Likelihood of drugs and/or policing changing voting patterns in the future
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:47:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Likelihood of drugs and/or policing changing voting patterns in the future
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Likelihood of drugs and/or policing changing voting patterns in the future  (Read 561 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2018, 09:03:53 PM »

What's the likelihood that issues such as marijuana legalization and/or police brutality will become more polarized or less polarized and that voting patterns will change as a result? For example, could New Jersey turn Republican because they fear marijuana legalization?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 09:42:30 PM »

No. Maybe in the 80s when the Moral Majority was at its peak, but not now. The public is significantly to the left of elected officials on this issue, and marijuana legalization/decriminalization at the federal level will likely happen in the next 5-10 years or so, and it won't be particularly controversial when it does.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 10:08:16 PM »

I would say that the issue is already depolarized and becoming even more so. Most Democrats support it, and many Republicans do to. Times have changed, and most of the public doesnt see the threat in marijuana anymore.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 04:14:43 AM »

I have a feeling it will be a big debate among younger people who might still get exposed to it, but nothing really beyond the 18 and higher group. My brother and I both smoke, and we are still relatively respectable people despite the health problems it causes. I knew the health risks going in, but I still did/do it. Have been doing it for about a year or so now. That being said, I would never do it publically. I only do it in personalized areas, like my bedroom. In public, I will just keep it waiting.

Drinking on the other hand, is the real deal imo. I have known smokers who did not really get all that affected by it, health issues aside. Drinkers on the other hand, are different men and women than the people I grew up with and those people have broke me with how they became.

When I have children, I will be totally cool with them smoking as long as it is in concealed places and they are over 18, but I will fight with them about them not drinking until the day I die.

Sorry for the long post about the subject, but both sides really make me passionate about the subject
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 11:54:56 AM »

I see marijuana as one of those opinion shifts that's sweeping the nation rapidly, across all demographic groups and most political persuasions. The explosion of CBD popularity has greatly reduced the stigma involved as well, despite CBD being about as psychoactive as valerian. And the vast majority of the Baby Boomers who now occupy the rank and file of the GOP have partaken at one time or another. No one is bothering to deny it, even.

At the same time, several states are serving as laboratories for the consequences of legalization. The arguments against criminalization will evaporate if there are no dire public health or safety consequences.

The same thing is happening with same-sex marriage. Despite many claims to the contrary, Americans on the whole don't want to butt into the personal business of others. Especially if we identify with them on a cultural level.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 06:23:44 PM »

The same thing is happening with same-sex marriage. Despite many claims to the contrary, Americans on the whole don't want to butt into the personal business of others. Especially if we identify with them on a cultural level.

In reality 90 percent of the people don't care about gay marriage one way or another. They don't care if gays marry or not, and they don't care if it's legalized or not. It's not my business, why should it be the governments?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies