Can Scientists be Religious?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:26:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Can Scientists be Religious?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Can Scientists be Religious?  (Read 3576 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 05:23:27 PM »

Yes, but I think that any scientist who is more than a soft believer (ie someone who is willing to admit that they could be wrong) holds conflicting views. People hold all sorts of conflicting views in spite of all evidence or reason, however, so I’m not sure this debate is framed properly.

Would a scientist who isn't necessarily religious (in the sense of subscribing to a religion's teachings, however liberally or conservatively) but is fairly set on believing a creator is the most likely explanation for the formation of our existence qualify as a soft believer or a - err - hard believer?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »

I suppose we can't now ask the scientists and other intellectuals and scholars working in Catholic and Protestant universities in Europe - or the scientists of the Islamic "Golden Age" - whether they truly believed in God.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 04:47:41 PM »

I suppose we can't now ask the scientists and other intellectuals and scholars working in Catholic and Protestant universities in Europe - or the scientists of the Islamic "Golden Age" - whether they truly believed in God.
...and they usually couldn't give an intelligent answer.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2018, 10:50:01 PM »

Isaac Newton was well known for his theological writings even as he was recognized as the greatest mathematical mind of his age. You can't ask him, but I think his writings speak on his behalf.

I have worked with a number of scientist-believers. One of my former experimental colleagues was also a member of my church.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 03:23:53 AM »

Yes, of course. The idea that a scientist must be an atheist/skeptic/agnostic as a job requirement is a deeply silly one.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies