Poll: Do you agree with Sen Corker saying the GOP is in a "cult-like situation?" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:24:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll: Do you agree with Sen Corker saying the GOP is in a "cult-like situation?" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you agree with Sen Corker (R-TN) saying the GOP is in a "cult-like situation" as it relates to Pres Trump?
Yes, absolutely
Yes, somewhat
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Poll: Do you agree with Sen Corker saying the GOP is in a "cult-like situation?"  (Read 4934 times)
WritOfCertiorari

« on: June 13, 2018, 07:31:04 PM »

I don't really see how Donald Trump is any different from previous conservative leaders.  He's just more direct and blunt - everything he stands for is what the conservative movement has always stood for.  It's just a new coat of the same paint.

Basically if you go back 100 years you'll find there's always been a nativist, nationalist, white grievance movement in this country and that cultural conservatives (whether they were Democrats or Republicans) have always been aligned with those beliefs.

Donald Trump, the Bushes, Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon - they are all the same, just different in their personal style.  All of them were the candidates of white conservative America.

Nonsense. The Buchanan candidacy showed that GOP elites were disconnected from their culturally conservative base. By HW Bush the cracks were there. Also, to put Eisenhower and Nixon in this group, or honestly even Hoover and Coolidge, is ludicrous.

Sure, I disagree with most of the Republican talking points from 1920s-1990s. But this is something totally different- a near racial movement that is trying to take control over the country.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 11:31:54 PM »

I don't really see how Donald Trump is any different from previous conservative leaders.  He's just more direct and blunt - everything he stands for is what the conservative movement has always stood for.  It's just a new coat of the same paint.

Basically if you go back 100 years you'll find there's always been a nativist, nationalist, white grievance movement in this country and that cultural conservatives (whether they were Democrats or Republicans) have always been aligned with those beliefs.

Donald Trump, the Bushes, Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon - they are all the same, just different in their personal style.  All of them were the candidates of white conservative America.

Nonsense. The Buchanan candidacy showed that GOP elites were disconnected from their culturally conservative base. By HW Bush the cracks were there. Also, to put Eisenhower and Nixon in this group, or honestly even Hoover and Coolidge, is ludicrous.

Sure, I disagree with most of the Republican talking points from 1920s-1990s. But this is something totally different- a near racial movement that is trying to take control over the country.

Republicans in the 1920s were more right wing than Republicans are  now

Maybe, especially on economics. However, the most culturally conservative people were probably Democrats at that time!
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:55:33 PM »

Republicans in the 1920s were more right wing than Republicans are  now

Maybe, especially on economics. However, the most culturally conservative people were probably Democrats at that time!

The 1924 Immigrantion Act passed under GOP rule

The GOP was very anti catholic then too

Also they were much more vigorous in support of prohibition than the Dems too

In my view, that was rural vs urban, not Dem. v. Rep.

Yes, so were many Democrats in the South and the Midwest.

Need I remind you that a lot of the strongest supporters of Prohibition were Southerners?

Listen, I'm not saying that the GOP didn't have significant strains of cultural conservatism back then. However, it was more eclectic, with different factions being more or less conservative. It wasn't like it is now. For cultural issues, that can be scary.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies