SB 2018-235: Ensuring Cancer Pay Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:03:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2018-235: Ensuring Cancer Pay Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SB 2018-235: Ensuring Cancer Pay Act (Debating)  (Read 5189 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Haslam2020
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 07:24:28 PM »

I certainly support the idea behind this bill, but I would like to see it go further if that is possible. Here we see that paid is guaranteed for workers with cancer, but there are other illnesses that might cause someone to be out of work for some periods of time. Why shouldn't they get paid?

Basically, I'm saying that while this bill is a step in the right direction, paid sick leave for everyone would be something even more amazing.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 01:52:58 PM »

I do support the bill, although without wanting to be the heartless bastard here I do wonder about the potential impact in small businesses (considering, for example, that the employer of a small local business may struggle with having to pay a worker while he's undergoing treatment while having to hire another worker as, say, a replacement in the meantime).

I wonder if perhaps it wouldn't be wiser to enact some sort of program to help cover at least some part of the salary.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 10:28:56 PM »

I certainly support the idea behind this bill, but I would like to see it go further if that is possible. Here we see that paid is guaranteed for workers with cancer, but there are other illnesses that might cause someone to be out of work for some periods of time. Why shouldn't they get paid?

Basically, I'm saying that while this bill is a step in the right direction, paid sick leave for everyone would be something even more amazing.

I may actually amend this bill soon to include that, thank you for that suggestion.

I do support the bill, although without wanting to be the heartless bastard here I do wonder about the potential impact in small businesses (considering, for example, that the employer of a small local business may struggle with having to pay a worker while he's undergoing treatment while having to hire another worker as, say, a replacement in the meantime).

I wonder if perhaps it wouldn't be wiser to enact some sort of program to help cover at least some part of the salary.

I’ll certainly look into that. Thanks for raising that point. I’m probably going to amend the bill to include other diseases as well, but I believe putting something in place where the worker out struggling with disease could get paid half when they’re sick, and half of what wasn’t given when or if they come back.

Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 12:39:26 AM »

I offer the following amendment:

Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 06:11:20 PM »

What is a "serious disease"? You referenced that in section 2 but there is nothing differentiating serious diseases from ones that aren't serious. Except the word "serious".
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 09:39:37 PM »

I offer the following amendment:

*A serious disease preventing work could qualify/be defined by the following:

Cancers
Cutaneous Diseases
Endocrine Diseases
Eye Diseases/Disorders
Ear Diseases/Disorders
Intestinal Diseases
Infectious Diseases
Communication Disorders
Genetic Disorders
Neurological Disorders
Voice Disorders
Vulvovaginal Disorders
Kidney/Liver Disorders
Heart Disorders
Mental Illness

(Having any disease from this category that seriously impairs the worker/leaves them unable to work shall be eligible for this act.)

Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 07:55:53 AM »

Any concerns or comments?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 09:07:57 PM »

Could the government give businesses a subsidy which is attached on those businesses covering the cost? If so, what would be the cost and how do we think this should be funded?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 10:16:25 PM »

Also, what will be the cost to businesses?
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 11:03:18 PM »

Could the government give businesses a subsidy which is attached on those businesses covering the cost? If so, what would be the cost and how do we think this should be funded?

Yeah, I’m definitely not opposed to that. As we’re all aware, some businesses can’t cover this by themselves, so I’m not opposed to it helping being funded from current unemployment or subsidy programs. However, I’m leaning more towards creating a new subsidy.

Also, what will be the cost to businesses?

This’ll sound a bit off, but for example say... a man who work a desk job, makes 50,000 dollars a year, he’s just been diagnosed with cancer. I believe he should be entitled to his pay while on medical leave to combat the disease. However, I’m probably going to amend the bill yet again to include the new subsidy, and where funding can come from.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 11:05:24 PM »

Also for the subsidy would it be best to do for all businesses or restrict for only small businesses?
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 11:06:46 PM »

Also for the subsidy would it be best to do for all businesses or restrict for only small businesses?

Small. Big chains and corporations can pay the salaries of people who were already supposed to be paid. I believe a certain amount of revenue earned per year should dictate what classifies  as “small” in the bill. I’m open to suggestions.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 11:11:38 PM »

Small. Big chains and corporations can pay the salaries of people who were already supposed to be paid. I believe a certain amount of revenue earned per year should dictate what classifies  as “small” in the bill. I’m open to suggestions.

I'm leaning that way too, though was a bit concerned that it may decrease activity from bigger businesses. However it doesn't seem worth it to spend government miney-when we're running a deficit-on bigger businesses. The revenue earned per year was what I was thinking too so hope we can work together to amend this bill. What do people think would be a reasonable amount? Also are we sure that, if we don't fully subsidize all businesses, that it should come into immediate effect. Maybe a transition period, no more than a year I was thinking 6 months, would be suitable but at the same time that could be more harmful than helpful.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 06:49:26 PM »

An amendment will come within the next few days!
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 08:07:03 AM »

Where are we on this? Debate has been stop for over 20 days on this. Shall we move to a final vote?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 10:18:39 AM »

Im not sure if such a sweeping proposal as this is ready for a final vote just yet.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 11:47:44 AM »

Well, I will reach out to Sen Haslam and see if he is still going to put forth an admentment.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 08:43:37 AM »

What's going on with this?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 10:29:11 PM »

Ok Haslam.

Unless you indicate otherwise in the next 48 hours, I am going to assume you don't have an amendment and will begin working on one myself.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 04:36:26 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2018, 04:45:47 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

What is going on with this? While I might be obliged to consider assuming sponsorship as Haslam's successor there are several questions that I would have on this regards in terms of whether or not it is viable to fund this and whether or not the burden is too great for business to carry and would thus lead the expedition of the process of automation and the shedding of jobs/declining wages that such entails.

We most certainly have a need to ensure that we are providing for and helping those with chronic and terminal illness. We have done much to help with the preventative aspect through the passage of the Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017, with its coverage for preventative medicine. I have long held that preventative medicine is critical and should be funded at no charge either by private or public medicine, because it is 1) good policy to help people stay well as opposed to treating them in the emergency room, 2) it is good budgeting since it is cheaper to prevent than it is to cure, 3) it is good economics because it means fewer lost wages and lost jobs because of debilitating illness.

However, we still will have a lot of people who develop and who have already developed these illnesses and therefore there must be a reasonable policy solution that ensures that that they receive the care, the treatment and the support that they need and deserve. However, it is necessarily the case that such policies and programs are costly and therefore to proceed with need information with regards to the cost of the program and the impact economically on the businesses as well.

The government will not be able to cover or help anyone if the government itself is bankrupt and with a hostile China dictating our budgetary priorities in exchange for continuance of funding our debt. Unless until we get some idea of what the impact is in this regard, I cannot support and won't support this bill.

Therefore I ask of my colleagues the following, has a review been requested for this? Has it been completed? If it was requested how long ago was it requested and what is the likelihood for receiving it should it have been a while ago?

Also that begs another question what is the latest on the GM/Deputy GM/money/reviews/economics situation?

If someone doesn't answer me in 24 hours, I will send PMs to all five Senators. If no one responds me to in 48 hours, you'll see what happens...
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 02:50:08 AM »

Sestak, it's been 5 1/2 weeks, where is your amendment?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 06:53:00 AM »

Given that this bill has set on the floor for 5 months without a single amendment and is clearly not ready for a vote, can someone just FINALLY pull it? Sestak pulled my welfare reform bill from the floor which had actually been debated for sitting for far less time than this bill.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 02:14:28 AM »

If someone doesn't answer me in 24 hours, I will send PMs to all five Senators. If no one responds me to in 48 hours, you'll see what happens...
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 02:19:33 AM »

This needs a sponsor, potential sponsors please declare in 48 hours or I'll table this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies