Annexing Cuba After Castro Dies?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:27:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Annexing Cuba After Castro Dies?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Annexing Cuba After Castro Dies?  (Read 11810 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2004, 11:19:21 AM »

Honestly I would be all for it.  Cuba should be the 51st state.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2004, 03:03:07 PM »

Good idea let's just go kick him out now! Cheesy
ShapeShifter

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2004, 06:47:12 AM »

This and the PR poll is utter non-sense. Why would a spanish country want to be part of the United States? I sure wouldn't. Not going to happen.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2004, 10:15:31 AM »

Yes, yes yes! I want more land for the U.S.
And you're against statehood of Puerto Rico! Doesn't make sense.

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=3082

I don't think annexation of Cuba would be very good idea.  But on the other hand if Cubans and Americans both wanted, it would be of course OK.

1) Annexation of Cuba would be extremely expensive. Are you ready raise your taxes for it? I don't think so.

2) I consider that majority of Cubans wouldn't want it. They just want to overthrow Communism, not become the state of USA.

3) Although Castro is bloody dictator, he has some real support. (maybe 20-30 percent) Do you want that two or three million communists become citizens of USA?

4) State would probably be very Democratic. Most of the people are extremely poor and experienced living with government's benefits, like free (but not so good quality) healthcare. Many republican anti-Castro Cubans have already moved to Florida and most of them aren't coming back.

English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2004, 08:27:28 AM »

Absolutely not. Cuba is a sovereign state, communist or not. In any case what makes you think they'd want to be part of the US?
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2020, 12:30:24 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2020, 01:43:14 PM by A Brave Old Fuzzy Bear for a Brave New Atlas »

THIS GUY is President of Cuba now.

Fidel is dead, and Raul is First Secretary of the Communist Party.  Diaz-Canal is much younger.

One of the biggest disagreements I have with the Trump Administration is not expanding on Obama's policy and bringing about full diplomatic recognition of Cuba, along with full restoration of trading.  Our policy toward Cuba is indefensible, and is driven, more than a little bit, by Presidential electoral politics.  Of course we should not annex Cuba, even if Raul Castro lives to be 100.  We should develop a rational policy.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2020, 01:36:35 PM »

Russia is close to Cuba, they wont allow this to do this, so no
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2020, 01:44:17 PM »

What do we benefit from absorbing that sh*thole?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2020, 01:49:58 PM »

It wouldn't be a "sh*thole" for long if we made it a state. There would be so much development from American companies and tourism.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2020, 01:56:20 PM »

It wouldn't be a "sh*thole" for long if we made it a state. There would be so much development from American companies and tourism.

What indication is there Cubans would want statehood as opposed to simply getting rid of Castro and the Communists then ruling themselves?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2020, 01:58:02 PM »

Hell yeah!!! First steps toward the Pan-American Union!!!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2020, 02:19:24 PM »

What indication is there Cubans would want statehood as opposed to simply getting rid of Castro and the Communists then ruling themselves?

None as far as I know. I'm just talking in hypotheticals here.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2020, 02:20:56 PM »

What evidence exactly do we have of the Cuban people wanting to change governments as of this moment. All anecdotal evidence suggests that the majority of them are apathetic about politics, but open to reforms on civil liberties.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2020, 02:24:09 PM »

Hold a referendum in the country.  They have a different culture and the right to their independence if they want it.  Personally I'd encourage them to vote yes.

This.  Though I am in favor of any nation in North America/the Caribbean that wants to join the union.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2020, 02:36:36 PM »

What evidence exactly do we have of the Cuban people wanting to change governments as of this moment. All anecdotal evidence suggests that the majority of them are apathetic about politics, but open to reforms on civil liberties.

I think you're confusing "apathetic' with "not willing to risk prison and torture".

I don't think post-Castro Cuba is about to turn into some Cuban Republican's wet dream of Greater Miami with Reaganesque tax cuts, but it stands to reason that after over 60 years of the same government voters would want a change. Again, they'll keep the social safety net, and many Cubans will still support the old guard just like in the old Warsaw Pact countries. But it would be easy to expect a change.

But again, the basic question is what basis is there to believe a post-Castro free Cuba would have any tangible interest in joining the US? I mean, if even Puerto Rico with its residents being bona fide  US citizens plus sharing tremendous cultural and economic ties with the mainland for over a century are still conflicted about statehood, why would liberated Cuba suddenly have any imputus for it at all? Huh
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2020, 02:41:44 PM »

Is this a joke post? Am I being pranked? How is this being considered? You people are all maniacs. Obviously invading and subjugating a sovereign state would be morally abhorrent. What goes on in Cuba is not the business of the United States.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2020, 02:48:49 PM »

With Castro getting pretty old and Cuba being in the hold of communism for decades I think the US should annex Cuba and in time have it become a new state in the Union.

It will show that the US has nothing against the Cuban people and will also help with all that illegal immigration! Maybe it wall also get rid of Cuba's national anthem "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" Cheesy

It'll also make Cuba have a worldwide voice and improve it's quality of living.

So who's for the betterment of Cuba?
Wow, I see the quality of your posts haven't changed a bit.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2020, 03:12:21 PM »

With Castro getting pretty old and Cuba being in the hold of communism for decades I think the US should annex Cuba and in time have it become a new state in the Union.

It will show that the US has nothing against the Cuban people and will also help with all that illegal immigration! Maybe it wall also get rid of Cuba's national anthem "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" Cheesy

It'll also make Cuba have a worldwide voice and improve it's quality of living.

So who's for the betterment of Cuba?
Wow, I see the quality of your posts haven't changed a bit.

He was an staunchly nativist conservative Republican then.

Small world.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2020, 03:14:22 PM »

How about Puerto Rico first? You know, that territory with over 3 million disenfranchised American citizens?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies