Poll: Do you agree with Sen Corker saying the GOP is in a "cult-like situation?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:16:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll: Do you agree with Sen Corker saying the GOP is in a "cult-like situation?"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you agree with Sen Corker (R-TN) saying the GOP is in a "cult-like situation" as it relates to Pres Trump?
Yes, absolutely
Yes, somewhat
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Poll: Do you agree with Sen Corker saying the GOP is in a "cult-like situation?"  (Read 4916 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »

Poll Question:
Do you agree with Sen Corker (R-TN) saying the GOP is in a "cult-like situation" as it relates to President Trump?

Vote and discuss.

Related interview (video) that happened today, June 13th, with Senator Corker.
Watch it here: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/06/13/sen-bob-corker-trump-gop-cult-comments.cnn
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 04:53:21 PM »

Republican beatings will continue until morale improves
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:56:49 PM »

Yes, to Trump and a number of other evils the Pumpkin Pestilence epitomizes. I applaud him for speaking out, although it would have been even more accurate to avoid shading the truth with 'cult-like' and just gone with 'cult'.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 05:50:51 PM »

This column in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution said it better than I could:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 06:05:52 PM »

Obviously (sane)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »

Trump’s control over his base is quite reminiscent to the control Jim Jones had over his followers at Jonestown. Trump supporters actually would drink the Kool Aid if he told them to.
uti2

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 06:21:29 PM »

Trump’s control over his base is quite reminiscent to the control Jim Jones had over his followers at Jonestown. Trump supporters actually would drink the Kool Aid if he told them to.

All these media institutions like Fox and Hannity built their careers up under Bush after 9/11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPABLW6F_A

They made their careers promoting the Iraq War day in and day out.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 06:50:14 PM »

Obvious Yes.

How else can you explain all the sudden 180's on policy?   Suddenly the Republicans love the Russians?  Meeting with the dictator of North Korea is a wonderful moment?   Free Trade is evil?   

I mean all the racist stuff was always there, but some of this stuff is just getting ridiculous.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 06:53:24 PM »

Trump’s approvals with republicans is less than what Bush’s were with Republicans all throughout his first term and uptil Katrina
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 07:01:21 PM »

I don't really see how Donald Trump is any different from previous conservative leaders.  He's just more direct and blunt - everything he stands for is what the conservative movement has always stood for.  It's just a new coat of the same paint.

Basically if you go back 100 years you'll find there's always been a nativist, nationalist, white grievance movement in this country and that cultural conservatives (whether they were Democrats or Republicans) have always been aligned with those beliefs.

Donald Trump, the Bushes, Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon - they are all the same, just different in their personal style.  All of them were the candidates of white conservative America.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 07:03:23 PM »

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 07:07:47 PM »

Family values, conservatism, morality, American patriotism--it's all out the window under Trump.

The Republican Party is dead; and it deserved to die, frankly.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 07:19:51 PM »

I get a lot of people here are on the young side but have we totally Memory-holed the way people talked about GWB pre-Katrina? The big difference with Trump is that he’s so damn thin-skinned that everyone is afraid of provoking him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 07:24:41 PM »

They know how to shrink the government, but with dealing with urban poverty and homelessness and immigration, they haven't done well at all; as a result, this is why the country is as polarized as it is.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 07:25:10 PM »

Yes, as I have felt for close to two years at this point.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 07:31:04 PM »

I don't really see how Donald Trump is any different from previous conservative leaders.  He's just more direct and blunt - everything he stands for is what the conservative movement has always stood for.  It's just a new coat of the same paint.

Basically if you go back 100 years you'll find there's always been a nativist, nationalist, white grievance movement in this country and that cultural conservatives (whether they were Democrats or Republicans) have always been aligned with those beliefs.

Donald Trump, the Bushes, Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon - they are all the same, just different in their personal style.  All of them were the candidates of white conservative America.

Nonsense. The Buchanan candidacy showed that GOP elites were disconnected from their culturally conservative base. By HW Bush the cracks were there. Also, to put Eisenhower and Nixon in this group, or honestly even Hoover and Coolidge, is ludicrous.

Sure, I disagree with most of the Republican talking points from 1920s-1990s. But this is something totally different- a near racial movement that is trying to take control over the country.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »

Yes, but Corker is all talk no action.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 09:12:33 PM »

We are not going to be that fortunate.

Trump and his cult are going to do far, far more harm than Jim Jones and his followers.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 09:50:30 PM »

Trump’s approvals with republicans is less than what Bush’s were with Republicans all throughout his first term and uptil Katrina
Uh, 9/11 and Iraq are clearly behind that.

The cult-like hold Pumpkin Pol Pot has over elected Republicans is clear.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 09:55:13 PM »

No one remembers the Bush administration?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 10:19:05 PM »

There was indeed much unwavering and unquestioning support for George W. Bush up until 2005-2006. Plenty of people were called unpatriotic for criticizing him. Republicans heavily value control and will guard it fiercely, but that mentality is only being paid attention to now by more people because of who is the President is.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 10:26:02 PM »

He is just the figurehead of his party at the time. The same as was with Ronald Reagan or George W. Bush.

One thing I notice about liberals is that they constantly want change, to the point of sometimes pushing too hard too fast. Donald Trump is not that politically different from Reagan or Clinton. Bill Clinton stood infront of African American prisoners for a photo opportunity. Bill Clinton said we needed to end illegal immigration. As Tom Brokaw once said, "On race, he (Reagan) was stuck in the late 1930s/early 1940s." Trump really isn't even as "radical" according to what the left believes is radical. But Obama was. That's the key.

Liberals, especially the youngest among us, have no memory of the post Reagan/Bush America of the 1990s, or the gung-ho wartime attitude that permeated following September 11, 2001. They might not realize what an aberration Barack Obama was for the United States. I'm not speaking about the color of his skin, I'm speaking about his relatively negative view of the United States in the grand scheme of things. From his "cling to guns and religion" comments to saying "police acted stupidly" to saying "I don't want to get into a notion of America winning" to telling Christians to "get off your high horse". No American President would have EVER said that stuff, regardless of being a Democrat or Republican. Ever.

He said and did things that, in the context of the 43 other men who occupied the office, was disgraceful and came across "un-American". All Donald Trump did, was steer the wheel back to the middle ground. To young idealistic liberals, that's "extreme". But to millions of other Americans, Trump is more normal than Barack Obama.

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 10:31:48 PM »

He is just the figurehead of his party at the time. The same as was with Ronald Reagan or George W. Bush.

One thing I notice about liberals is that they constantly want change, to the point of sometimes pushing too hard too fast. Donald Trump is not that politically different from Reagan or Clinton. Bill Clinton stood infront of African American prisoners for a photo opportunity. Bill Clinton said we needed to end illegal immigration. As Tom Brokaw once said, "On race, he (Reagan) was stuck in the late 1930s/early 1940s." Trump really isn't even as "radical" according to what the left believes is radical. But Obama was. That's the key.

Liberals, especially the youngest among us, have no memory of the post Reagan/Bush America of the 1990s, or the gung-ho wartime attitude that permeated following September 11, 2001. They might not realize what an aberration Barack Obama was for the United States. I'm not speaking about the color of his skin, I'm speaking about his relatively negative view of the United States in the grand scheme of things. From his "cling to guns and religion" comments to saying "police acted stupidly" to saying "I don't want to get into a notion of America winning" to telling Christians to "get off your high horse". No American President would have EVER said that stuff, regardless of being a Democrat or Republican. Ever.

He said and did things that, in the context of the 43 other men who occupied the office, was disgraceful and came across "un-American". All Donald Trump did, was steer the wheel back to the middle ground. To young idealistic liberals, that's "extreme". But to millions of other Americans, Trump is more normal than Barack Obama.

If you are right - and I don't think you are - then our country is sick, and has been sick for a very long time. But hey, luckily here is Trump, just in time to 'steer' that brand of brand of bigoted jingoism (new or old, doesn't matter) into a well-deserved grave. (Anyone who can't see that Trump is eviscerating America, body and soul, is willing themselves to foolish ignorance.) The problem is all the destruction he and his RussianRepublican cult are going to inflict getting there.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 10:47:41 PM »

If you are right - and I don't think you are - then our country is sick, and has been sick for a very long time. But hey, luckily here is Trump, just in time to 'steer' that brand of brand of bigoted jingoism (new or old, doesn't matter) into a well-deserved grave. (Anyone who can't see that Trump is eviscerating America, body and soul, is willing themselves to foolish ignorance.) The problem is all the destruction he and his RussianRepublican cult are going to inflict getting there.

Let me tell you something I never told anyone for the last year and a half.

As I was walking into the polling place to vote in November 2016, I was walking behind a man, maybe in his 30s, disabled walking with those two canes attached to his arms. As I'm walking he turns to me and says, "Sorry I'm holding you up!" and I said, "Ah no worries, bud." Just then I realized I was about to vote for a man for President of the United States who mocked a disabled reporter. I had a mili-second of thought about it. Then I waited for my turn, and voted for Donald J. Trump to win Ohio's 18 electoral votes, and become the 45th President of the United States.

Don't think we all dismiss everything Trump has done that we disagreed with.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 10:54:23 PM »

Don't think we all dismiss everything Trump has done that we disagreed with.
Huh? You rewarded his behavior by voting for him. That little story you told doesn't change that.

And your comments, re: Obama, I'm glad you admitted that not kowtowing to white Christian fragility is "un-American". This country has terrorized people deemed as "others" for centuries, and a President who acknowledged this somehow makes you and others like you uncomfortable.

Obama's words were disgraceful but the horrendous actions that provide the context of those words are not? Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies