SB 2018-235: Ensuring Cancer Pay Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:46:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2018-235: Ensuring Cancer Pay Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 2018-235: Ensuring Cancer Pay Act (Debating)  (Read 5240 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« on: June 26, 2018, 09:07:57 PM »

Could the government give businesses a subsidy which is attached on those businesses covering the cost? If so, what would be the cost and how do we think this should be funded?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 11:05:24 PM »

Also for the subsidy would it be best to do for all businesses or restrict for only small businesses?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 11:11:38 PM »

Also for the subsidy would it be best to do for all businesses or restrict for only small businesses?

Small. Big chains and corporations can pay the salaries of people who were already supposed to be paid. I believe a certain amount of revenue earned per year should dictate what classifies  as “small” in the bill. I’m open to suggestions.

I'm leaning that way too, though was a bit concerned that it may decrease activity from bigger businesses. However it doesn't seem worth it to spend government miney-when we're running a deficit-on bigger businesses. The revenue earned per year was what I was thinking too so hope we can work together to amend this bill. What do people think would be a reasonable amount? Also are we sure that, if we don't fully subsidize all businesses, that it should come into immediate effect. Maybe a transition period, no more than a year I was thinking 6 months, would be suitable but at the same time that could be more harmful than helpful.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 01:58:30 PM »

Amendment has been adopted.

Do we want to start looking at a subsidy for affected small business?

Yes, as I said earlier in this thread.

Also do we really want this to take effect immediately?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 03:11:13 AM »

Do we want to have this bill costed so we know the numbers that we are dealing with?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »

I believe there is probably left-over revenue from the Missing Alzheimer’s Disease Patient Alert Program Reauthorization Act(link). Therefore, I introduce the following amendment.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 02:09:17 PM »

Do we know how this bill will be funded?

I just submitted an amendment to that effect.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 02:03:36 PM »

I would object to any motion to kill the bill.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 06:03:53 PM »

Aye

Let's pass this!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 03:19:39 PM »

Guys there are still not enough votes on the framework, so I guess it fails...

What now?

Reintroduce it and PM everyone so we get to drag a majority down to vote and pass the framework, then move forward with passing the bill. Perseverance.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 03:56:21 AM »

We haven't finished yet, discussions are ongoing and I'm hopeful that Lechasseur and I will be able to make further progress in the coming week. Good things take time.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 04:24:46 AM »

It’s in everybody’s best interest if at least parts of these discussions were held on the floor (which AFAIK was more common pre-reset).

This is essentially writing a bill from scratch so I doubt how feasible that would be in reality as nice as it sounds in theory, people will of course get the chance to debate aspects of the bill and discuss it fully once it is fully written-which is not yet the case.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies