Hugh's Pacific Tour-Southern California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:13:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Hugh's Pacific Tour-Southern California
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hugh's Pacific Tour-Southern California  (Read 291 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2005, 06:15:33 PM »

*siren in background*

I'm here in South Central LA today, to discuss a shocking fact of life in our Region and the Republic at large.

*siren grows louder*

It affects the lives of tens of thousands daily, it is relevant to every Atlasian.

*Ambulance pulls up 50m behind Hughento*

Aged care in Atlasia is abysmal, especially amongst our poorer communities. Atlasiaqn voters tend to be young, but it is time to consider our elders-the silent minority in this nation.

*Old woman loaded into ambulance*

That's Beula. She's 82, and has lived alone for 12 years since her husband Len died. She is not alone; many Atlasians over 70 live by themselves with no or limited healthcare. Each year thousands of elderly Atlasians die at home from causes that could be prevented if they received better care.

*Ambulance speeds off*

Beula is lucky, she will get to one of the finest hospitals in this region. We have the hospitals; but what we need now is to deal with the crisis in healthcare in aged people. As the most frail and least represented group, it is easy to ignore them, but if I am elected to the Senate I pledge today to work with my fellow senators to amend the situaton. The solution might be more nursing homes, or greater public awareness.  It might be an increase in door-to-door nursing. I don't have the answer yuet, but if elected, you can trust me to find out. Cos I don't want Beula to be in the fortunate minority; but the fortunate majority.

I'm hughento and I approve of this message.

----------------------------------------------------------

OK, aged health is pretty important to me, personally. My mum and aunty are both at present managing directors of nursing homes, my aunty having been a nurse in a nursing home for 25 years, my mum having worked in nursing homes for 5 years over her career and in emergency departments for 25. My grandpa had dementia and was in a home, as was my Grandy who was sharp as a pin but very frail in her last years. My Grandy was killed by the nursing home staff, who gave her betablockers-the exact opposite medication that she needed for her heart condition. My Grandpa died shortly afterwards, we think from lonliness.

I've seen how bad healthcare can be for the aged, and Australia is frequently ranked as one of the better nations for aged health, above Atlasia (America). If something needs to be done here, it also needs to be done in Atlasia. There are no older voters in Atlasia, but that doesn't mean they should be ignored. We, as a community, must look into ways to improve aged care; nursing home or stay-at-home. If elected, I will work towards ensuring that your grandparentrs and parents have a better system then at present.

OK, so, time to take questions from the audience. Any issue is welcome form any Pacific resident, but if you're not a Pacifican I might not answer unless the question relates to aged healthcare.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies