-establishment and progressive movements are way overblown than there is indicating that they'll be permanent and election-deciding.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 10:35:12 AM »

Klobuchar, McAullife, and Biden (If he runs, which I think is less likely then people think)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 09:07:53 PM »

FWIW, I also think Joe Biden will go for the leftward march to some extent. It's not like the Obama administration he served under didn't move left in his second term.  I think a more reasonable answer to the question would be Klobuchar or Bullock.
I don't see this anti-establishment movement being nearly as large as you guys are making it out to be. People voted for the political establishment over a crazy man in Alabama. They voted for an establishment candidate in PA-18. The extreme, anti-establishment candidates lost in both primaries for WV-SEN. None of the recent major victories for democrats have come from far left candidates and any anti-establishment movement that could've helped Trump seems to have died down amid his continuously low poll numbers and backlash from republicans. There is much more evidence to show that the anti-establishment and progressive movements are way overblown than there is indicating that they'll be permanent and election-deciding.
I absolutely agree. The views of Atlas do not reflect the USA as a whole.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 07:10:10 PM »

I don't see this anti-establishment movement being nearly as large as you guys are making it out to be. People voted for the political establishment over a crazy man in Alabama. They voted for an establishment candidate in PA-18. The extreme, anti-establishment candidates lost in both primaries for WV-SEN. None of the recent major victories for democrats have come from far left candidates and any anti-establishment movement that could've helped Drumpf seems to have died down amid his continuously low poll numbers and backlash from republicans. There is much more evidence to show that the anti-establishment and progressive movements are way overblown than there is indicating that they'll be permanent and election-deciding.

Very true.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 04:03:10 PM »

Biden.

Manchin might even be more conservative than Clinton, he still has a pretty good chance of winning.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies