Poll: Do you agree with Sen Corker saying the GOP is in a "cult-like situation?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:57:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll: Do you agree with Sen Corker saying the GOP is in a "cult-like situation?"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do you agree with Sen Corker (R-TN) saying the GOP is in a "cult-like situation" as it relates to Pres Trump?
Yes, absolutely
Yes, somewhat
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Poll: Do you agree with Sen Corker saying the GOP is in a "cult-like situation?"  (Read 4853 times)
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 10:55:17 PM »

He is just the figurehead of his party at the time. The same as was with Ronald Reagan or George W. Bush.

One thing I notice about liberals is that they constantly want change, to the point of sometimes pushing too hard too fast. Donald Trump is not that politically different from Reagan or Clinton. Bill Clinton stood infront of African American prisoners for a photo opportunity. Bill Clinton said we needed to end illegal immigration. As Tom Brokaw once said, "On race, he (Reagan) was stuck in the late 1930s/early 1940s." Trump really isn't even as "radical" according to what the left believes is radical. But Obama was. That's the key.

Liberals, especially the youngest among us, have no memory of the post Reagan/Bush America of the 1990s, or the gung-ho wartime attitude that permeated following September 11, 2001. They might not realize what an aberration Barack Obama was for the United States. I'm not speaking about the color of his skin, I'm speaking about his relatively negative view of the United States in the grand scheme of things. From his "cling to guns and religion" comments to saying "police acted stupidly" to saying "I don't want to get into a notion of America winning" to telling Christians to "get off your high horse". No American President would have EVER said that stuff, regardless of being a Democrat or Republican. Ever.

He said and did things that, in the context of the 43 other men who occupied the office, was disgraceful and came across "un-American". All Donald Trump did, was steer the wheel back to the middle ground. To young idealistic liberals, that's "extreme". But to millions of other Americans, Trump is more normal than Barack Obama.

Obama said things that, quite frankly, needed to be said. For all this crap I hear about Trump being a "tell-it-like-it-is" guy, Obama was far more honest about the flaws in American society that we need to address.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 11:08:47 PM »

Huh? You rewarded his behavior by voting for him. That little story you told doesn't change that.

And your comments, re: Obama, I'm glad you admitted that not kowtowing to white Christian fragility is "un-American". This country has terrorized people deemed as "others" for centuries, and a President who acknowledged this somehow makes you and others like you uncomfortable.

Obama's words were disgraceful but the horrendous actions that provide the context of those words are not? Roll Eyes
I agree 100%.

Obama said things that, quite frankly, needed to be said. For all this crap I hear about Trump being a "tell-it-like-it-is" guy, Obama was far more honest about the flaws in American society that we need to address.
This is the truth!

Also, I'll add in Jimmy Carter. He rightfully criticized Americans with his "Crisis of Confidence" speech.

However, as usual, Americans (in general) are too arrogant for introspection.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 11:10:10 PM »

He is just the figurehead of his party at the time. The same as was with Ronald Reagan or George W. Bush.

One thing I notice about liberals is that they constantly want change, to the point of sometimes pushing too hard too fast. Donald Trump is not that politically different from Reagan or Clinton. Bill Clinton stood infront of African American prisoners for a photo opportunity. Bill Clinton said we needed to end illegal immigration. As Tom Brokaw once said, "On race, he (Reagan) was stuck in the late 1930s/early 1940s." Trump really isn't even as "radical" according to what the left believes is radical. But Obama was. That's the key.

Liberals, especially the youngest among us, have no memory of the post Reagan/Bush America of the 1990s, or the gung-ho wartime attitude that permeated following September 11, 2001. They might not realize what an aberration Barack Obama was for the United States. I'm not speaking about the color of his skin, I'm speaking about his relatively negative view of the United States in the grand scheme of things. From his "cling to guns and religion" comments to saying "police acted stupidly" to saying "I don't want to get into a notion of America winning" to telling Christians to "get off your high horse". No American President would have EVER said that stuff, regardless of being a Democrat or Republican. Ever.

He said and did things that, in the context of the 43 other men who occupied the office, was disgraceful and came across "un-American". All Donald Trump did, was steer the wheel back to the middle ground. To young idealistic liberals, that's "extreme". But to millions of other Americans, Trump is more normal than Barack Obama.

It's not proper political etiquette. I remember six years ago when Mitt Romney went on a foreign trip to some country and made an insult, I told a buddy of mine, "That's like being invited to someone's house and criticizing their furniture."

I believe Obama was the aberration. Why do you think the conspiracy nuts always think he was some sort of a Manchurian candidate? He was so foreign from the other 43 men who occupied the office. I mean, for example, Presidential administrations never sent White House officials to the funerals of police killed in the line of duty. True. But they NEVER NEVER NEVER would even slightly possibly give ANY consideration to sending White House officials to the funerals of felons justifiably killed by law enforcement. Shootings cleared by grand jury. Think about that statement. How foreign to all previous precedents set by White House officials in the past was that?

I believe TRUMP is more normal than Obama. Sincerely, I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm being honest. I used to see posts on his forum two years ago estimating that Trump would receive like, 39 million voters or something like that. I remember saying, "You realize even if he loses, he's likely getting 59-62 million?" and I would get mocked. Basically, in a nutshell, the American public by and large, alot of it, normalized Donald Trump. Then when he was "bad", they had an EXTREMELY HIGH tolerance for him.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 11:11:37 PM »

It's not proper political etiquette. I remember six years ago when Mitt Romney went on a foreign trip to some country and made an insult, I told a buddy of mine, "That's like being invited to someone's house and criticizing their furniture."

I believe Obama was the aberration. Why do you think the conspiracy nuts always think he was some sort of a Manchurian candidate? He was so foreign from the other 43 men who occupied the office. I mean, for example, Presidential administrations never sent White House officials to the funerals of police killed in the line of duty. True. But they NEVER NEVER NEVER would even slightly possibly give ANY consideration to sending White House officials to the funerals of felons justifiably killed by law enforcement. Shootings cleared by grand jury. Think about that statement. How foreign to all previous precedents set by White House officials in the past was that?

I believe TRUMP is more normal than Obama. Sincerely, I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm being honest. I used to see posts on his forum two years ago estimating that Trump would receive like, 39 million voters or something like that. I remember saying, "You realize even if he loses, he's likely getting 59-62 million?" and I would get mocked. Basically, in a nutshell, the American public by and large, alot of it, normalized Donald Trump. Then when he was "bad", they had an EXTREMELY HIGH tolerance for him.
You are an extremely demented and deranged person.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 11:12:46 PM »

I don't really see how Donald Trump is any different from previous conservative leaders.  He's just more direct and blunt - everything he stands for is what the conservative movement has always stood for.  It's just a new coat of the same paint.

Basically if you go back 100 years you'll find there's always been a nativist, nationalist, white grievance movement in this country and that cultural conservatives (whether they were Democrats or Republicans) have always been aligned with those beliefs.

Donald Trump, the Bushes, Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon - they are all the same, just different in their personal style.  All of them were the candidates of white conservative America.

Nonsense. The Buchanan candidacy showed that GOP elites were disconnected from their culturally conservative base. By HW Bush the cracks were there. Also, to put Eisenhower and Nixon in this group, or honestly even Hoover and Coolidge, is ludicrous.

Sure, I disagree with most of the Republican talking points from 1920s-1990s. But this is something totally different- a near racial movement that is trying to take control over the country.

Republicans in the 1920s were more right wing than Republicans are  now
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 11:13:24 PM »

Trump’s position on Trade and America’s role in the world is far more radical than anything Obama actually did .
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 11:14:40 PM »

Trump’s position on Trade and America’s role in the world is far more radical than anything Obama actually did .

But you see Obama hurt Naso’s fee fees
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 11:16:14 PM »

Obama’s Foreign Policy was far more Reaganite than Trump’s Foreign Policy is
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 11:18:34 PM »

That is true. Says more about Trump than the other two.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 11:25:55 PM »

That is true. Says more about Trump than the other two.

Of course it does and I would say his foreign policy was closer to Reagan’s than Bush’s who’s neo conservativism would have been opposed by Reagan.

In his administration the main Reaganite , Colin Powell  was cast aside
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 11:31:54 PM »

I don't really see how Donald Trump is any different from previous conservative leaders.  He's just more direct and blunt - everything he stands for is what the conservative movement has always stood for.  It's just a new coat of the same paint.

Basically if you go back 100 years you'll find there's always been a nativist, nationalist, white grievance movement in this country and that cultural conservatives (whether they were Democrats or Republicans) have always been aligned with those beliefs.

Donald Trump, the Bushes, Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon - they are all the same, just different in their personal style.  All of them were the candidates of white conservative America.

Nonsense. The Buchanan candidacy showed that GOP elites were disconnected from their culturally conservative base. By HW Bush the cracks were there. Also, to put Eisenhower and Nixon in this group, or honestly even Hoover and Coolidge, is ludicrous.

Sure, I disagree with most of the Republican talking points from 1920s-1990s. But this is something totally different- a near racial movement that is trying to take control over the country.

Maybe, especially on economics. However, the most culturally conservative people were probably Democrats at that time!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 11:41:21 PM »

Maybe, especially on economics. However, the most culturally conservative people were probably Democrats at that time!

The 1924 Immigrantion Act passed under GOP rule

The GOP was very anti catholic then too

Also they were much more vigorous in support of prohibition than the Dems too
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 11:50:16 PM »

Just to remind everyone what the political climate was like in 2002, Max Cleland, who had lost 3 limbs in Nam, voted for the multi-trillion dollar Iraq war because he was scared of what what would happen to him if he voted nay, and he still had an ad comparing him to Bin Laden run, and he lost anyways.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2018, 11:55:33 PM »

The 1924 Immigrantion Act passed under GOP rule

The GOP was very anti catholic then too

Also they were much more vigorous in support of prohibition than the Dems too

In my view, that was rural vs urban, not Dem. v. Rep.

Yes, so were many Democrats in the South and the Midwest.

Need I remind you that a lot of the strongest supporters of Prohibition were Southerners?

Listen, I'm not saying that the GOP didn't have significant strains of cultural conservatism back then. However, it was more eclectic, with different factions being more or less conservative. It wasn't like it is now. For cultural issues, that can be scary.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2018, 12:04:59 AM »

... I believe TRUMP is more normal than Obama. Sincerely, I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm being honest.

This is both absurd and insane.
You're a perfect example of the thread's topic as it relates to a cult-like mentality.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2018, 01:41:24 AM »

Yes, there is a bizarre TRUMP cult. Every GOPer to speak out against him gets in trouble.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2018, 01:52:49 AM »

He has reshaped the Republican agenda as even Ronald Reagan couldn't, and he has done so faster and more completely. Reagan was slightly to the right of the Republican mainstream and was willing to take many verbal risks only to back off is those risks went bad. Trump doubles down and casts aspersions on anyone who fails to recognize how wonderful he is.

Donald Trump is already developing a totalitarian-style personality cult.  What he has not done is a purge of law enforcement (which is almost entirely state and local, anyway) and the Armed Forces (inertia). He sees America having no excuse for failing to coalesce around His Glorious Leadership.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Bill Clinton was a 'tough law-and-order' man. Obama is a stickler for legal niceties, but on the whole, his attitude is that it is best to not do the crime.

Like most fascists, Trump is willing to take some left-wing appeals to convince those on the other side. Tariffs for jobs! But never forget that the objective of Donald Trump is a social order in which 95% suffer for 2%. He is for low wages, high profits (especially from monopolization and privatization), lax regulation so long as the benefits are 'economic' for an elite that backs him. He wants government to represent economic interests above all else, and the bigger the economic interest the more righteous is the share in government. That is Mussolini's Corporate State. Of course, we Americans already have the questionable innovation of government by lobbyist.

Barack Obama could not understand the tribal shift in politics that focused upon ethnic identity as opposed to class interest. He could not understand why rural white people had been going to the political Right, as he was brought up believing (and Obama is now older than the national average as he approaches his 57th birthday) that Democrats are for working people and small farmers while Republicans are for the fat-cats. Yes, it really is about guns and religion; the National Rifle Association has scared people who own a hunting rifle that the liberals for gun control want to take away the deer rifle that is part of the annual excursion to hunt down a deer  for venison, and the Religious Right has been successful in scaring people that abortion means that females can get away with sexual immodesty and amorality.

America was definitely not winning in economics and foreign policy in 2008.  Paradoxically, President Obama got conservative results on economics and foreign policy, the latter by going back to what works.

But Trump stands to get bad results. At that, he reminds people of the harsh owner or manager who bullies his subordinates with such a pitch as "Why aren't you suffering more to make me even more filthy-rich?" Donald Trump is normal, all right, if you want someone to serve as a Marxist stereotype of capitalism being led by plutocrats and executives who know restraints on neither indulgence, power, or gain of themselves and suffering for everyone else. For Donald Trump the plutocratic order that he cherishes is a Marxist stereotype of capitalism; the difference is that he endorses what most people consider brutal and inexcusable excess.    
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2018, 04:22:08 AM »

That's how parties work, and why the GOP has consistently elected Presidents even when they lost 4 of those times.

The big-tent and non-cultishness cost of a lot capital for Democrats. Meanwhile when FDR, JFK, LBJ, Clinton and Obama did have clout and went for it...lots of things got done given the opposition.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2018, 05:43:18 AM »

... I believe TRUMP is more normal than Obama. Sincerely, I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm being honest.

You are right, that weirdo Obama never posted a photo of his package on the internet like all Real Americans do.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2018, 08:10:39 AM »

Yes, but so are democrats
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2018, 08:13:17 AM »

LMAO
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2018, 08:15:52 AM »

Who is their equivalent figure to Trump?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2018, 08:27:55 AM »

Barack Obama, circa 2008-09.  Though it was brief, and nothing quite like the alarming hero-worship of Donald Trump that we are seeing now. 
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2018, 08:48:32 AM »

There's nearly always a time when there's a figure in politics that has an almost cult-like following, but Trump takes it to the extreme.

It shouldn't be a huge surprise though, because in the years prior to Trump, Republican candidates particularly have tapped in and wielded cultural resentment as a cudgel to keep their followers engaged. The "Us vs. Them" and persecution message is dangerously effective. Of course, for a message like this to gain traction, there has to be something very wrong in society for it to reach out beyond the fringes.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2018, 08:53:12 AM »

There's nearly always a time when there's a figure in politics that has an almost cult-like following, but Trump takes it to the extreme.

It shouldn't be a huge surprise though, because in the years prior to Trump, Republican candidates particularly have tapped in and wielded cultural resentment as a cudgel to keep their followers engaged. The "Us vs. Them" and persecution message is dangerously effective. Of course, for a message like this to gain traction, there has to be something very wrong in society for it to reach out beyond the fringes.

I think, more than anything, people underestimated how much of a reaction there’d be to a massive generational change in power that coincided with a demographic changeover and changing norms on cultural issues. Had any of these happened in a vacuum, that’d be one thing. All three together was bound to trigger a response.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies