AMA about transportation.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:59:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  AMA about transportation.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AMA about transportation.  (Read 957 times)
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2018, 12:41:58 PM »

Since specific AMAs are a thing now I guess I'll do this.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 01:06:35 PM »

Heavy rail, grade separated light rail, fully underground subways, streetcars, or Bus Rapid Transit?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 01:58:18 PM »

Best and worst transportation infrastructure systems (cities) in America?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »

Opinion of this meme?

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 05:45:54 PM »

bruh do u think I should take the midnight train going anywhere or should I take the noon train going anywhere? I hear the midnight one is not too safe n all.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 05:58:37 PM »

Heavy rail, grade separated light rail, fully underground subways, streetcars, or Bus Rapid Transit?
They all have their place and purpose, so I can't chose. Overall I would say that the grade separated modes are superior as they don't get in the way of traffic and traffic doesn't get in the way of them but sometimes there is no room to build grade separated. Ofc LRT and BRT are cheaper than heavy rail so it all depends on ridership. I don't really have a preference.
Based on public transport I have to give the nod to DC as the best. The system has good coverage, doesn't seem all that prone to delays, seems clean, and has never given me any problems on bus or subway. Honorable mention to NYC, if the MTA wasn't so prone to delays every day it could've gotten the top spot. Based on roads, I have to say Memphis. Despite a large population and pitiful relative public transport it seemingly has very low traffic.

The title of worst is much more difficult, I can't really say any one city is the worst. I will say that I'm not a fan of the infrastructure in my home town of Greenville, SC. The buses aren't convenient and don't seem to be doing much, and the roads get clogged and were not designed for the future at all.
I disagree with LA being chaotic good, or "good" in any sense. If anything I'd move it to lawful evil, its highway system appears to be orderly and follows a pattern but the traffic is still horrendous.
bruh do u think I should take the midnight train going anywhere or should I take the noon train going anywhere? I hear the midnight one is not too safe n all.
Take whatever train drops you off at the most convenient time, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 09:17:02 PM »

When in the future do you think we're going to have autonomus trucks that drive themselves like we saw in the movie Logan that is set in 2029?

https://jalopnik.com/how-the-cars-of-logan-grappled-with-the-very-real-futur-1793099275
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 10:49:44 PM »

Based on public transport I have to give the nod to DC as the best. The system has good coverage, doesn't seem all that prone to delays, seems clean, and has never given me any problems on bus or subway. Honorable mention to NYC, if the MTA wasn't so prone to delays every day it could've gotten the top spot. Based on roads, I have to say Memphis. Despite a large population and pitiful relative public transport it seemingly has very low traffic.

Huh, DC is good? I keep hearing that the DC Metro is one of the worst in the country. Are you referring to the non-subway aspects?

And going off of that question, which city has the best transportation infrastructure worldwide?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 11:56:23 PM »

Huh, DC is good? I keep hearing that the DC Metro is one of the worst in the country. Are you referring to the non-subway aspects?

WMATA was slowly brought to its knees by awful decisions by upper management as well as corruption, incompetence, and looting by the Amalgamated Transit Union.

All those benefits packages, undeserved overtime hours, and bloated pensions start adding up fast. Like, when I found out that more senior workers could increase their level of pension by working overtime, I was pretty pissed. So yeah labor costs were 74% of the massive $1.74 billion WMATA budget as of 2016.

Of course, the WMATA board has only abetted these rising costs, and because of that, there's very little money for much needed repair work -- work that needed to be done decades ago but wasn't because of incompetent management. This anecdote sums it up:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A general lack of accountability coupled with structural problems baked in from the beginning have put the Metro in a bad spot.

So yeah, sorry for the krazen-esque outrage about unions, but the ATU 689 is very worthy of berating. And the Metro still works, at least sorta, and when you think about the amount of area and the number of people it covers, it's a pretty valuable commodity for the DC area.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 11:57:20 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2018, 12:01:02 AM by heatcharger »

Anyway, have you ever played Cities: Skylines? It's a pretty cool city building game, but I really enjoyed creating interchanges and developing transit lines and stuff.

Oh, and what's your opinion on dynamic congestion pricing for toll roads?
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »

Anyway, have you ever played Cities: Skylines? It's a pretty cool city building game, but I really enjoyed creating interchanges and developing transit lines and stuff.

Oh, and what's your opinion on dynamic congestion pricing for toll roads?
I have yet to play that game. It certainly seems intriguing, and I've played other city builders, but I just haven't.

As for congestion pricing, I'm all for it if there's a good public transport alternative. It seems to have helped move people over where it has been implemented, but as I said there needs to be an alternative. So in, say my home city, I wouldn't want to do any of that until we sort out our transportation. I believe that it is best used in cities that have a decent public transport system but need to get people moving over (ie I could very easily see it being impalemented on I-110 in LA).

As for your question UWS, I could possibly see it being implemented by 2029. Our autonomous vehicular technology is improving rapidly, and it is now a reality. I believe that there will almost certainly be some form of autonomously driving trucks by 2029, but it is also fairly likely that they will still require a human monitor. I do believe that something like what you mentioned will be on the roads before 2050.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 09:07:17 PM »

Dude, play Cities: Skylines, it's the best city builder out there right now.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 10:56:19 PM »

I kno you've shown me some of your planned train routes for greenville, but can you share them with the rest of us, assuming you still have them ofc
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 11:41:30 PM »

WMATA was slowly brought to its knees by awful decisions by upper management as well as corruption, incompetence, and looting by the Amalgamated Transit Union.

All those benefits packages, undeserved overtime hours, and bloated pensions start adding up fast. Like, when I found out that more senior workers could increase their level of pension by working overtime, I was pretty pissed. So yeah labor costs were 74% of the massive $1.74 billion WMATA budget as of 2016.

Of course, the WMATA board has only abetted these rising costs, and because of that, there's very little money for much needed repair work -- work that needed to be done decades ago but wasn't because of incompetent management. This anecdote sums it up:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A general lack of accountability coupled with structural problems baked in from the beginning have put the Metro in a bad spot.

So yeah, sorry for the krazen-esque outrage about unions, but the ATU 689 is very worthy of berating. And the Metro still works, at least sorta, and when you think about the amount of area and the number of people it covers, it's a pretty valuable commodity for the DC area.

Considering I take the subway every single work week (and will continue to), it is not as bad as it used to be.  I can testify that it has much improved since the dark days when passengers were getting killed, and I am optimistic about its future.   
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 12:46:46 AM »

I just finished the written part of driver's ed in Texas yesterday. What all do I need to bring to the DMV to get my learner's permit?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies