MN-08: Joe Radinovich vs. Pete Stauber
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:22:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN-08: Joe Radinovich vs. Pete Stauber
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MN-08: Joe Radinovich vs. Pete Stauber  (Read 3939 times)
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »
« edited: August 15, 2018, 08:10:55 AM by Jeppe »

17% Joe Radinovich
16% Michelle Lee
9% Jason Metsa
6% Kirsten Kennedy

https://www.scribd.com/document/381044538/MN08-Primary-Poll-Memo-Joe-for-Minnesota

I don’t really know why people were cheering when Phifer dropped out, it made it a lot easier for Lee to win because now she’s the only anti-mining progressive remaining in the race, and she’s a well-known, popular figure in Duluth.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 04:11:39 PM »

I mean Lee isn’t guaranteed to get ahead of Radinovich though.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 04:20:23 PM »

I mean Lee isn’t guaranteed to get ahead of Radinovich though.

She probably is currently. Internal polls usually way overestimate a candidate’s support (Stacey Evans released a poll showing her down by 8 points a week before the primary, she lost by 50). It won’t be that extreme, but Radinovich is really hurt by splitting the pro-mining, moderate vote with both Metsa and Kennedy. Radinovich would beat Lee easily one-on-one, but the large amount of candidates running is hurting Radinovich and benefiting Lee.

Phifer winning the endorsement would probably have been better for Radinovich in the long-run. Metsa and Kennedy would’ve dropped out because they pledged to do so if an endorsement was made, while Lee still would’ve ran regardless, leaving Radinovich as the only pro-mining candidate against 2 progressive anti-mining candidates. But I guess politicians suck at politics.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 12:34:12 AM »

This poll is obviously trash, but I have a hunch that actual office holders with fundraising and GOTV networks and connections to the local machine are going to have an easier time than some local news anchor.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 12:36:44 AM »

This poll is obviously trash, but I have a hunch that actual office holders with fundraising and GOTV networks and connections to the local machine are going to have an easier time than some local news anchor.

Why would somebody do better than in their own internal poll?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 12:37:05 AM »

So is Michelle Lee electable? Given how women candidates have performed I wouldn't count her out in the primary.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 12:52:54 AM »

So is Michelle Lee electable? Given how women candidates have performed I wouldn't count her out in the primary.

She's probably the weakest general election candidate. Her fundraising is non-existent and she's very progressive. However, she's a long-time news anchor in Duluth and she's the only one running against the PolyMet Mine, a contentious issue in the area. There are lots of environmentalists in this district, it was the only district where Rebecca Otto beat Walz in the previous statewide poll.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 09:23:37 AM »

This will be one of the few gop pickups
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »

Any number of reasons, it wouldn’t be the first time tbh.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 11:02:50 AM »

Usually, the purpose of an internal poll is to create a particular narrative for a particular race, especially if posted publically. It's not impossible for a candidate that the internal is done for to perform better in a poll that's not an internal.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 09:55:37 PM »

The reason why I'm throwing this poll straight in the trash is less due to it being an internal and more due to that it literally has 62% undecided.
Bman409
Rookie
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 12:47:07 PM »

any updates on this one?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 04:26:10 PM »

TBH, Im not worried about Lee's "progressive values" making this seat R cause shes "unelectable", because thats dumb, especially since the previous incumbent was just as progressive.

No, Im worried about what will actually matter, her mining stance, and her fundraising.

This is a mining district, and going against what many do as a livelihood is highly risky, almost as risky as Manchin saying he hates coal. Money is also something we need in this race and she doesnt have it.

Then again, she does have some things working in her favor. Her name Rec is rather high, as she is a famous news anchor in the area. The statewide election is likely to create a large D wave for her, along with the actual D wave. The R candidate is not the greatest, as well, and the seat is still rather D downballot.

If she wins, Ill put this as tilt-D, but she could easily win this. I still remember when people were putting Balter at likely R because she was considered a weak candidate, and Newman made the race DOA.

Thats the Zaybay analysis!
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 06:46:46 PM »

Leah Phifer exiting the race was a big blow to Radinovich. All it did was unite the environmentalist vote behind Lee, who already enjoyed intrinsic advantages as a well-known journalist in Duluth. Radinovich goes into the Tuesday primary as a favorite, but with Kennedy & Metsa drawing away pro-mining votes away from him, Lee could easily end up winning. After all, nobody in this race is really raising serious dough.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 07:20:36 PM »

Most local prognosticators seem the think Radinovich is ahead. I believe he has raised the most money and also had some PAC support.
Bman409
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 11:11:22 AM »

Thank you
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 11:35:49 PM »

I don’t really know why people were cheering when Phifer dropped out, it made it a lot easier for Lee to win because now she’s the only anti-mining progressive remaining in the race, and she’s a well-known, popular figure in Duluth.

She probably is currently. Internal polls usually way overestimate a candidate’s support (Stacey Evans released a poll showing her down by 8 points a week before the primary, she lost by 50). It won’t be that extreme, but Radinovich is really hurt by splitting the pro-mining, moderate vote with both Metsa and Kennedy. Radinovich would beat Lee easily one-on-one, but the large amount of candidates running is hurting Radinovich and benefiting Lee.

Phifer winning the endorsement would probably have been better for Radinovich in the long-run. Metsa and Kennedy would’ve dropped out because they pledged to do so if an endorsement was made, while Lee still would’ve ran regardless, leaving Radinovich as the only pro-mining candidate against 2 progressive anti-mining candidates. But I guess politicians suck at politics.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lol
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 11:40:44 PM »

How could extrapolating from a poll with 60% undecided possibly go awry?
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 03:02:53 AM »

Radinovich is one of my favorite candidates of the cycle. I'm incredibly glad he won and I sure as hell hopes he holds the seat.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 04:16:54 AM »

Radinovich is one of my favorite candidates of the cycle. I'm incredibly glad he won and I sure as hell hopes he holds the seat.

He is a very good candidate, for sure. But this time republicans have one of the potentially strongest candidates too. So, most likely, it will be rather close.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 06:29:11 AM »

We definitely dodged a bullet here, yeah.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 07:33:50 AM »

Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 08:10:07 AM »

Jason Metsa underperformed badly, he barely finished ahead of Kirsten Kennedy, the woman who raised less than $10,000 and had no name recognition. That's the end of a political career right there.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 08:20:10 AM »

This will be one of the few (2-4) GOP pickups
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »

Jason Metsa underperformed badly, he barely finished ahead of Kirsten Kennedy, the woman who raised less than $10,000 and had no name recognition. That's the end of a political career right there.

Radinovich and Metsa pretty much had the same base (Metsa was a tad more pro-mining, but still), and given how well Radinovich did, it's unsurprising that Metsa had few votes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies