Was Clinton unbeatable in 1996? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:53:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Was Clinton unbeatable in 1996? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was Clinton unbeatable in 1996?  (Read 3392 times)
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« on: June 19, 2018, 12:39:50 PM »

Clinton was running far ahead of Dole in September and October.  I remember he had a 10 point lead in Georgia in October 1996 and he was in range in states like Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas (and of course, he won Louisiana and Arkansas by big margins)--hard to believe today.

Dole made somewhat of a comeback by late October.  The DNC financing controversy regarding China helped him somewhat.  Plus, his 96 hour nonstop run at the end of the campaign brought him a lot of goodwill and brought the base out to vote.  And the Republican vote was more out in force than usual to hold the majority in the House and Senate.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:06:12 PM »

Clinton was running far ahead of Dole in September and October.  I remember he had a 10 point lead in Georgia in October 1996 and he was in range in states like Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas (and of course, he won Louisiana and Arkansas by big margins)--hard to believe today.

How was this possible? Wouldn't the evangelicals and gun owners be hostile to Clinton?
Plus, his 96 hour nonstop run at the end of the campaign brought him a lot of goodwill and brought the base out to vote.  
Could you point me to somewhere where I can learn about this?

Here is the link from the November 4, 1996 article in the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1996/11/04/dole-charges-on-in-california-quest/c2835a36-c67a-4153-8332-6135faa1d939/?utm_term=.c30fb49affe0

The 96 hour tour may have helped Dole pick up Georgia, Colorado, Montana, and South Dakota.   Again, it amazes me how noncompetitive the Democrats have become in so much of the country in such a short period of time!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies