Manchin says he might endorse Trump in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 09:37:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Manchin says he might endorse Trump in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Manchin says he might endorse Trump in 2020  (Read 4490 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 04:11:16 PM »

He doesn't need to do this. Recent polls (given it's internals) have shown him on Morrissey, plus Morrissey's from jersey

It might tighten, and he needs to do what he feels is best for his odds.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 05:16:50 PM »

Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 05:23:15 PM »

It's this simple:  Joe Manchin is a Democrat from a state where the National Democratic Party has taken an extreme adversarial position toward WV's key industry, the coal industry, while Donald Trump has embraced it.

If he's reelected, and if the GOP maintains control of the Senate, I predict Manchin will switch to the GOP.  I haven't always thought this, but I do now.  It would be like Nixon for Trump to trash the GOP candidate and have his operatives work for Manchin at this point, but they'll only do this if Manchin is a clear fave. 
not happening. After Justice flipped and people thought Manchin might too, he stated "being a WV democrat is part of my identity." He would retire before becoming an R, because being a Democrat is deeply ingrained in his life, much bigger than anything political. AS for subject of OP, he is just trying to win re-elex.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 05:35:29 PM »

It's this simple:  Joe Manchin is a Democrat from a state where the National Democratic Party has taken an extreme adversarial position toward WV's key industry, the coal industry, while Donald Trump has embraced it.

If he's reelected, and if the GOP maintains control of the Senate, I predict Manchin will switch to the GOP.  I haven't always thought this, but I do now.  It would be like Nixon for Trump to trash the GOP candidate and have his operatives work for Manchin at this point, but they'll only do this if Manchin is a clear fave. 

Less than 1% of West Virginians work in the coal industry.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 06:22:04 PM »

My thought is:

PRESIDENT STANTON II
Rookie
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 07:05:34 PM »

Would be a wise move on his part!
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 01:17:57 PM »

It seems like there's a Democrat who does this every cycle.
Caprice
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2018, 02:25:10 PM »

Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2018, 02:26:39 PM »

Switch parties and complete the realignment, Joe.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »

Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2018, 02:58:57 PM »

not happening. After Justice flipped and people thought Manchin might too, he stated "being a WV democrat is part of my identity." He would retire before becoming an R, because being a Democrat is deeply ingrained in his life, much bigger than anything political. AS for subject of OP, he is just trying to win re-elex.

There are worlds of difference here.  Justice was a lifelong Republican whose switch to the Democratic Party was calculated; he was never a national Democrat, and the trouncing WV's local Democrats took at the polls in 2016 sent him a message.

Manchin's different; he's a real Democrat and a career Democrat.  He's not liberal, but he's not a Republican, either.  He's a truly moderate Democrat who leans right because of where he's from.

I'm not sure Manchin could have gotten elected as a Republican, in that I don't know if he'd have made it through the primary.  If he's a Democrat, his future will be determined by how the Democrats do this year.

If Manchin wins and the Democrats take the Senate, I'm sure he'll be in the fold.  If Manchin wins and the Democrats don't take the Senate, I suspect he'll be looking for a way to avoid endorsing the Democratic nominee.

If Manchin loses, he's a likely candidate for Governor, but of which party?  The GOP isn't enamored of Justice, but Manchin had his chances to jump ship and hasn't.  He could run against Justice as a Democrat, and he'd probably have a better chance of being elected that way, but the issue of endorsing the national ticket would be there (although less prominently, given that it's a state election). 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2018, 05:14:32 PM »

Switch parties and complete the realignment, Joe.

Keep dreamin', I think you have better POPULISTS Purple heart to target than ole Joe.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2018, 08:22:35 PM »

Not gonna help him all that much, he's a blue dog that conects with Appalachian. Dems don't have to win in OH
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2018, 01:32:05 AM »

Joe better run. He is one of the few dems that I would be inclined to support in the general over Trump.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies