High-tech earthly paradise: what'd be your Purpose in life, & religions' ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:03:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  High-tech earthly paradise: what'd be your Purpose in life, & religions' ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: High-tech earthly paradise: what'd be your Purpose in life, & religions' ?  (Read 2040 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2018, 07:29:31 PM »
« edited: June 02, 2018, 08:59:05 PM by Blue3 »

Let's say everyone is granted Immortality (and perfect health, no signs of old age unless a person wants that appearance), and living in Post-Scarcity (there's no shortage of resources, everyone has equal access to resources, we have clean abundant energy, robots/nanotech/AI perform all necessary labor, colonization of space so there's room for everyone).

Even the dead have truly been resurrected.

Violations upon others, like murder and rape and injury, theft and trespassing and vandalism, or upon others' privacy, have become physically impossible.

Everything able to be discovered scientifically is discovered, even the entire universe is mapped and explored from the largest scale to the smallest detail.

All governments are voluntarily abolished because they are no longer needed, and so is money.

What would you do? What would be your purpose in life?
-finding joy and happiness, through fun and pleasant experiences and activities, enjoying nature, enjoying solitude or the company of others whenever they wish, training themselves through self-discipline to be happy no matter their situation?
-becoming creative in the arts, even designing whole new universes in virtual reality?
-building, maintaining, and improving relationships with others... family, friends, romance, children, perhaps trying to improve your compassion and kindness towards all, maybe seeking to improve your reputation?
-seeking to improve yourself, learning and improving your skills, becoming as self-sufficient as possible, even using all this time to independently verify all the facts of science, better understand yourself and integrate your subconscious, becoming a master of all trades, personally keep exploring and learning and meeting new people?
-choosing to hibernate for a long time, or choosing to scientifically "reincarnate" by transforming your body so it's much younger and somewhat different and with total amnesia until you come of age, so you can experience life from a fresh perspective again?
-joining a rebel movement that protests against some aspect of this system?
-something else, or a combination?

And how would the religions of the world adapt to these changes?
-What is the future of Christianity in this universe?
-What is the future of Islam?
-What is the future of Buddhism?
-What is the future of Hinduism?
-What is the future of all other religions, philosophies, and cultures?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 12:16:38 AM »

it sounds boring I think id want to kill myself lmao
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 02:04:57 PM »

This is the kind of topic that I spend my leisure time thinking about.
Traveling the world, the solar system, the galaxy and the far ends of the universe would be possible
and it would be possible at speeds much slower than the speed of light, if we could live forever
(or even indefinitely, right?).
If you spend enough time thinking about it, one hundred years is not that long to live considering all that has happened in the last 2 or 3 thousand years, and what might happen in the next two hundred to two thousand years.

Even fifty years from now, the world will be a very different place.

I like your idealism of a better world, or is it just a fantasy? Either way it sounds like the kind of world that I would rather live in than this one, although if a person sees the glass as half full, looking at the world from the top of some high mountain, or looking out at the ocean and the stars above can itself make a person glad to be alive and fill one with awe.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 07:43:49 PM »

Traveling the world, the solar system, the galaxy and the far ends of the universe would be possible
and it would be possible at speeds much slower than the speed of light, if we could live forever
If you spend enough time thinking about it, one hundred years is not that long to live considering all that has happened in the last 2 or 3 thousand years, and what might happen in the next two hundred to two thousand years.

I like your idealism of a better world, or is it just a fantasy? Either way it sounds like the kind of world that I would rather live in than this one, although if a person sees the glass as half full, looking at the world from the top of some high mountain, or looking out at the ocean and the stars above can itself make a person glad to be alive and fill one with awe.
Yeah, it's basically another way of asking "you're in heaven... what do you do now?"
Georg Ebner
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 09:57:58 PM »

it sounds boring I think id want to kill myself lmao
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 01:46:22 AM »

I'd be traveling like crazy until I'd seen all the corners.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 01:00:32 PM »

Yeah, it's basically another way of asking "you're in heaven... what do you do now?"

Well, in heaven you are outside of time and have direct access to God and thus eternal fulfillment, so it's not quite the same.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 03:17:41 PM »

I would go off the grid and become a survivalist.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »

True.  Without death as some sort of "final end" in this universe, the impetus to do anything at all is erased because preferences are allowed to become time-inconsistent without it ever catching up to you.  Why would I do anything today when I can delay it forever without consequence?

Living in this world would be total hell. 

Also, as an economist I'll say that the idea of "post-scarcity" is complete bunk.  If you transported the average person from the year 1400 to today they'd think they had just arrived in some sort of post-scarcity environment.  The limits of human want are truly boundless. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 06:15:39 PM »

Play games and go see things for myself.  I wouldn't be bored....I don't even understand the concept given the scenario.  I suppose maybe in a few million years, but I doubt it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 12:25:14 PM »

Play games and go see things for myself.  I wouldn't be bored....I don't even understand the concept given the scenario.  I suppose maybe in a few million years, but I doubt it.
And then you just reset.  Write yourself an instruction manual..then reset.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 12:55:30 PM »

True.  Without death as some sort of "final end" in this universe, the impetus to do anything at all is erased because preferences are allowed to become time-inconsistent without it ever catching up to you.  Why would I do anything today when I can delay it forever without consequence?

Also, as an economist I'll say that the idea of "post-scarcity" is complete bunk.  If you transported the average person from the year 1400 to today they'd think they had just arrived in some sort of post-scarcity environment.  The limits of human want are truly boundless. 

That’s such a weird outlook. I feel bad that you see life that way.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 05:45:55 PM »

I see it as more of a realistic outlook. There is a saying that "necessity is the mother of invention". While it is unfortunate that humans should hunger, suffer, and die, it is also this reality that encourages us to reach for the stars and work as hard as we can to do better. Without these factors shaping our world, life loses what makes it really enjoyable.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 11:39:33 PM »

I see it as more of a realistic outlook. There is a saying that "necessity is the mother of invention". While it is unfortunate that humans should hunger, suffer, and die, it is also this reality that encourages us to reach for the stars and work as hard as we can to do better. Without these factors shaping our world, life loses what makes it really enjoyable.
Yes, my motto mankind regarding:

Omnia expetere - nihil expectare.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2023, 06:56:55 PM »

Perhaps it's our fallen nature that we can't imagine good without evil, happiness without suffering, life without death.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies