Which Religion Makes The Most Logical Sense?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:26:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Which Religion Makes The Most Logical Sense?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Like or Dislike OP link?

Dislike

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Which Religion Makes The Most Logical Sense?  (Read 6232 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2018, 08:31:47 AM »

http://alternativeresearcher.com/which-religion-makes-the-most-logical-sense/

Well? (Yes, I know a deep subject!)

Smiley
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 08:38:41 AM »

I mean, people are only answering this as "Which one makes the most logical sense to you?" in the end.  For me, it is Christianity for a pretty simple reason: I have determined that a "Creator" is the most likely explanation for the Universe as we have come to know it, and I think that some of the description and insight into how God "is" in the New Testament comes closest to what I would imagine such a Deity to be like.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 02:49:15 PM »

Islam.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »

Orthodox Judaism in its concept of God, but definitely Christianity overall
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 10:27:07 PM »

Daoism (By which I also include Ruism) strikes me as the most logical because it isn't tied to any particular cosmology describing the origin or ending of the world we live in.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 01:58:39 PM »

I found the article confusing : it doesn't directly address logic.  He talks about "what fits my mindset."  Which is a fair enough thing to address, but it isn't the same thing.

What is the most logical will depend on what principles you are reasoning from.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 03:35:45 PM »

Christianity.
Because it is so shamelessly absurd.

A religion, that fits, what we regard as "logical", is anthropomorph. Christian dogmata are too absurd for being a human invention. But if we dig deeper, we have to find out, that they are indeed inevitable and make sense.

Someone is grinning on our "logic"...
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 10:43:43 PM »

He describes atheism like it is only defined as an illogical, dogmatic certainty that spirituality and deism don't exist. However, personally I consider myself an atheist but I'm not 100% certain there IS no god/afterlife, only that there probably isn't one and it doesn't make much sense considering what we know about science and the universe. Is it really dogmatic or illogical to have the materialist/scientific view of things that "Nothing immaterial exists in physics?"

I don't think it's dogmatic to be materialist, I just think it's correct... perhaps it would be dogmatic if I discounted the possibility of the afterlife entirely, but I think if we find material/scientific evidence for it then I'd change my mind.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 05:27:09 AM »

Christianity.
Because it is so shamelessly absurd.

A religion, that fits, what we regard as "logical", is anthropomorph. Christian dogmata are too absurd for being a human invention. But if we dig deeper, we have to find out, that they are indeed inevitable and make sense.

Someone is grinning on our "logic"...

Yes. “Logic” is a myth, albeit a useful one. Reality does not conform to our petty theories. The upper limit on the usefulness of thought processes based on logic is that what is “logical” is not defined in any meaningful way besides historical trend. It’s not useless, sure, but limited.

Modern Hinduism (since, say, Tagore) has done an excellent job of merging the reasonable limits of “logic” with subjective, spiritual abstractions.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 08:08:56 AM »

The lack of one.

The secularization of the world over the past 2 centuries and the progress that has accompanied it proves that.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 12:03:38 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2018, 12:08:08 PM by Blue3 »

Going just by the question, not reading the article... it's Buddhism and Taoism since the Four Noble Truths and the Tao Te Ching don't require anything supernatural to make them work. Adi Shankara's Hinduism also fits.

Also, logic is not a myth... ever look into a logical reasoning class in college? It's thinks like "if A=B and B=C then A=C." Very mathematical.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 12:12:39 PM »

I suspect that the question you're really asking (and the question people are really answering) is which religion is the simplest. In which case - and I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this - I must inform you all that life is far from simple.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 12:51:42 PM »

Going just by the question, not reading the article... it's Buddhism and Taoism since the Four Noble Truths and the Tao Te Ching don't require anything supernatural to make them work. Adi Shankara's Hinduism also fits.

Also, logic is not a myth... ever look into a logical reasoning class in college? It's thinks like "if A=B and B=C then A=C." Very mathematical.
Credulous.

If apple A is identical to apple B - then they are not identical, when A is eaten...
(And how can we know, that this world exists at all?)

Taoism and Buddhism are kosmosophical NonSense, every greek philosopher made more sense.
Small L
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »

If apple A is identical to apple B - then they are not identical, when A is eaten...
Oh boy..
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 01:14:33 PM »

Credulous.

Taoism and Buddhism are kosmosophical NonSense, every greek philosopher made more sense.

1. You're failing basic logic sense.

2. I just said original Buddhism and original Taoism and Advaita Hinduism don't require anything supernatural. Nothing cosmological. There's no reincarnation as the West poorly misunderstands it. Everything is everything, we all have consciousness, we are the consequences of others' decisions. Taoism focuses on being in the flow and natural living. Buddhism says to end suffering you should end desire. Hinduism says you already have the things you truly want because you are the universe, atman=brahman.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 04:11:34 PM »

How would the above religions solve the question of why there is something rather than nothing?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 04:33:53 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2018, 04:37:58 PM by Blue3 »

It doesn't matter in those religions.
Reality just naturally emerged, completely compatible with the theory of a godless Big Bang.

The Eastern Religions aren't concerned with the origin, or if there's even a clear origin. Their focus is on people... how a person can find meaning, purpose, and true joyful inner peace while sharing it with others.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »

Religion is not logical in itself but all have some element of truth to them.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 06:04:40 PM »

Reality just naturally emerged, completely compatible with the theory of a godless Big Bang.

The Eastern Religions aren't concerned with the origin, or if there's even a clear origin. Their focus is on people... how a person can find meaning, purpose, and true joyful inner peace while sharing it with others.

I would consider that a point against their logical sense.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 08:12:50 PM »

I would consider that a point against their logical sense.
How? It makes them more logical. They're limited in focus, concerned only what what we do know about.

Being overly-concerned with the creation of the universe is illogical to me... it's not inherently meaningful.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »

The obvious choice is whichever religion is closest to vague monotheism. In the world of Newtonian and pre-Newtonian natural philosophy, the idea of a physical world beholden to a single set of unwavering principles--in consonance with the moral principles that man was beholden to--was intuitive. I believe Socrates already demonstrated this in Euthryphro.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 07:19:14 AM »

The one which is closest to your culture, upbringing, country etc. because this is mainly personal view issue. Even cargo cults for societies which actually cultivate them are logical while for us they are rather not as we know how it actually works.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 07:48:30 AM »

That's not how religion works. Neither is it how logic works.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 03:16:59 PM »

Just my religion, obviously.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon