If Roe were overturned and a lot Red (atlas blue) states banned abortion......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:45:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If Roe were overturned and a lot Red (atlas blue) states banned abortion......
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Roe were overturned and a lot Red (atlas blue) states banned abortion......  (Read 1131 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »

Do you think some states, especially those that aren't THAT anti-abortion or those who really want to make sure no abortions happen will make abortion at least  first trimester abortion a misdemeanor as to avoid having abortion patients and providers going to a jury trial to seek nullification?

Do you think some bluer areas of Red States (say, Kansas City, Austin, or a place like that) would have District Attorneys who would just let people go?

What about the Church? Will they become more active in law enforcement? Maybe there could be a rise again in ecclesiastical authorities investigating crime.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 07:04:22 AM »

Bump
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 08:12:43 AM »

Do you think some states, especially those that aren't THAT anti-abortion or those who really want to make sure no abortions happen will make abortion at least  first trimester abortion a misdemeanor as to avoid having abortion patients and providers going to a jury trial to seek nullification?

Striking down court cases opens the door but legislation would still need to be crafted and passed. I have a hard time seeing laws punishing the women passing. Most of the ideas kicked around in my camp are based around punishing the abortionist, so that's probably where legislation would start. Much easier to give an abortionist a felony than the mother from PR point of view.

Do you think some bluer areas of Red States (say, Kansas City, Austin, or a place like that) would have District Attorneys who would just let people go?

I have no idea about Kansas City but Austin or Atlanta sound like good candidates for this. I suspect it will happen. A devout pro-choicer or a Democrat with ambition in a blueing state would probably go for it.

What about the Church? Will they become more active in law enforcement? Maybe there could be a rise again in ecclesiastical authorities investigating crime.

You've been reading too much Handmaid's Tale fan fiction.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 12:49:51 PM »

In all likelihood, criminal penalties would be more focused on the doctors in such a scenario.  At least that is what most very early term bans have done.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 05:21:53 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2018, 05:27:18 PM by Heinous »

In all likelihood, criminal penalties would be more focused on the doctors in such a scenario.  At least that is what most very early term bans have done.

Modern abortion bans have a tendancy to go after everyone. It used to be in Portugual that there was literally a War on Abortion where even people who were ancillarily involved in the abortion were prosecuted. I heard that in Bhutan, 60% of female prisoners are there because they had an abortion. In Costa Rica, women are detained after a miscarriages. There was also a case in Ireland where one girl got 14 years when her roommate ratted on her.

Personally, I think that if abortion were illegal to get and not just to give, charges should also be pressed against the father for being an accomplice unless he tried to stop it before it happened. Charges would be pressed against the father even if he didn't know of the abortion because he should have known.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies