Your opinion of Christianity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:32:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Your opinion of Christianity
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your opinion of Christianity  (Read 649 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2018, 02:59:34 AM »

What is your opinion on Christianity, a religion that went from persecuted cult to a worldwide religion that is responsible for the death of millions of people and involves worshipping a douchebag deity that has killed millions of people?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 03:17:05 AM »

What is your opinion on Christianity, a religion that went from persecuted cult to a worldwide religion that is responsible for the death of millions of people and involves worshipping a douchebag deity that has killed millions of people?

I can tell this is going to be a constructive discussion.

I almost feel like reporting this thread for obvious bait, but at this point why does it matter.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 03:32:23 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2018, 03:42:54 AM by The Arizonan »

I almost feel like reporting this thread for obvious bait, but at this point why does it matter.

Why is this considered baiting? That paragraph reflects how I feel about Christianity, which I stopped practicing a long time ago. Evangelicals (who overwhelmingly threw their support behind Donald Trump) and Westboro Baptist Church are part of why I've been turned off from Christianity.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 04:22:11 AM »

Why is this considered baiting? That paragraph reflects how I feel about Christianity, which I stopped practicing a long time ago. Evangelicals (who overwhelmingly threw their support behind Donald Trump) and Westboro Baptist Church are part of why I've been turned off from Christianity.

Because the OP was clearly intended to provoke.  You are probably about as likely to change the minds of Christians here as we are to change yours.

All I will say is that, as someone whose opinion of evangelicalism is almost - almost - completely negative... the Westboro Baptist Church is in no way a common reflection of evangelical Christian beliefs and values.  As far as social, political, or religious attitudes are concerned, you cannot paint any single religion or religious denomination with a broad brush.

(Except for scam "religions" like Scientology, of course.)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 04:44:44 AM »

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 08:14:55 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2018, 09:40:44 AM by Laughter will triumph over pain »

Any criticism against Christianity is going to met with a fiercer opposition, on the board, than criticism against the atheist minority. That is blatantly obvious. Atheists are expected to remain like timid sheep while Christians here can say whatever they want, no matter how extreme.

The best defense is a good offensive, and to defend non-Christian views one can't help but be offensive, if attacked by Christians.

Are we to remain "passive-aggressive" or say what we really think?
The anti-atheist puts the atheist between a rock and a hard place.
Fierce fighting between those of contrary political views is tolerated, but religion is much too "holy" to be treated likewise.

EDIT: I don't know if there are any Christian pacifists here, although many here respect the Amish. Obviously not all Christians are pacifists, but some are. The point is that being pro-war is a lot worse than being anti-Christian, since the former leads to death and destruction, while the latter only hurts the feelings of those who are thin-skinned.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 02:54:35 PM »

I love how people keep bringing up WBC as a "representative example" of Protestant Christianity when in reality it has literally less than 100 members.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies