The Scramble: A 2015 UK General Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:18:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Scramble: A 2015 UK General Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Scramble: A 2015 UK General Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 3743 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 01:33:49 PM »

Farage redoubles attacks on Miliband:
"He has no answers on immigration and Europe", UKIP Leader argues

Farage: "I was looking forward to hearing what Ed Miliband might have to say as the campaign went forward, and I confess being sorely disappointed. The heart of the matter is that there is thousands if not millions of voters, particularly working class Labour voters who feel disaffected in the political process, who are taken for granted by their party, and who are told again and again that their concerns don't matter. And believe me, a simple chat with them suffices to see that they have serious and common-sense concerns about our relationship with the EU, about the flux of immigration caused by Labour, about traditional values they grew up with and they thought that Labour represented.

And there goes Ed Miliband at his spinelessly sanctimonious best, belittling those concerns and portraying the serious concerns of millions in a bizarre anti-Muslim narrative which does not fit the facts in the slightest. Well I for one I think it's common sense to seek to return immigration to normal pre-Tony Blair levels, and what Mr. Miliband also fails to realize is that much of the migration flux into the United Kingdom actually comes from Europe as the direct result of the failed policies of his party. A true leader would offer solutions, and all that Ed Miliband has to say to disaffected Britons and even members of his own party is that he doesn't care, and that he has no solutions and no answers on immigration or the EU beyond resorting to name-calling against UKIP and anyone who supports it.

It seems pretty clear to me that both main parties are led by out of touch elitists, neither of whom appears to deserve a vote of confidence by the British public."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 01:41:29 PM »

UKIP Debate, response to Miliband:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If I may, I think this is a great example for why many people continue to feel disaffected both the political process and for what Ed here purports to stand for.

And I'd like to ask this question and get a straight answer, just why is it so unacceptable to you that we have a referendum and the people can make a clear choice? They haven't had the chance for the last forty years, and we cannot say that our relationship with Europe hasn't dramatically changed since then. Not only because the growing control of British laws from Brussels, but because you see parties such as the SNP running around advocating for entry into the Euro, parties that Ed here has expressed his desire to work with to form a government.

Why should the people of Britain, whether they support membership of the EU or whether they wish to leave, be denied having a direct, unambigious say on the matter?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »

UKIP Campaign Points:

Press Release: On account of the large costs of the early attack strategy led by the party, UKIP has focused this week on targeting the Lib Dem/Conservative Coalition and its economic record through more advertising, hoping to drive the point that the "recovery" (born out of a crisis caused by Labour) has failed to reach millions of Britons who should have little reason to continue voting for those parties (10 CP).

Advertising: Coalition Recovery

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 07:40:47 AM »

The Guardian: 'Pact Lunch', Greens and Plaid Cymru reach a limited deal to stand candidates down in key seats.

Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 11:58:10 AM »

What Vince Cable did

Cable campaigned in Wales through the 7th to the 9th on free market values and enterprise to promote and pretend them.

Cable campaigned from the 10th to the 12th in London on his plan for EU referendum differenting it from what UKIP wants.   Also in the 12th Cable was interview on ITV on his campaign and what he wants his future of Britain to be.

Cable campaigned in East London on the final two days to campaign on reforming NHS and how he wants to help it by proposing a market and competition into so that people could get better cheaper life saving jobs easier.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 10:44:40 PM »

Plaid Debate Answers:

"Now this is a question I'm glad was asked, because what Plaid is proposing is a completely different approach to the deficit.  Plaid cannot promise that our plan will completely eliminate the deficit within 5 years, as that would be irresponsible and be predicting events beyond our control. However, what I can promise is that we will bring an end to austerity while still cutting significantly into the deficit, something none of the parties have promised so far.

Plaid's plan would involve cutting the wasteful and ultimately useless spending that is the replacement of Trident, reducing significantly the amount of waste we will have on nuclear weapons that would never be used in any war, and instead putting that money towards the budget.  On taxes, Plaid supports restoring the 50p additional tax rate on Britons making more than £150,000 per year, and doubling the banker's levy, both of which will help equalize our tax system and produce a significant amount of revenue without cutting vital social programs.  Additionally on taxes, we support restoring the staff of the HMRC to it's level before the Blair cuts, in order to hunt down corporations and wealthy who are contributing to a tax gap of an estimated 120 billion pounds. 

Now, of course in addition to these reforms we are calling for increased social spending, such as more doctors for the NHS, especially in Wales, giving Wales the same "funding per head" deal Scotland receives, and increasing business rate relief for small businesses, as well as avoiding any more austerity based cuts, so we definitely can't promise to completely end the deficit.  However, Plaid Cymru can promise definitively that if we were to enter government and fulfill our promises, we would make a significant dent in the deficit, while also protecting the most vulnerable in our society, which is what a responsible and caring government should do, and it's what Plaid will do for Wales and the UK."

"Ah, now this is one question where Plaid actually agrees, partially, with UKIP.  We do agree that the EU is currently not working as well as it should for the UK, and we would support an In-Out referendum on the UK's membership of the EU, but that is where our agreement with UKIP ends on this issue.  Plaid believes that Wales, and the UK as a whole are still better off within the EU, and that the UK should propose reforms to the EU rather than leave it, and endanger the hundreds of thousands in our country who are helped by the UK's membership within the EU.

Now, what is it that Plaid proposes we do to reform the EU?  We propose reforming the EU overall so as to stop benefits to international corporations and big banks, and instead reform the EU so it truly benefits it's population, especially Wales and the UK, rather than the men in glass towers. Plaid also opposes the proposed EU-US Free Trade agreement, which would benefit corporations rather than the people of the UK and Wales, as well as possibly privatize our NHS, which is something we cannot tolerate.  Plaid will also push for closing the second EU Parliament in Strasbourg, which is a huge waste of money for the nations of the EU, and finally Plaid supports keeping the funding granted to Wales by the EU for it's regions should continue going directly to Wales, rather than being distributed by a Westminster government that fails to know what Wales wishes to do with it's money. 

After these reforms are implemented, and the EU truly helping the people of Wales and the UK, Plaid would propose an In-Out referendum on EU membership to give the decision to the people on whether to stay in a reformed EU or not.  In the end, we believe wholeheartedly that the people of the UK would support staying in that new EU, and that they support now staying within the EU and reforming it rather than abandoning it completely."

"I'm happy that I get to clarify Plaid's position on this, as this is certainly needed.  Plaid would not push for an independence referendum, in the immediate future, if we were granted the powers we have asked for in our manifesto, for two reasons. 

First off, the people of Wales don't really wish to leave the UK at the moment, as shown by the most recent poll by BBC Wales*. At this time, only 6% of the people of Wales support independence. Secondly, if Wales were granted the powers we've asked for, we would succeed in achieving the ability to govern ourselves effectively, as well as receiving our fair share of funding, an absolutely huge goal for Plaid. If this were achieved Wales would have sovereignty over itself and the powers it deserves, and there would be no reason for Wales to leave the UK for the time being.

Now, I cannot rule out a referendum on independence permanently, as situations do change with time, and I don't have the right to speak for future leaders of Plaid Cymru. However, I can promise that if granted the powers we've asked for, Plaid would not push for an independence referendum for the immediate future."

(BBC Wales Poll:  https://www.icmunlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2015_bbcwales_march_poll.pdf )
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 11:57:59 AM »

Plaid Debate Response to Milliband

"Mr. Milliband, I believe you've forgotten one key policy of Labour regarding the deficit, Austerity. The fact is that you*, Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls**, and the Labour Party are committed to continuing Tory cuts that have harmed Wales and the UK's social services for the past 5 years, yet you only gave your support for Austerity a vague mention in an attempt at appearing to care for the people of the UK and Wales. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, Ed Milliband is clear proof that Labour is still the party of Blair, and does not have the interests of the working people of this country at heart.  Instead of going after useless spending, such as Trident, Labour will go after the vital social services that give the working people of Wales and the UK a chance, and that is something we cannot afford.  Labour's moved on from protecting the people of Wales and the UK, and it's time we move on from them."

(*Milliband Support for Austerity:  https://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/labour-will-keep-austerity-says-miliband-1-3300839
**Ed Balls support for Austerity:  https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/12/balls-reaffirms-labours-commitment-cuts-2015 )
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 02:16:46 PM »

UKIP Debate, response to Wood:

I'm glad you raised this point, Leanne, and on principle I appreciate that Plaid Cymru would potentially support a referendum based on the hypothetical you just explained. However, I think there's actually a large flaw with how you've framed this, and I for one think it would be helpful for you to explain it.

Even if many of the points you've raised about potental reforms are certainly better than the status quo, your party would simply not be in a position to deliver any such reforms, nor would they be feasible to pass given how unworkable the EU has turned out to be and how closed to reform the unelected bureaucracy is. Even if Plaid was to somehow win every single seat in Wales it would still not be in charge of how the UK handles reforms inside the EU: it would be a Prime Minister Miliband propped up by Plaid who would be in charge of that process. And Ed is a decent man, but I think most viewers would find the idea that he could get such reforms passed inside the EU - assuming he actually supported them - rather laughable. The same applies to David Cameron, and don't even get me started on Nick Clegg.

And for that matter, Ed here has also stated very clearly that he will not offer a referendum, nor has he offered any specifics on what reforms he'd actually try to implement against the odds and the opposition of the EU to reforming itself. So I guess my question here is, how would you say your approach to the issue is a realistic or feasible one?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 03:01:54 PM »

As for the first question, we think increases in the top rates of tax could reduce the deficit enough to allow a surplus to be achieved by 2020.

As for the second question, I would echo what Ed Miliband said - we don't need to leave the EU, and also there's the fact that a referendum would be an unnecessary distraction from the important task of reforming the EU.

Thirdly, we do not wish to oblige this country to dump the pound for the euro - I'd rather we have spirited debate within Parliament on the issue. It certainly isn't something we would set as a precondition for any SNP-Labour deal.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 03:09:30 PM »

April 7-8: visit Orkney and Shetland, campaign with the local SNP candidate
April 9: visit Belfast, meet with DUP First Minister of Northern Ireland
April 10-12: campaign with local SNP candidates in Glasgow
April 13: campaign in Edinburgh
April 14: campaign in Stirling, campaign with the local SNP candidat
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2018, 02:47:12 PM »

Plaid Debate Response to Farage

"Well Mr. Farage, I believe you're wrong on this, and I do believe our approach is realistic for two reasons.

First, I don't believe the EU is as unworkable as you say at all, and can certainly be open to reform. In addition, our reforms are aiming to benefit purely the people of the UK, Wales, and all people of the EU, and I believe they would receive significant support from people and parties in every nation in the EU. Also, the EU would be facing a demand for reform from the second largest economy in the EU, and with that in mind I believe those "unelected bureaucrats" you mention would have to at the very least consider the reforms, and would end up enacting them.

Secondly, you are correct in that Plaid would most likely end up supporting a Labour government, however you seem to underestimate the power we would have in that case.  Currently we seem to be heading for a hung parliament, and in that situation Plaid would be those crucial few votes between a government succeeding or failing, and we would make sure to use that power for progress for Wales and the UK.  We would demand that any coalition or deal formed with Labour would go through with each of the Pledges we layed out in our manifesto, of course including our proposed reforms for the EU. With that in mind, I believe Mr. Milliband would be willing to go ahead with our reforms to the EU and a referendum on EU membership, and with the people of the UK behind him I certainly think he'd succeed in getting the reforms passed. 

So to conclude, I do believe our approach is a realistic one, as the EU is not as unworkable as you say, and because Plaid Cymru will have the power to make sure those reforms are passed by a government we'd enter."

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2018, 08:53:52 PM »

Plaid Cymru Campaign Week 2:  A Real voice for Wales

April 7th:  Leanne Wood releases Plaid Cymru's Manifesto, Real Progress for Wales, in the constituency of Llanelli.  After the manifesto release, Leanne campaigns with Vaughan Williams, attacking Nia Griffith and Labour for supporting Tory Austerity.

April 8thLeanne Wood holds a rally in Ceredigion, attacking the LibDems and Mark Williams' record.

April 9th:  Leanne Wood campaigns in Cardiff West and Pontypridd with Neil McEvoy (Cardiff West Candidate) and Osian Lewis (Pontypridd Candidate), campaigning on Plaid's promises to repeal the Health and Social Care Act of 2012 which would lead to NHS privatization, and on bringing an additional 1000 doctors into the Welsh NHS.

April 10thLeanne Wood holds a rally in Rhondda, attacking Labour for their yielding to the Tories.

April 11th:  Leanne Wood holds rallies in Aberconwy and Clywd West with Dafydd Meurig (Aberconwy Candidate) and Marc Jones (Clywd West Candidate).  At both rallies she attacks the Conservatives as cowards, too afraid to face the people of Wales after 5 years of destroying their lives with cuts to their social services.

April 12th:  Leanne Wood holds a rally in Ynys Môn with John Rowlands, touting Plaid's support for an end to Austerity, and for ending the replacement of Trident.

April 13th:  Leanne Wood campaigns in Neath and Cynon Valley with Daniel Thomas (Neath Candidate) and Cerith Griffiths (Cynon Valley Candidate), campaigning on doubling the banker's levy and hunting down corporate and income tax evasion.

April 14th:  Leanne Wood holds rallies in the constituencies of Carmathen West (And South Pembrokshire) and Gower with Elwyn Williams (Carmathen West Candidate) and Darren Thomas (Gower Candidate).  At both rallies Leanne Wood attacks the Tory bedroom tax and welfare spending cap as measures that cripple the working people of Wales, and touts Plaid's support for repealing them.

Campaign Point Spending:  Canvassing in the constituencies of Ynys Mon, Ceredigion, Llanelli, Rhondda, and Aberconwy.  (5 Points)

Internal Poll for Wales. (5 Points)

Billboard Ad on the NHS to be deployed in all 40 Constituencies of Wales. (10 Points)

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2018, 06:38:53 PM »

Plaid Cymru Campaign Events, Week 2

April 8th:  Plaid Cymru Rally in Ceredigion

Hello people of Rhondda! Today I wish to present you all with a choice, it's a rather simple one actually.  We're faced with essentially 2 choices this election, red Tories, and Plaid Cymru. I wish to discuss what the red Tories, or the Labour party as they wish to call themselves, have to offer Wales. 

First off, let's discuss Labour's position on the EU.  Well, there doesn't seem to be much of one actually, they've made vague promises on reform rather than truly committing to anything. As a contrast, Plaid has made it clear that we'll reform the EU to better serve it's population instead of corporations, we oppose the EU-US trade deal that could partially privatize the NHS, and we believe that all funding from the EU to Wales should continue going directly to Wales, rather than distributed from Westminster. Clearly, one party has the interests of the people in mind on the EU, while the other has nothing in mind at all.

Secondly, there is an issue which Labour actually has something in mind for, the budget.  However, what they have in mind isn't good for the people of Wales and the UK at all, they've committed to continuing Tory Austerity, keeping Trident's replacement, and keeping the welfare spending cap. Rather than going after corporate and income tax evasion, which Labour actually helped expand with Blair's cuts to the HMRC, or after the utterly useless spending that is replacing Trident, they're committed to harming the working class with more cuts to social services, and restricting welfare spending, cutting off working people who rely on welfare to survive from aid they need, and endangering them should another recession occur.  Plaid thinks differently here as well.  We're committed to ending the disaster of Austerity, eliminating the welfare cap, doubling the banker's levy, reversing Blair's cuts to the HMRC and hunting down tax evasion, and ending Trident's replacement.  Plaid is committed to truly protecting the working people of Wales and the UK through ending the pain of Austerity, Labour cannot say the same.

In the end, the choice for Wales is simple.  Should we continue down Labour's path of false change, as they continue Tory policies of shafting the working class and ignoring Welsh interests, or should we choose progress, change, and helping the working people of our nation by ending Austerity, reforming the EU to help it's people, and giving Wales the powers and funding it deserves so it can govern and care for it's people effectively. Plaid is that change, and the real voice Wales deserves after years of being ignored by Labour.  Thank you all for your time.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies