What would it take for you to move to another country?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:49:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What would it take for you to move to another country?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What would it take for you to move to another country?  (Read 3722 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2018, 04:10:51 PM »

In the best-case scenario a cool job and/or a great partner. In the worst-case scenario a pogrom.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2018, 04:46:47 PM »

If I had a god job offer, I’d certainly consider it. Also, being able to speak the language is important, and climate.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2018, 05:09:04 PM »

Significant Other would be a pretty easy push for me, although it depends on the country. Western Europe / Iceland / Canada would be a very easy sell, 3rd world country / China / Russia would be a very tough sell. I'd say the easiest places for a SO to convince me to move right now is Canada, Iceland, Norway and Sweden.

Interesting opinion on China. I'd understand if you don't want to live under the CCP and the Great Firewall (or the clouds of smog for that matter), and gaining citizenship as a non-Chinese person is extremely hard (harder than Japan even), but so long as the economy keeps growing I think it's in a way different league from Russia (authoritarian minus the economic growth) or most of the "third world." And it's seriously a beautiful country, with many natural and man-made wonders. If I had to move, China would definitely be on my list. But I do have the advantage of being Chinese and knowing (some of) the language, so again, China isn't for everyone.

On the flip side, while Western Europe, especially Scandinavia, is appealing with the social safety net and all, the racism there does make me apprehensive. There's been conflicts against Chinese people in France and Italy, for example. If I had to move to Western Europe, the UK, Germany, and the Nordic countries would be my top choices.

And for the same reason, it'll be a hard sell to get me to move to Eastern Europe, as they have most of the disadvantages of Western Europe (even more xenophobia, namely) without any of the advantages.

At least Iceland is a very beautiful country, but I don't know how restrictive their immigration policy would be.

As such, my list would probably put Canada first (diverse population with lots of Asians, extensive social safety net, strong economy), then China. After that, I don't know. I already addressed Western Europe, and New Zealand sounds fun (Australia has a bad reputation of racism, which puts it lower on my list). I'd love to go to (South) Korea thanks to their amazing culture, but there's the language barrier and the fact that it's difficult to get a non-teaching job there as a foreigner, so realistically that's an out-there possibility.

So I'd move for the basic reasons: economic opportunities or if I'm forced to go as a refugee. (If Trump and his ilk stay in power, the latter may be a real possibility). As for the SO idea, I think it'll be easier for me to bring her to America and sponsor her for citizenship (though again, if Trump wishes to make it exponentially harder, especially for myself, who's a product of "chain migration," I may as well jump ship).
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2018, 05:17:20 PM »

China's corrupt, authoritarian government is a big turnoff for me. It's not the only issue I have with the country, but a big one nonetheless. I'm not sure how a politically active person with my set of beliefs is supposed to fit in there. Ditto for Russia, which at times I think better resembles a large criminal organization with nukes more than a government.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »

My wife is absolutely against even moving out of Nova Scotia, so it would have to be some sort of persecution or political upheaval.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »

It'd be difficult for me to leave the Anglosphere, for obvious reasons. However I wouldn't immediately discard a job offer in France, Germany, Switzerland, most of Western Europe if the circumstances were captivating enough.

But I'd have to be extremely compelled by a new situation either professionally or romantically to leave the generally high quality of life I enjoy here in the US.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2018, 07:22:19 PM »

China's corrupt, authoritarian government is a big turnoff for me. It's not the only issue I have with the country, but a big one nonetheless. I'm not sure how a politically active person with my set of beliefs is supposed to fit in there.

There's always Taiwan Tongue
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2018, 09:32:21 PM »

China's corrupt, authoritarian government is a big turnoff for me. It's not the only issue I have with the country, but a big one nonetheless. I'm not sure how a politically active person with my set of beliefs is supposed to fit in there.

Hong Kong is great, too! (but weird, politically)
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2018, 09:42:50 PM »

And for the really elite among us there's always Macau.

(Which brings up the interesting observation that nobody has mentioned "tax evasion" and the like as reasons yet.)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2018, 10:42:44 PM »

It would take a hell of a lot to get me to leave
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2018, 06:12:20 AM »

A terrorist attack on our public transportation.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2018, 06:14:57 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2018, 06:42:28 PM by Zyzz »

It would take a hell of a lot to get me to leave

What about a Muslim Gay Communist who came into power via a coup detat and declared himself emperor for life and instituted Sharia law?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2018, 12:50:48 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2018, 01:22:36 PM by Santander »

(Which brings up the interesting observation that nobody has mentioned "tax evasion" and the like as reasons yet.)

The US is one of the few countries that exercises the immoral practice of worldwide taxation on its subjects (i.e. US persons as defined by the IRS), so this is largely impossible to do legally. It is also illegal to renounce US citizenship for tax purposes, and renunciation of citizenship typically results in a quasi-lifetime ban from the US.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2018, 01:21:17 PM »

An opportunity.  I'd do it in a heartbeat.  I've studied abroad, and I probably will live in another country for a few years at some point.  Once I reitre I might do the Peace Corps.  I definitely will be abroad a lot, even if I'm not living in another country.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »

If I could live anywhere, I'd want to go to a major developed country with a not too cold climate, so either Australia, New Zealand, France, Italy, Greece, Spain, and Portugal would work. I'd also be open to the Philippines and the South Pacific but those are less developed. Of course, for many of those countries, I'd have to learn a new language.

China is out since I'm not learning Chinese anytime soon, but I like how no one has mentioned that yet in this thread.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2018, 01:31:56 PM »

Every young white American should spend at least six months to a year in East Asia (preferably Greater China) doing anything but teaching English or some "save the world" kind of bullsh**t. (real expat job/secondment, foreign service, international internship, academic program, etc.) Everyone I know who's done it is a far more developed individual than those who have not. I say white because anyone who is not white will have a miserable time due to the extreme levels of racism in those countries.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2018, 01:52:08 PM »

Every young white American should spend at least six months to a year in East Asia (preferably Greater China) doing anything but teaching English or some "save the world" kind of bullsh**t. (real expat job/secondment, foreign service, international internship, academic program, etc.) Everyone I know who's done it is a far more developed individual than those who have not. I say white because anyone who is not white will have a miserable time due to the extreme levels of racism in those countries.

Outside of FS (which I’ve considered), where would you recommend looking for work like this among the generally unqualified? And why that region in particular?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2018, 03:37:16 PM »

One of my good high school friends (and college roommate freshman year) is White/ethnically European/whatever but was born in China and lived there until he was in high school because his parents were missionaries.  He loves East Asia.  He has some crazy stories about what he could get away with as a White person in China compared to non-Whites.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2018, 09:43:24 PM »

China is out since I'm not learning Chinese anytime soon, but I like how no one has mentioned that yet in this thread.

I did?

Totally agree with your first part (though I'd say even teaching English can bring a positive experience, at least if the program is reputable enough), but I think your second part is BS. Yes there is "extreme levels of racism" in those countries, but:

- You totally neglect Asian-Americans, and plenty of Asian-Americans go back to be with their Asian-Asian bretheren without any issue.
- Plenty of black and Hispanic people go to East Asia for vacation or business and enjoy it there. Even many who do experience racism say it is outweighed by the positive experiences and growth they had. Of course, plenty don't, but ultimately experiences are so variable that it's hard to generalize, let alone say "hurr durr don't go there for dear life."
- You make it seem that every Asian person is a racist monster, all 4.4 billion of them. There are racist monsters, but there are also those who are anti-racist and even have friends who are minorities.
- Racism in East Asia is of a fundamentally different nature than American racism. It's ignorance-based, and it's not shaped by hundreds of years of history of interactions between whites and blacks. I can't say that it's easier to deal with than American racism, but it's something to consider.
- If a person of color is truly worried about racism, there are ways to mitigate it, such as going to international school. Many study abroad programs also have diversity offices that are equipped to help students who face discrimination.

Conclusion: Is East Asia super racist? Likely yes. Should it deter someone from going there, making new friends, exploring new cultures and improving themselves? Absolutely not.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2018, 09:45:30 PM »

The US is one of the few countries that exercises the immoral practice of worldwide taxation on its subjects (i.e. US persons as defined by the IRS), so this is largely impossible to do legally. It is also illegal to renounce US citizenship for tax purposes, and renunciation of citizenship typically results in a quasi-lifetime ban from the US.

Atlas has plenty of shady people on here, so I wouldn't be all that surprised if someone mentioned it.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2018, 09:49:38 PM »

Depending on the country, all it'd take is a good job offer, enough money for the move, and not having to go through too much hassle with paperwork. Sure, I'd miss my family, and it'd be difficult adjusting to a new country, but I'm not attached to America beyond my limited social ties.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2018, 11:22:36 PM »

I can't see myself living anywhere but America, tbh, under normal circumstances.

Some exceptions:
1. I somehow become a diplomat, which would be amazing.
2. The move is temporary, i.e. like 1-3 years.
3. Antisemitism spreading like wildfire
4. My Zionism shifts from Diaspora Zionism to Existential Zionism. (Going from a Diaspora Advocate for Israel to a Zionist who believes there is no future in the Diaspora).

1 and 4 are unlikely. Though, 1 would be awesome.
2 is an acceptable situation
I hope 3 never happens
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2018, 06:07:23 PM »

It's been surprising that there hasn't been any terrorist attacks on public transportation, the government is very responsible in keeping that in tact.  Well, that will cause a mass exist of tourists not to visit our country.

I will move to Mexico if that happens.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2018, 06:15:17 PM »

It's been surprising that there hasn't been any terrorist attacks on public transportation, the government is very responsible in keeping that in tact.  Well, that will cause a mass exist of tourists not to visit our country.

I will move to Mexico if that happens.
*Cough* NYC bus terminal attack *cough*
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2018, 09:16:33 AM »

A lot. I'm not interested in paying the ridiculous taxes typical of Europe and Commonwealth countries, and I think trying to assimilate into the cultures of most other places wouldn't be worth it. I'm not even sure I'd enjoy the culture in Europe where most people are atheists. I don't talk about it on here much, but my faith is an integral part of my life.

I would probably have to be offered a job that pays 3 times my current salary and the opportunity to live in a safe, relatively rural, sparsely-populated area.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies