Societies worse off 'when they have God on their side' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:20:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Societies worse off 'when they have God on their side' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Societies worse off 'when they have God on their side'  (Read 6607 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 28, 2005, 07:55:55 AM »

Sounds like saying: "Countries with more cars have more car wrecks."
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 11:47:29 AM »

I've read the article, and you also have to realize that newspapers are notorious for misquoting scientists.  I remember reading in the San Francisco Chronicle a number given in degrees fahrenheit for the temperature at "which all motion stops" was minus 260.7.  First, that's closer to the Celcius temp for absolute zero.  Second, it's still not correct (I think it's more like 273.15).  Third, absolute zero is the temperature at which all translation motion stops (we still have zero-point vibrational motion in molecules at that temperature.) 

Yes, -273.15 degrees C is the absolute point conversion for 0 K.  For fahrenheit, it is -459.67 degrees F.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 12:09:52 PM »

The article makes it sound as if fundamentalism is more the problem, which it is. The problem with the US is we have too many fundies, the ones who oppose evolution teaching.

A liberal Christian society would obviously be better than North Korea.

hahaha . . . "too many fundies."
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 12:58:25 PM »

The article mentions opposition to evolution. Who are the folks who oppose evolution and think the Earth is only 6000 years old? Not mainline/liberal Christians.

Of course it does - as I mentioned, the guy is a paleontologist. That's not what this 'study', and I use that term VERY loosely, is about - his argument is that the problems with U.S. society(higher murder rates for instance) stem from religion, which is crap and you know it.

Even more, there is only a small minority of truly hard-core religious folks out there who do not recognize evolution nor that the Earth is only a few thousand years old.  Most of the religious population are open-minded about things that go on in the world.  Too bad the non-religious types are not as open-minded.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 02:18:53 PM »

Never said you did.  It was my own thought.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 05:44:57 PM »

hahaha . . . you ok, angus?  Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies