S.18.11: Firearms Reform Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:02:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.18.11: Firearms Reform Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.18.11: Firearms Reform Act (Tabled)  (Read 480 times)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2018, 06:33:27 AM »
« edited: June 16, 2018, 06:32:18 AM by Southern Speaker The Saint »

Firearms Reform Act

Be it enacted:

1. All persons in the South who attempt to purchase a firearm must complete an application prior to purchasing.

1a. The application must include, at the minimum:

a. Full legal name

b. Address of permanent residence

c. Criminal history

d. Mental health history

e. Past gun history (“Have you purchased a firearm before?” “Do you currently own a firearm?”)

1b. The application must be completed and returned to the seller a maximum of ten days upon being received.

2. The seller must submit the application for verification.

2a. If verified, the prospective buyer is permitted to purchase the firearm.

2b. If denied on the basis of false information, the prospective buyer is not permitted to purchase the firearm.

3. Upon purchasing, the seller must submit the full legal name and address of the buyer, as well as all relevant information about the firearm purchased, to the Southern Firearms Registry (see Section 4).

4. The Southern Firearms Registry is hereby established and shall keep records of firearms purchases in the South.

5. The sale and usage of bump stocks are hereby prohibited.

Sponsor: Speaker TheSaint250
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 07:49:33 AM »

Burn this with fire
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:29:21 AM »

Lol Tongue

What are some concerns? I would like to talk this out and make this bill the best it can be.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:38:25 PM »

I can go more in depth after work if need be, but I fear the privacy, cost, and ineffectiveness of this proposal. Self reporting is concerning, criminal history other than felonies and misdemeanor domestic assault is irrelevant as is mental health history other than a court order determiming incapacity. The mental health part could be interpreted as anti disability and may result in HIPPA violations if merely visiting a counselor or taking any sort of brain medicine is involved. Past gun history is irrelevant. A database of names and addresses could result in more burglaries to steal guns, since public records would tell burglars where to find them. The process is redundant due to the NICS background check which is already required under federal law. The Let's Try This Act already solved the bump stock issue. There would be a definite cost to create and manage the database, especially if the intent is for it to exist indefinitely. I do not foresee this actually stopping dangerous peoole from acquiring guns, merely imposing an additional waiting period on lawful gun purchases. And having a list of names is the first step to disarmament. And as there is currently 1 governor who openly wants me to go to jail for owning a rifle, I have no doubt that he would use such a list as part of a door to door confiscation scheme, and I have no desire to provide future such Governors with this tool.

Basically, I see lots of downsides, but no upside as it does not in any way prevent bad people from getting guns; it just inconveniences lawful citizens exercising a right and risks their privacy. I sure as hell dont want to be on a government list like this.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:05:26 PM »

Due to explanations provided by Mr. Reactionary, I will call a vote to table this bill and take more time to review issues and costs and come up with a more effective solution. 24 hours to consent for a vote to table.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 09:32:57 PM »

Purple heart
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 10:00:15 PM »

I'm voting against tabling this. This is very good legislation, and it should be much harder for people to buy guns in our region. Thank you for proposing this, Speaker Saint
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 06:47:24 PM »

Count me in as a vote in favor of tabling this bill.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 05:39:22 AM »

This bill has been tabled 2-1.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length