Safest place in the USA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:35:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Safest place in the USA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Safest place in the USA  (Read 3559 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2018, 07:54:20 AM »

depending on what you mean by "extreme heat and cold" and maybe "deadly animals", that would describe much of the middle of the country.

"Deadly animals"? Dogs, typically just above unarmed humans in the food chain, are everywhere. All that separates them from bears and big cats is good behavior.
The most dangerous of dogs maybe could be in the same level of danger as a mid sized black bear or mountain lion, but certainly not your average dog.  An adult should be able to defeat a black lab in unarmed combat, fairly easily.  I'd rather fight three rottweilers than one brown bear.

I did some Census work in 2010, and around noon I went to a house whose human inhabitants had left, but their four Rottweilers remained. I must have looked the wrong way at them. They did not slowly approach the door; they charged it. I was not sure how long the latch would last. I was able to back away slowly to my car. Those dogs must have thought that I was a burglar.

They suggested that they would attack as a group, and four such dogs make for all practical purposes one tiger. Remember that dogs have most of the usual characteristics of animals such as bears and Big Cats that we recognize as potential man-eaters: power, strength, agility, speed, cunning, and voracity. Their good behavior is all that keeps them from killing us. But remember: their good behavior depends upon our good behavior in their presence. Burglars of course are meat.

Most instances of lethal attacks of large predators upon people result from violation of that animal's territory. Unarmed, we do not defend ourselves well from any such animals, including dogs. Even the kitten-sized Yorkshire terrier can give people injuries requiring hospitalization. Bites and scratches (watch those claws!) are obvious enough, but any knock-down or take-down is effectively a fall, dangerous enough in its own right.

The 'trained attack dog' is less capricious than the ordinary dog, but it has been trained to attack much like a leopard, an animal within the range of size of dogs. It attacks without warning, not giving any preliminary roars -- excuse me, barks -- that scare one.

So -- don't burglarize houses. Don't lurk in shrubbery with the intention of committing a mugging. Just don't make a leopard or bear out of one large dog, or a tiger out of a pack of dogs.

Danger is all relative. The most dangerous animal is another human being, especially one working in concert with a murderous State. More people were killed in any of several Nazi murder camps than by all the bears, Big Cats, wolves, dogs, hyenas, crocodiles, and alligators combined. Second-most-dangerous is the mosquito, vector of malaria. For some, a bee sting is more dangerous than a bear attack. 

Some people still smoke. Some people still speed or drive drunk.  Some people stick around with abusive spouses. Go figure.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies