O! Say Can You See
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:08:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  O! Say Can You See
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: O! Say Can You See  (Read 9693 times)
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2018, 07:30:10 PM »

Scott Brown set the piece of paper down and thought about the list. He had agreed to submit to vetting for being the Republican Vice Presidential nominee, but Rubio's shortlist had leaked, and Brown's name was not on the list. There were five names on the list:

• Senator Bob Corker of Tennessee
  • Governor Nikki Haley of South Carolina
  • Senator Rob Portman of Ohio
  • Governor Brian Sandoval of Nevada
  • Senator John Thune of South Dakota

Corker was currently the chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and would bring his wealth of foreign policy knowledge to the ticket. Unlike the other two senators on the list, Corker was not up for re-election this year, meaning that the GOP wouldn't have to suddenly choose another candidate to replace him. However, he had also only served in the Senate for a little longer than Rubio, and him being from Tennessee, in addition to being solidly Republican with no chance of it going to the Democrats, wouldn't provide much regional balance to the ticket.

Haley could certainly help bring ethnic minorities over to the ticket, in addition to bringing over female voters. She was also only a year younger than Rubio, which could help portray the ticket as a youthful and energetic one ready to bring change to Washington, similar to the Clinton-Gore ticket in the 90s. But, like Corker and Tennessee, her bring from South Carolina would provide even less regional balance to the ticket and her lack of Washington experience, combined with only a single term from Rubio, could portray the ticket as inexperienced.

Portman hailed from the crucial swing state of Ohio, which could help put the two most important swing states in the country in the GOP column. He also brought a wealth of experience, especially in the area of economics, as well as experience in both the executive and legislative branches. He was also on Romney's shortlist four years ago, proving that he was up to the task. But he would have to stop running for re-election if Rubio chose him, potentially opening up his seat to a Democratic pickup.

Sandoval came from the key swing state of Nevada, potentially putting the state into play and providing some regional balance to the ticket. He also came with a legal background, having served as Nevada Attorney General and as a judge, which could help portray the GOP as the law and order party, especially after the Clinton indictment. He could also help swing the Hispanic vote to the GOP. However, like Haley, a Rubio-Sandoval ticket could be portrayed as inexperienced and an all Hispanic ticket might turn off some voters.

Thune was currently the third highest ranking member in the Senate Republican leadership. He was approaching the end of his second term in office, in addition to six years in the House. His experience in Washington could prove valuable to the ticket, and him not running for re-election wouldn't jeopardize the seat. But South Dakota only had three electoral votes and they were going to go for Rubio anyway, and some people in Washington thought Thune was more interested in becoming Majority Leader in the Senate.

If Rubio's smart, thought Brown, he'll go with Portman. While Portman would have to stop running for re-election, his Washington experience and hailing from Ohio would help Rubio significantly. It would also reassure voters that there would be a man with experience in the White House. Portman could also help win over working-class voters in the Rust Belt States.

If Rubio picks Portman, Brown continued, I'd feel very good about our chances in November.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2018, 06:35:25 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2018, 07:19:16 PM by Sherrod Brown 2020 »

Xavier Becerra finished reading, paused for a moment, then read again. After reading it a second time, he took his glasses off and leaned back, surprised at what he just read.

I'm on the shortlist?

Becerra had agreed to be vetted for Vice President, but he never thought he would be a serious contender. But, Martin O'Malley's shortlist of potential running mates had leaked, and his name was there. There were five names on the shortlist:

• Congressman Xavier Becerra of California
  • Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio
  • Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York
  • Senator Martin Heinrich of New Mexico
  • Governor Terry McAuliffe of Virginia

Becerra thought about what he could bring to the ticket. He was Hispanic, so he could help keep Hispanics who might think of voting for Rubio in the Democratic fold. He had also been serving the House for over 20 years, which would give O'Malley an experienced voice to listen to. He was also from the Western United States, providing regional balance to the Eastern O'Malley. But he also knew that he had some disadvantages. He was an unknown to the American people where some of the others on the list were more well known. He also represented part of Los Angeles, in one of the most Democratic states in the country, and probably couldn't bring another state into the Democratic fold.

Brown was from Ohio, and with Florida most definitely going for favorite son Rubio, Ohio was now a must win for the Democrats in the fall. Brown had also served in both the House and Senate, also providing an experienced voice as well as a progressive voice to try and reach the left-leaning side of the party. Brown's background could also help reach working class voters in the rest of the Rust Belt states. But, if Brown were to become Vice President, then Republican John Kasich would get to appoint his successor, and Ohio was also fairly close to Maryland, not providing much of a regional balance.

Gillibrand would definitely help keep female voters with the Democrats, especially after the Clinton indictment. She was also one of the younger finalists, which could work in O'Malley's favor. Additionally, unlike Brown and Heinrich, if she were to become VP, then a Democrat would be appointed to take her place. But she was more moderate in the House before becoming more liberal in the Senate, which could be seen as flip-flopping and having a ticket from two liberal states, especially with Rubio coming from a swing state, may not be to the Democrats' benefit.

Heinrich would provide regional balance to the ticket, being from the western state of New Mexico, and was also one of the younger finalists, giving the ticket some youthfulness. He could also help keep New Mexico in the Democratic column. But he had also only been in the Senate since 2013, with only two terms in the House before that, which wouldn't give the ticket much experience and there were concerns he could be too moderate for parts of the Democratic Party. Additionally, Republican Susana Martinez would get to pick his replacement.

McAuliffe could work to reinforce the moderate wing of the Democratic Party, especially those who favored Hillary Clinton in the primaries, being a close ally and friend of the Clintons. He had also shown in the past to be great at fundraising, which would definitely help O'Malley in the general election. But he was also the most moderate of the finalists, which wouldn't help with the progressive wing of the party. Adding another governor wouldn't give the ticket any Washington experience, and, being from Virginia, he would provide zero regional balance to the ticket.

Becerra knew there was a chance any of them could be picked, and he wondered if O'Malley had a preference among the five left, but he felt confident about his chances. I'd be the best running mate against Rubio, he thought. But O'Malley had said he would announce his running mate after the RNC, leaving a month left before his announcement. Becerra could only wait, and hope that he'd get picked.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2018, 07:45:55 PM »

"Schultz!?" cried out White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough. "Are you absolutely sure?"

"Yes, I am," replied the aide. "I asked multiple people-confidentially of course-and the trail lead back to DNC Chairwoman Schultz being behind the attempt to dump O'Malley."

"Alright. Give me everything you have, and I'll handle it from here," McDonough instructed. The aide nodded and left the room, leaving McDonough alone in his office, who slumped back in his chair.

This is f**king ridiculous was the thought running through his head. Schultz is in charge of the DNC. She should be trying to help O'Malley, not trying to sabotage him! By leading the movement to dump him, she could have done significant damage to the Democrats' chances of holding the White House for a third term.

Fortunately, the joint endorsement from Obama, Biden, Kerry, and Gore seemed to have put a stop to it, but there was no way to undo what she did. Debbie Wasserman Schultz had attempted to sabotage the presumptive Democratic nominee for President of the United States. McDonough was certain of one thing: Schultz's days as Chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee were numbered.

There wasn't much he could do right now, but he knew one thing he had to do: He had to tell the President. He headed over to the Oval Office and walked in. Obama sat behind the Resolute Desk, reading a memo. "Excuse me sir," he said.

"Hey Denis," said Obama as he put down the memo and looked over to McDonough.

"Sir, if you recall, you asked me to investigate why some Democrats wanted to oust O'Malley from the Presidential ticket."

"Yes, I do," replied Obama. "Did you find something?"

"Yes sir I did," said McDonough, "and you are not going to like it."
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2018, 02:24:39 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2018, 08:47:51 PM by Sherrod Brown 2020 »

Marco Rubio stood waiting patiently for his introduction to finish up. Today's rally was going to be the first rally with Rubio and his running mate. A text alert sent last night had already alerted his supporters to who he had chosen, but today was the big announcement. Rubio had a small lead in both the electoral vote and the popular vote, and today's announcement could give him a bit of an edge.

Rubio heard his name being called and the crowds broke into applause. With a sense of confidence, he walked out on stage and waved at the crowds. He stopped to shake a few hands, then walked up to the microphone. "Hello Nashville! It's great to be here with you today!" Rubio began.

"We've been working hard to get our message of change out to the American people and it's working! I hear from Americans who say they want a better life for themselves, for their children, and their grandchildren, and we are going to do that! But that's not all I've been doing. During that time, I was looking for a running mate who would stand up for the American people, who would help us get American back on track. Well, I'm pleased to announce that I found that running mate!" Rubio went on for a bit to talk about his selection, their experiences in government, how they had been standing up for the people during their years in government, and how they would continue to do so.

"And now," Rubio began to finish, "please join me in welcoming my running mate and the next Vice President of the United States..."

"Bob Corker!"
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2018, 10:39:03 AM »
« Edited: January 18, 2019, 07:48:34 PM by Sherrod Brown 2020 »

RNC Chairman Reince Priebus sat and watched with satisfaction. The Republican National Convention was on its last night and the convention has gone smoothly. Beyond some protests outside in Cleveland, there were no problems in the proceedings. Rubio was nominated on the first ballot by acclamation and Bob Corker was nominated for Vice President by acclamation. Right now, the convention waited for Rubio to take the stage and give his acceptance speech.

Part of his satisfaction was coming from the fact that Priebus was fairly confident that the Democratic National Convention wouldn't go over as well. Their nominee had essentially been chosen by default, and then there was the rumors that people in the DNC were trying to overthrow O'Malley. Priebus had heard rumors that Schultz had been behind the attempt to dump O'Malley. If that's true, they're even more screwed.

Priebus knew that Rubio was the best candidate for the GOP. His youth provided a good contrast to John McCain and Mitt Romney. He would definitely carry Florida and could carry some of the swing states out west. He also had a better change of carrying a message of change, delivering what Obama never did.

Just then, the speaker system came back on: "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the next President of the United States, Marco Rubio!" With that, Rubio walked out on stage, and Priebus and all the others stood up and gave a standing ovation.

General Election Polling-July 22, 2016

Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL)/Senator Bob Corker (R-TN): 286 EVs, 50.7%
Former Governor Martin O'Malley (D-MD)/???: 196 EVs, 45.6%
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2018, 06:41:43 PM »

With a quick breath, Martin O'Malley walked out onto the stage. The Republican National Convention in Cleveland ended two days ago, and now, Cleveland was going to be home to a major announcement. He walked over to the microphone, stopping to shake some hands along the way. Everyone knew what was going to be announced, they were just waiting for the moment to happen.

O'Malley walked up to the microphone, and waited a few moments for the applause to end. Then, he began. "Good morning Cleveland! It is a pleasure to be back here in the great state of Ohio! We may be down in the polls, but know that we are out of this race! I will keep fighting till the last votes are counted, and I know you'll keep fighting with me!"

The crowd began applauding again, and O'Malley waited for them to slow down before continuing. "But I need someone to carry on the fight with. For months, I searched for a running mate, someone who will stand by me and someone who will stand by you as Vice President! Well, I'm pleased to report that I've found that man, and I am both pleased and honored to announce my running mate in the 2016 election..."

"Sherrod Brown!"
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2018, 05:44:39 PM »

Debbie Wasserman Schultz, chairwoman of the DNC, sat in her office alone, wondering what her next move would be.

Democrats across the country were calling for her to resign. The news that she had tried to dump Martin O'Malley as the Democratic nominee had leaked. The Republicans were surprising subdued in the media, but Schultz had no doubt that they were thrilled that this had come right before the Democratic National Convention.

But Schultz was determined to stay in her position. She had done great things for the party, and she was not determined to have her tenure as Chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee end this way.

Just then, her phone rang. She leaned over and pick it up. "Hello?" she said into the phone.

"Chairwoman Schultz," the voice on the other end said.

Sh*t was the first thought running through her mind. Realizing that she wasn't going to like how this phone call was going to end, she spoke again. "Hello Mr. President."

"I'm going to make this very brief," said Obama. He sounded more pissed off than she had ever heard him before. "Regardless of what you have done for the party before, you are doing more harm than good right now."

"Mr. President, you know that I..." she began.

"Save it," said Obama cutting her off. "At this point, you are harming the Democratic Party and there can't be bad press before the convention. You cannot continue as chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee."

"Are you asking me to resign?" she asked.

"No, I am telling you to resign," replied Obama.

Schultz could see there was no way out of this. She could have resisted calls for her resignation. But with Obama telling her to resign, it was clear how this was going to end.

"Yes sir," Schultz replied in resignation.

"And you will do it before the convention begins," said Obama. Without another word, Obama hung up the phone and the line went dead. Schultz placed the phone down and slumped back in her chair.

Her days as chairwoman of the DNC were over.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2019, 07:47:51 PM »

"Francis Scott Key once said 'My countrymen, we hold a rich deposit in trust for ourselves and for all our brethren of mankind. It is the fire of liberty. If it becomes extinguished, our darkened land will cast a mournful shadow over the nations. If it lives, its blaze will enlighten and gladden the whole earth.' Together, we will make sure that the fire of liberty keeps going for all Americans. Thank you and God bless the United States!" and with that, the Democrats gathered in Philadelphia broke into cheers and applause. The music began to play and Martin O'Malley, now the Democratic nominee for President of the United States, stepped away and began to wave to the crowds.

Going into Philadelphia, many in the Democratic Party worried about how the recent scandals would affect them. Hillary Clinton was still in heaps of legal trouble and the ensuing attempt to get rid of O'Malley. But Debbie Wasserman Schultz resigned before the convention started and Obama's endorsement of O'Malley made it clear he was to be the nominee. For obvious reasons, the Clintons didn't attend the convention, but Former VP Al Gore worked to make sure that the Clinton wing of the party would support O'Malley. The selection of Sherrod Brown, nominated by acclamation for Vice President, helped to convince the Bernie Sanders and the Elizabeth Warrens in the party to support O'Malley.

At that moment, Sherrod Brown, now the nominee for Vice President, walked out on stage and greeted O'Malley. The two embraced, then, as a ticket, walked around the stage waving to the crowds. Both O'Malley and Brown could feel the energy in the room. Any doubts the Democrats had about the ticket was gone, and they were ready to take on Marco Rubio.

General Election Polling-July 28, 2016

Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL)/Senator Bob Corker (R-TN): 245 EVs, 49.1%
Former Governor Martin O'Malley (D-MD)/Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH): 226 EVs, 48.3%
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2019, 09:13:52 PM »

Jon Tester once again looked up and down the map of the United States Senate seats up for election in 2016. As the chairman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, it was his job to try to get as many Democrats elected to the Senate as possible.

Fortunately for the Democrats, they only had to defend 10 seats this cycle, and 8 of them were in reliable Democratic states. With Sanders and King caucusing with them, the Democrats would need to win 5 seats to take control of the Senate. The Democrats had also recruited some strong candidates to contest some of the GOP seats. Feingold, Sestak, Kander, among others. And Rubio's giving us one more opportunity Tester thought. Being the Republican nominee meant that Rubio wasn't running for re-election to his Senate seat, which Tester hoped could translate into a pickup.

He heard a knock on the door. Turning around, he saw Harry Reid, retiring Senator from Nevada, standing in the doorway. "Well Jon, how it's looking."

"I think we can write off defeating Grassley and Portman," Tester said, turning back to the map. "Grassley always gets over 60% of the vote in Iowa and I don't see that changing this year. As for Ohio, I don't know what Strickland has been doing, but Portman has been leading him by high single digits for some time now. Now, the good news. I feel very confident we'll defeat Kirk in Illinois, and I wouldn't rule us out in Pennsylvania, Missouri, and Wisconsin."

"Well, that's certainly some good news," replied Reid.

"Yes it is," said Tester, looking back to Reid. "We just don't have to blow our chances."
ClassicGOPer
Rookie
New Zealand

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2019, 03:31:40 PM »

awesome tl!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies