Landrieu : Country is still uncomfortable with female leaders. Is she right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:09:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Landrieu : Country is still uncomfortable with female leaders. Is she right?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Landrieu : Country is still uncomfortable with female leaders. Is she right?
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Landrieu : Country is still uncomfortable with female leaders. Is she right?  (Read 1598 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2005, 11:57:56 AM »

'I think that even today, the public is not quite as comfortable with female leaders as they are with male leaders. It is still a challenge for women to communicate that they are competent and able to do the job. There have been only a few women who have served as governor or senator relative to the number of men who have been elected to these positions. In the United States Senate, there have been only 27 women who have ever served out of approximately 1,850 individuals — a very small percentage. Likewise, there are very few women running large corporations, although that is changing — thanks, in part, to some of the new Internet startup companies.'

'The challenge for women seeking leadership positions in the public is to communicate that you're competent and able to do the job. So you've got to work a little harder in order to be successful'

'I would encourage all young people to consider public service opportunities. There are some wonderful rewards, whether you're in elective or appointed office. You can have a tremendous impact on writing, executing, or carrying out laws and work on the education system, health care programs, or environmental issues — it's quite exciting. There are great opportunities to meet people, travel, and become engaged in cutting edge issues, whether it's at the local, state, or national level.

'I would encourage young people to become active in extracurricular activities. Young people at all ages, in elementary and second school and on to college, can develop their leadership skills through extracurricular activities. Sports, for example, offers excellent leadership opportunities. I'd certainly encourage young people to stay in school and graduate with at least a college degree. For those who are interested in holding an elective position, having a masters degree in business administration or law can be useful.'

'Just being knowledgeable about the government process is beneficial; civics and social studies are very important. Our government is made up of a representative group of all of our population. Having elected officials with degrees in medicine or teaching can be very valuable — all those experiences are important. Someone who is a nurse before she or he runs for office will bring to the process a unique point of view. What is most important is developing leadership skills and understanding of the way government operates'.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 02:28:15 PM »

Breaking down into sobs during a crisis didn't help her cause.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 02:50:08 PM »

Being an emotionless robot sure helped Gray Davis' career.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 02:53:57 PM »

Yes she is correct.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 03:07:55 PM »

Some still have that mental block, but a majority of American's are more open to the idea of female leaders.  Just look at the number of women running big companies these days.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 03:29:20 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2005, 09:01:55 PM by Jake »

F***cking hell why is it back
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 03:44:51 PM »

Being an emotionless robot sure helped Gray Davis' career.

There is a difference between being emotionless, having emotions, and being emotional. People don't want the first, because they want a leader they can relate to, but people also don't want the latter because an emotional leader is less likely to make rational decisions.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 08:14:12 PM »

Some still have that mental block, but a majority of American's are more open to the idea of female leaders.  Just look at the number of women running big companies these days.

It's still a very small percentage of the total.

I think there is a deep-seated attitude among both men and women that when the going really gets tough, you want a man in charge.

Women play into this by emphasizing feminine values that sound great when there are no overriding pressing issues, but that are at best irrelevant when there is a real threat to the public.

There are a small number of women who can overcome this, but very few even try.  Most go the other way.  Dianne Feinstein's embarrassing, Oprah-ish questioning of John Roberts is a perfect example.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 08:37:26 PM »

In a way, she's right.  For my part, intellectually, I would say I am of course open to a female president.  Down in my gut, however, I am still much more comfortable with a male at the helm of the ship. 
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 09:03:16 PM »

In a way, she's right.  For my part, intellectually, I would say I am of course open to a female president.  Down in my gut, however, I am still much more comfortable with a male at the helm of the ship. 

That's how most people feel.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 09:04:48 PM »

Ditto. I don't want a Blanco who's going to cry when we are attacked again.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 09:22:19 PM »

she belongs in the kitchen Cheesy
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 05:05:08 PM »

She is absolutely right.  That's why we've never had a woman president.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 07:50:30 PM »

Of course.  I'd be more comfortable with a male president, although I would support a woman in certain circumstances.

Plus what is nomo's newfound obsession with Mary Landrieu?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 08:15:18 PM »

I would support a female Prime Minister. Would I support them because they were female? No. But deep in my gut...I couldn't give a sh**t. They'd still be awful, but maybe they'd be slightly less so. Worth a try.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 03:20:23 PM »

Miss Catholic I thought you said you were leaving the forums, did you change your mind?

We haven't had many female leaders because the women's rights movement is only 35 years old. These types of changes take time. Before 1960 there were female Representatives and Governors but the latter usually took over after their elected husbands died.

I like Mary Landrieu, she's a conservative Democrat w/o turning into a flaming populist like Zell "forehead vein" Miller. (An SNL reference)

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 08:08:24 PM »

sufferagettes
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies