MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:06:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16
Author Topic: MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much  (Read 26777 times)
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2018, 10:53:44 PM »
« edited: June 17, 2018, 11:01:15 PM by Jeppe »

A full page of arguments over her anti semitism (or lack thereof) and no one is concerned that she's all for female circumcision. That's far more disturbing than a couple of par for the course tweets.

That’s completely false, she voted for the bill imposing stricter punishments for parents practicing FGM.

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-bill-against-female-mutilation-raises-opposition/423070383/

“The bill won support from all but four of the 128 House members who voted, including Rep. Ilhan Omar, the country’s first Somali-American legislator.”

She supported the bill even though it was mainly her own Somali-American community that vigorously opposed the bill.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2018, 10:58:13 PM »

If Omar wins the primary (and with that, the general), Congress should refuse to seat her.

Wow, over a f#cking tweet?  Good to know Libertarians still care about the Constitution.

Libertarianism has been a thin veil of highmindedness over a lot of ugly subconscious sentiments basically since the party came around in the 1970s.

(of which I'm sure you're aware, but ya know.)
So, you two would have been fine if Roy Moore would have been seated in the Senate had he beaten Doug Jones?

Of course, fair and square.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2018, 10:58:22 PM »

A full page of arguments over her anti semitism (or lack thereof) and no one is concerned that she's all for female circumcision. That's far more disturbing than a couple of par for the course tweets.

This has been debunked.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2018, 10:59:44 PM »

I am thrilled with this result. Ilhan Omar will make a great congresswoman, and her tweet is great! Can't wait to have our first Muslim woman as a member of congress, this country is progressing fast!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2018, 11:01:57 PM »

Oh, and endorsed!
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2018, 11:05:00 PM »

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/votes/votes.asp?ls_year=90&billnum=HF2621&session_number=0&year=2017&id=285

Omar voted for the bill
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2018, 11:17:47 PM »

I am thrilled with this result. Ilhan Omar will make a great congresswoman, and her tweet is great! Can't wait to have our first Muslim woman as a member of congress, this country is progressing fast!

Rashida Tlaib strikes me as better, as far as Muslim women go.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2018, 11:24:59 PM »

Rashida Tlaib strikes me as better, as far as Muslim women go.

May be true, but Omar basically has this locked down, while MI 13th will probably select Ian Conyers as the nominee.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2018, 11:41:32 PM »

I never liked Ellison, so -i am reasonably sure that i will dislike her too. If Minneapolis can't elect anyone better - well, it's his problems.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2018, 12:05:27 AM »

Come on, DFL. Go Torres, but unlikely she’ll be nominated.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2018, 12:06:20 AM »

If Omar wins the primary (and with that, the general), Congress should refuse to seat her.

Why exactly? Serious question. Besides one questionable anti Israel tweet what exactly has she done that would merit that extraordinary step?
It puts her ability to be fair and just in her decision-making in Congress in question.

Should Steve King also not be seated? He has said far worse things according to many people.  I think King is a racist @sss but if he wins his election of course he should be seated.

Not seating a duly elected member of congress would be an extraordinary thing that would undermine our core democratic principles.

Exactly. Omar's stated position on the jews is deplorable, but if we're expelling members of Congress willy-nilly for racist things, she probably wouldn't even make the top 5 list of members at the top of that cutting block.
Finally, some sense.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2018, 08:32:05 AM »

Can somebody explain why Omar is so objectionable?

Perceived antisemitism. From wikipedia:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Israel is an apartheid state. Doesn't make her an antisemite.

Israel is not an apartheid state; this is not an opinion, it's an objective fact.  Without a two state solution, there is a danger it could become one in like 30-40 years if current birth-rate trends continue, but that's a long ways off and not guaranteed by any means.  Plus, it's certainly not one right now.  As for Omar, her language literally was such that a reasonable person who had just been shown her tweet would think it came from Hamas.  The type of language used is not even "normal" by the standards of soft anti-Semites in the U.S.  This is barely even coded language, tbh.  Now kindly stop trying to goysplain anti-Semitism.  K Thx Smiley
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2018, 08:53:36 AM »

The use of word "hypnotized" was unfortunate and inappropriate, but her follow up explanation helped clear things up to me and are more in line with my views. Also happy to see she voted for the anti-FGM bill.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2018, 03:16:55 PM »

Can somebody explain why Omar is so objectionable?

Perceived antisemitism. From wikipedia:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Israel is an apartheid state. Doesn't make her an antisemite.

Israel is not an apartheid state; this is not an opinion, it's an objective fact.  Without a two state solution, there is a danger it could become one in like 30-40 years if current birth-rate trends continue, but that's a long ways off and not guaranteed by any means.  Plus, it's certainly not one right now.  As for Omar, her language literally was such that a reasonable person who had just been shown her tweet would think it came from Hamas.  The type of language used is not even "normal" by the standards of soft anti-Semites in the U.S.  This is barely even coded language, tbh.  Now kindly stop trying to goysplain anti-Semitism.  K Thx Smiley

It's a mixed bag. Israel Houghton it's 1967 borders is in, while not perfect, Head and Shoulders Above the Rest of the region in terms of freedom and human rights, not to mention democracy.

However, conduct in the occupied territories is, sadly, quite reminiscent of apartheid in many respects. Cluding being birthday present. The fact that it is indeed not quite up to the level. Afrikaner racist apartheid, and only passably resembles it in the territories, is only nominally exculpatory.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #164 on: June 18, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »

The use of word "hypnotized" was unfortunate and inappropriate, but her follow up explanation helped clear things up to me and are more in line with my views. Also happy to see she voted for the anti-FGM bill.

She doubled down in the follow up Tongue
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2018, 11:44:36 PM »

She doubled down in the follow up Tongue

Yes but she used the word "appartheid" rather than "hypntized" so her antisemitism is fine now.
Seriously, people like Omar and the ones defending her here are the reason we need a country, and the reason will need nukes. We'll never be at the mercy of antisemites and their apologizers again.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2018, 11:53:47 PM »

Shish, (changed it for pun lol), for a bunch of justice dems y'all are quite neoconny. Omar is a bright and articulate individual who made great statements on twitter, and my only criticism was that she did not go far enough.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2018, 11:55:41 PM »

Shish, (changed it for pun lol), for a bunch of justice dems y'all are quite neoconny. Omar is a bright and articulate individual who made great statements on twitter, and my only criticism was that she did not go far enough.

Confronting antisemitism is now neoconny? I'm unable to discern how many levels of woke you're on right now.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2018, 11:58:13 PM »

Confronting antisemitism is now neoconny? I'm unable to discern how many levels of woke you're on right now.

Nah fam, not that as much as the iron clad support for Israel even among many justice dems on this forum.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2018, 12:00:30 AM »

Nah fam, not that as much as the iron clad support for Israel even among many justice dems on this forum.

As you might've noticed if you had some reading comprehension, almost everyone on this thread has criticism for Israel. It's just that some of them also know to discern valid criticism from rabid, 19th-century antisemitism. Something you clearly can't do.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2018, 12:03:01 AM »

I'll repeat what I said earlier, then.

Israel has done enough wrong things that critics of Israel should have enough material to criticize without having to dip down to Protocols-level conspiracy theories about how the evil Jews Israelis control the rest of the world.

If you choose to focus on spreading this kind of grandstanding conspiracy theories instead of critiquing actual actions by the Israeli government — of which there are plenty — you’re not a critic of Israel, you’re an antisemite.

But, I guess you're right. Omar didn't go far enough - she should've share a selfie of herself holding a copy of Protocols of the Elders of Zion to show that she's both a friend to all Jews and a legitimate and productive critic of Israel.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2018, 12:06:59 AM »

Israel has done enough wrong things that critics of Israel should have enough material to criticize without having to dip down to Protocols-level conspiracy theories about how the evil Jews Israelis control the rest of the world.

If you choose to focus on spreading this kind of grandstanding conspiracy theories instead of critiquing actual actions by the Israeli government — of which there are plenty — you’re not a critic of Israel, you’re an antisemite.

But, I guess you're right. Omar didn't go far enough - she should've share a selfie of herself holding a copy of Protocols of the Elders of Zion to show that she's both a friend to all Jews and a legitimate and productive critic of Israel.

Fam, regardless of your views on the Israel-Palestine conflict, just looking from an objective point of view, it is strange for so many justice democrats to be so supportive of Israel. I mean the same goes for me, a democrat, who aligns more with the Blue Dogs, and yet is strictly anti gun, more than even most democrats, it is just strange in both cases.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2018, 12:16:25 AM »

Fam, regardless of your views on the Israel-Palestine conflict, just looking from an objective point of view, it is strange for so many justice democrats to be so supportive of Israel. I mean the same goes for me, a democrat, who aligns more with the Blue Dogs, and yet is strictly anti gun, more than even most democrats, it is just strange in both cases.

Concerns about anti-semitism have nothing to do with the Israel-Palestine conflict. Trying to conflate the two is deliberately disingenuous and is muddying the waters of a question that has a clear answer.

I don't give two hoots about my ideology, yours, or whoever's, and it's pretty clear you're attempting to dismiss (serious) claims about antisemitism by trying to deflect via some half-witted attempt at a roast of Justice Democrats (and btw, where did that come from?). That's not how you have a normal conservation in real life and it certainly shouldn't be how you carry out discussion on a forum whose primary purpose is to address politics and elections.

Especially when you applaud such comments and encourage them, and then deliberately deflect to some unimportant issue,  you really do run the risk of accidentally dropping that "Israel critic" masque and revealing the "antisemitic" core. Oops.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2018, 12:29:10 AM »

Concerns about anti-semitism have nothing to do with the Israel-Palestine conflict. Trying to conflate the two is deliberately disingenuous and is muddying the waters of a question that has a clear answer.

I don't give two hoots about my ideology, yours, or whoever's, and it's pretty clear you're attempting to dismiss (serious) claims about antisemitism by trying to deflect via some half-witted attempt at a roast of Justice Democrats (and btw, where did that come from?). That's not how you have a normal conservation in real life and it certainly shouldn't be how you carry out discussion on a forum whose primary purpose is to address politics and elections.

Especially when you applaud such comments and encourage them, and then deliberately deflect to some unimportant issue,  you really do run the risk of accidentally dropping that "Israel critic" masque and revealing the "antisemitic" core. Oops.

Just making some interesting observations as well as congratulating a great politician having a good showing at a DFL convention, nothing too intense friend.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2018, 12:31:08 AM »

Just making some interesting observations as well as congratulating a great politician having a good showing at a DFL convention, nothing too intense friend.

Yeah, I got carried away... I forgot antisemitism was a complete joke, right.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies