CA Primary Night!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 09:28:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA Primary Night!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: CA Primary Night!!  (Read 4142 times)
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 11:34:54 AM »

Was Cox's performance stronger than expected?

At the expense of Allen, sure. But the combined R vote was less than expected I think, given Republicans’ high ballot return rate
Where did you see that Republicans had a high ballot return rate? I didn't see that at all.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 12:08:50 PM »

Ultraconservative Steve Poizner is currently in first place in the Insurance Commissioner race. He changed to an independent to run for a second, non-consecutive term. I wonder if not having the party label may result in an R pickup.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »

Ultraconservative Steve Poizner is currently in first place in the Insurance Commissioner race. He changed to an independent to run for a second, non-consecutive term. I wonder if not having the party label may result in an R pickup.
Yeah he's moderate and the only one that's qualified for the position. He believes that the position should be non-partisan.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 12:58:01 PM »

Democrats are set to gain AD-76. Rs currently locked out.

Tasha Boerner Horvath
(Party Preference: DEM)
25.2%
Elizabeth Warren
(Party Preference: DEM)
25.7%

Philip "Phil" Graham
(Party Preference: REP)
21.1%
Thomas E. Krouse
8.0%
Maureen "Mo" Muir
8.7%
Amanda Rigby
5.6%
Jerome Stocks
4.9%
Brian Wimmer
0.8%

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 12:58:52 PM »

He's not even close to ultraconservative lol. He's really moderate.

This is the Steve Poizner I knew of: https://youtube.com/watch?v=X8P8vW0PNgk
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2018, 01:05:21 PM »

This is the Steve Poizner I knew of: https://youtube.com/watch?v=X8P8vW0PNgk
He apologized for that. He admitted that he was trying to win right wing votes for the primary. He's also received endorsements from the San Francisco Chronicle, East Bay Times, San Jose Mercury News
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2018, 01:28:20 PM »

Was Cox's performance stronger than expected?

Not really
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2018, 01:39:26 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2018, 01:43:50 PM by Interlocutor »

Obama campaigned for Vilarigosa, instead of Newsom.  He wasn't LA mayor. He was the mayor of SF,  where he legalized SSM.

Outside of endorsing Feinstein, he didn't get involved in the CA primaries. All the Villaraigosa ads featuring Obama were of quotes from 2008-2012
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 04:42:59 PM »

I'm honestly shocked that Renteria broke 1%. I had her at 0.75% and I don't think anyone else on the prediction page had her listed separately from "others."
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 05:16:24 PM »

Newsom had a sex scandal on him. That's why Obama ended up endorsing Vilarigosa. Obama,  Harris will campaign for Newsom and he will come out on top.  The race is competitive and Cox shouldn't be underestimated.

LOL, you realize that Cox and Allen got about 36% all together of the vote, while all Dems combined ad up to 59%? And turnout in November will be even higher, what is supposed to benefit Dems. Newsom should crack 60%.

As of now dems are actually above 61 and the the GOP is slightly above 37.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 05:24:44 PM »

he only got 41% of the vote. He'll be the best performing "conservative" on the ballot and he'll probably still lose by 9 or 10.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 06:49:08 PM »

he only got 41% of the vote. He'll be the best performing "conservative" on the ballot and he'll probably still lose by 9 or 10.
He outpreformed republicans all across the state though. He is the only other republican besides Arnold to have won statewide in California since the year 2000
heres his map from 06

he's definetly demonstrated his ability to win in blue wave years I wouldn't count him out just yet

lol he ran against Cruz Bustamante, who has a unique record of blowing almost every race he's ever run, and California has become a lot more Democratic since 2006 (fun fact, Democrats gained more seats in 2012 than they did in 2008, which was a much better year for Democrats nationally, and while the rest of the nation got swamped in 2014, Democrats GAINED a seat in California)

And he out-performed every single Republican on the ballot to get... 41% as the only center right candidate and the combined Democratic vote still ended up beating him by double digits. Poizner might close that gap some but I doubt he's going to even get within single digits.

If he had received 45-46% of the vote yesterday i would've paid attention.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 07:00:48 PM »

Cox will not win. Are we being serious right now? It's in my name, I'm as pessimistic as they come, but come on, people!
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2018, 07:02:43 PM »

Cox will not win. Are we being serious right now? It's in my name, I'm as pessimistic as they come, but come on, people!
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2018, 07:03:17 PM »

He outpreformed republicans all across the state though. He is the only other republican besides Arnold to have won statewide in California since the year 2000
heres his map from 06

he's definetly demonstrated his ability to win in blue wave years I wouldn't count him out just yet

lol he ran against Cruz Bustamante, who has a unique record of blowing almost every race he's ever run, and California has become a lot more Democratic since 2006 (fun fact, Democrats gained more seats in 2012 than they did in 2008, which was a much better year for Democrats nationally, and while the rest of the nation got swamped in 2014, Democrats GAINED a seat in California)

And he out-performed every single Republican on the ballot to get... 41% as the only center right candidate and the combined Democratic vote still ended up beating him by double digits. Poizner might close that gap some but I doubt he's going to even get within single digits.

Before 2012 the districts in California were gerrymandered to favor incumbents.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2018, 08:05:29 PM »

heres his map from 06

Before 2012 the districts in California were gerrymandered to favor incumbents.

Which kinda became a Pub-mander sometime around 2006 when California kept getting blue. Similar to how NJ has transitioned from a pub-mander to a dummymander. This is the main reason for some , but not all, of the dems house gains in CA in 2012.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2018, 08:12:17 PM »

No one is saying he will. We're talking about the insurance commissioner race.
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2018, 10:46:56 PM »

Most likely Cox vs Newsom County map for November as of June 6th, 2018

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2018, 10:51:58 PM »

Butte and probably Placer go D if Newsom is getting over two thirds of the vote. Del Norte probably not.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2018, 11:05:06 PM »

Um no. Orange County is not going to Newsom. Brown didn't even win it. I doubt Newsom outperforms Clinton. Also San Bernadino and Riverside both have been more willing to vote for a Republican for Governor in past years.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2018, 11:38:57 PM »

The combined Democratic share of the vote in Orange County is far higher than it was in 2014 (same in Riverside and San Bernardino). Of course Brown was unopposed but it still is worth comparing the numbers. Newsom could sweep SoCal because Cox is not a great candidate even from a generic standpoint.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2018, 01:28:06 AM »

I predict OC will go to newsom but it will be real close like 51-49 close and riverside and sanbernadino will be close but ultimately go to Newsom just because of the climate in the country rn plus Betty Yee carried OC in the primary with the only other candidates being a republican and a Peace and Freedom candidate the peace and freedom vote will overwhelmingly break to Yee so Oc is likely to vote dem this year in most statewide races
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2018, 01:31:06 AM »

I predict OC will go to newsom but it will be real close like 51-49 close and riverside and sanbernadino will be close but ultimately go to Newsom just because of the climate in the country rn plus Betty Yee carried OC in the primary with the only other candidates being a republican and a Peace and Freedom candidate the peace and freedom vote will overwhelmingly break to Yee so Oc is likely to vote dem this year in most statewide races

Orange County will go to Cox with about 53-47%, because he's a pretty good fit. I also did pretty well in the primary.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2018, 02:29:45 AM »

Does Feinstein or de Leon win OC in the runoff?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2018, 08:09:24 AM »

Um no. Orange County is not going to Newsom. Brown didn't even win it. I doubt Newsom outperforms Clinton. Also San Bernadino and Riverside both have been more willing to vote for a Republican for Governor in past years.

Dems and repa are basically tied in the primary vote right now - expect dems to pull ahead once the postals are tallied. Newsom is going to win and increasingly blue county.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies