Netherlands Plans Expansion of Child Euthanasia Policy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:43:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Netherlands Plans Expansion of Child Euthanasia Policy  (Read 7279 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2005, 04:18:25 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170812,00.html

from AP via Fox

Thursday, September 29, 2005

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands — The Dutch government intends to expand its current euthanasia policy, setting guidelines for when doctors may end the lives of terminally ill newborns with the parents' consent.

A letter outlining the new directives will be submitted to parliament for discussion by mid-October, but the new policy will not require a vote or change of law, Dutch Health Ministry spokeswoman Annette Dijkstra told The Associated Press on Thursday.

The Netherlands became the first nation to legalize euthanasia for adults  under some conditions in 2001, and the latest move is likely to spark an outcry from the Vatican, right-to-life proponents and advocacy groups for the handicapped.

Euthanasia is banned in most countries, although Belgium legalized it under strict conditions in 2002. Switzerland allows passive assistance to terminally ill people who have expressed a wish to die.

In the United States, Oregon is alone in allowing physician assisted suicide, but its law is under constant challenge and the U.S. Supreme Court is to hear arguments against it Wednesday.

The change in Dutch policy is especially significant because it will provide the model for how the country treats other cases in which patients are unable to say whether they want to live or die, such as those involving the mentally retarded or elderly people who have become demented.

The governing conservative Christian Democrat party — which fought legalization when it was in the opposition — will embrace the guidelines, known as the Groningen Protocol, drawn up last year by doctors at the Groningen University Medical Center.

Under the protocol, euthanasia would be permissible when a child is terminally ill with no prospect of recovery and suffering great pain, when two sets of doctors agree the situation is hopeless and when parents give their consent.

The Dutch Health Ministry has postponed this decision several times and wishes to control the release of information around the policy change, which is still being finalized.

But Dijkstra confirmed the broad lines of the guidelines after details began leaking to the Dutch press and to some members of the medical community who have been involved in the long-running debate over the issue.

The government will establish a vetting commission — modeled on commissions currently in place for adult euthanasia — to determine whether conditions have been met in each case and to refer the case to public prosecutors if they do not. But unlike with adult euthanasia, prosecutors will not be bound to follow the commission's judgment that conditions have been satisfied.

"The public prosecutor's office will always make an independent decision," Dijkstra said. "The ending of a life must occur with the utmost of caution."

American ethicist and pediatrician Dr. Chris Feudtner of the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia said he hoped the Dutch government would rethink its position.

"I admire the Dutch desire for openness in addressing what is an incredibly difficult issue, but I categorically do not endorse ending people's lives with the argument that it's alleviating their suffering," he told the AP.

"I think too often the impulse is to resort to extreme measures because we're not being effective enough in the management of pain."

He said removing life support is a possibility in cases parallel to that of coma patient Terri Schiavo, for instance if a child is born with just the stem of a brain. But active euthanasia is "prone to abuse," he said.

"If you allow it to occur, it will occur in cases where it is not ethical, period," he said.

The Netherlands set up adult euthanasia vetting commissions in 1998, well before the practice was formally legalized under a 2001 law, which took effect the following year.

The commissions report about 2,000 people are euthanized in this country of 16 million each year, using a mix of sedatives and a lethal dose of muscle relaxant. But independent studies suggest the number of unreported cases is higher.

Cases of euthanasia for "people with no free will" — such as infants and severely demented or retarded people — were left in a legal gray area by the law because they were so controversial.

They remain classified as murder, and doctors who carried out such killings were required to report themselves to the authorities for potential prosecution.

Government-sponsored studies in the 1990s and repeated in 2001 estimated there are 15 to 20 such infant killings in any year. Just 22 cases were reported to the Justice Ministry between 1997 and 2004 — most involving infants with severe damage to the brain and spine from spina bifida — and the ministry decided against prosecuting any of them.

The decision was based on precedents set when doctors were taken to court for euthanizing elderly patients and were either acquitted or found to have acted in good conscience. Judges ruled the level of guilt was so small it did not merit punishment.

The main author of the protocol, Dr. Eduard Verhagen, said it was intended to remove the confusion surrounding what is permissible.

"We think the decision is of such incredible importance that the social responsibility of the doctor should be openly discussed and assessed," he said.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 04:20:55 PM »

The armpit of Europe for sure.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 04:30:02 PM »

191. Denmark
192. Sweden (from 193)
193. Netherlands (from 192)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 04:35:07 PM »

191. Denmark
192. Sweden (from 193)

What does that mean?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 04:50:41 PM »

191. Denmark
192. Sweden (from 193)

What does that mean?

I presume that's his list of "worst countries" or summet similer.

This whole "euthanasia" crap is pretty disturbing though...
Jens
Angola

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 06:20:31 PM »

191. Denmark
192. Sweden (from 193)
LOL - we are so sinful... (but the Swedes are worse, so that's ok)
Jens
Angola

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 06:26:17 PM »

Anywat legalised euthanasia is an interesting issue. As it is today disguised euthanasia is rather commom. You basically give the terminally ill person an overdosis painkillers fx morphin, typically after asking the relatives if the doctors should give the terminally ill person enough to easen the pain. The question is ofcourse where is the limit. Well, I don't really know how to define when it's ok and when it's not.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 06:26:56 PM »

So we're now doing abortions after birth.  *shrug*
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 08:05:27 PM »

Disgusting.  Obviously all euthanasia should be banned.  You allow some of it and now some screwball government thinks it's okay to kill children with the parents' consent.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 12:21:07 PM »

Whilst I'm no fan of this, I do support the availability of euthanasia for terminally ill adults. If somebody is dying of a pretty chronic, drawn out disease then I feel that they should have the option of passing into the next world without too much suffering.

Certainly, many countries, including the UK already have euthanasia by default because of drugs that doctors use in pain management, and often a doctor will just finish a patient off towards the end under this premise. This is a somewhat bizarre situation as seemingly most people are quite content with that this should happen, but yet people who suffer from conditions like MS have littel recourse but to go on living with a low quality of life, not quite in a position that a doctor can  finish them off
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 12:25:16 PM »

Disgusting.  Obviously all euthanasia should be banned.  You allow some of it and now some screwball government thinks it's okay to kill children with the parents' consent.

What's going on with Holland? First, you get polygamists, and now THIS?
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 06:58:40 PM »

I think we should expand this idea to teh people who think it is a good idea.
Soup18
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 05:12:56 AM »

Holland should be nuked
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 07:00:56 AM »

I support euthanasia and assisted suicide i'm afraid. So for me Holland is making a progresive choice.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 08:02:49 AM »

I support euthanasia and assisted suicide i'm afraid. So for me Holland is making a progresive choice.

Then in your eyes Hitler was making progress as well. Hitler allowed euthanasia of infants as well. We already know the Dutch don't believe in prosecuting murderers no shock then they want to kill infants and marry homosexuals.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2005, 08:42:49 AM »

Then in your eyes Hitler was making progress as well. Hitler allowed euthanasia of infants as well. We already know the Dutch don't believe in prosecuting murderers no shock then they want to kill infants and marry homosexuals.
And then he pulled the Hitler card Roll Eyes
1) Hitler allowed the brutal murder of Jews, Romas, any that disagreed with him ect
2) The notion that the Netherlands don't prosecute murderers are just silly. Disagree with the verdict and the time they serve, but murder is a quite serious crime in the Netherlands
3) kiiling infants Roll Eyes having a bad day, ey?!
4) my my marrying homosexuals - what has that to do with euthanasia? could this be the decline and fall of Western Civilization Wink
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2005, 08:44:16 AM »

And then he pulled the Hitler card Roll Eyes
1) Hitler allowed the brutal murder of Jews, Romas, any that disagreed with him ect
2) The notion that the Netherlands don't prosecute murderers are just silly. Disagree with the verdict and the time they serve, but murder is a quite serious crime in the Netherlands
3) kiiling infants Roll Eyes having a bad day, ey?!
4) my my marrying homosexuals - what has that to do with euthanasia? could this be the decline and fall of Western Civilization Wink

Hitler started out with the legalization of euthanasia for infants. The cases are very similar and I beg you to prove me wrong.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2005, 08:44:41 AM »

You don't support child euthanasia do you?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2005, 08:48:58 AM »

And to be honest Jens if I were to ever visit Europe I'd plan to stay very far away from that despicable nation. My god that place must be awful and I'd never want to give my money to a nation that support such disgusting practices.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2005, 08:53:52 AM »

I know of cases when early born brain damaged children are kept alive for years where putting them out of their missery would be a good thing. As I say earlier in this thread, I look upon it as a very difficult thing, but I believe that most of you Americans are overreacting (FOX'ing it, if that is a valid therm)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2005, 08:55:15 AM »

Putting kids "out of their misery" with the parents' consent strikes me as a great invasion of disability rights.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2005, 08:55:59 AM »

I know of cases when early born brain damaged children are kept alive for years where putting them out of their missery would be a good thing. As I say earlier in this thread, I look upon it as a very difficult thing, but I believe that most of you Americans are overreacting (FOX'ing it, if that is a valid therm)

Read this article Jens, it seems the Dutch are in good company.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2005, 08:56:55 AM »

And to be honest Jens if I were to ever visit Europe I'd plan to stay very far away from that despicable nation. My god that place must be awful and I'd never want to give my money to a nation that support such disgusting practices.
A pitty for you. The Netherlands are a beatiful country, I have visited on several ocations and you would easily be able to find people that agree with you by the way, but I personally wouldn't let political issues stop me from meting people
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2005, 09:00:24 AM »

Um.. wouldn't that kill everybody and not just the babies?  Kinda defeating the purpose there.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2005, 09:00:42 AM »

Read this article Jens, it seems the Dutch are in good company.
Not comparable. The Nazis used force and as part of an ideology of "pureness." The Dutch legislation aquire the consent of the parents and two doctors
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies